FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
blanked

Campsite lighting

blanked

I find my Coleman propane lantern too old fashioned .  It’s bulky, fragile, and outdated.  Any LED lighting that is small, not too bright that it hurts your eyes and durable

flashlite needed also

whiskyjack

I really like my old Coleman lantern that runs on Naptha. Something about that hissing sound that screams camping to my mind.

Now for a flashlight, LED is the way to go. I have a small one made by Fenix that fits my jacket pocket. Throws 1000 Lumen on high setting.

Perfect for when something goes bump in the dark!

Jeff

E.Young

I feel like you really miss out on something when you light the campsite with battery powered lights. The flickering and the sound and the glow, all requisite parts of the best experience. I'm very pro Coleman lantern. 

Remo

A Coleman rechargeable lamp works slick.

Brad H
On 11/2/2018 at 8:09 PM, whiskyjack said:

I really like my old Coleman lantern that runs on Naptha. Something about that hissing sound that screams camping to my mind.

Now for a flashlight, LED is the way to go. I have a small one made by Fenix that fits my jacket pocket. Throws 1000 Lumen on high setting.

Perfect for when something goes bump in the dark!

Jeff

I have to agree with Jeff, I have LED Lights, Propane Lights. But I really like the White Gas Lantern. I like the hissing and the glow. I reminds me of my childhood when things were much simpler. Call me old fashioned. 

aje4

I collect Coleman lanterns....love the hisssss.....and great light they produce.

anyone have a “gold bond” Coleman they want to get rid of let me know.  It’s a yellow one they only made for a couple years....thanks

mccuha

I have both gas and propane lanterns. I like both but propane is more convienant.  I have a very small light that works off batteries that’s made by Coleman that we put in the tent.  The problem I see with electric lighting is you have to supply the power whether battery , outlet or generator. In a primitive site that’s more of a hastle than I want. As far as flashlights. I’ve been using a bushnell head lamp  250 lumens it’s works great  it takes AA batteries and the life of the batteries is a very long time.  Also it can be had from Walmart 

Chukarman

I use several "electric torches" AKA flashlights, but really like the old kerosene or white gas lanterns. They are a bit fussy sometimes, require new mantles to be prepped, etc., but they provide the correct ambiance for a tent camp.

Joel S.

For my off-grid cabin I added a Dietz #90 hurricane lantern, which i use in place of the Coleman gas lantern frequently. It burns a long time on little fuel, doesn't require pumping or mantles, and it runs silent. Nice and bright, though not as bright as a Coleman. It's a favorite of far North bush cabin folks.

Field Grade

Coleman for me as well... I have a 1938 220 Coleman white gas lantern with nickel silver fount. That is one piece of gear that has been completely reliable through all the years (I bought it 20 years ago at a barn sale for $25.) They really made them well back then.

I also have a Dietz like Joel mentions. General purpose kerosene lamp. Very dependable. But not as bright as the Coleman -- they don't call Coleman 'Sunshine of the Night' for nothin!

rjj

EllieGSP

Been picking up kerosene Aladdin Lamps from flea markets and rebuilding them.   They can be a little picky until you get use to them, but put off a brighter slightly whiter light.  Quieter than the Coleman lanterns when used in indoors so the Coleman lanterns are used in reserve now. - b

salmontogue
3 minutes ago, EllieGSP said:

Been picking up kerosene Aladdin Lamps from flea markets and rebuilding them.   They can be a little picky until you get use to them, but put off a brighter slightly whiter light.  Quieter than the Coleman lanterns when used in indoors so the Coleman lanterns are used in reserve now. - b

When we bought our camp aka lake house in the eighties, there were five antique Aladdin lamps that were left for us.  The electric service was undependable but the landline service was quite good.  Now it is the opposite, electric service is mostly reliable but the landline service has become so bad that we cancelled it and use cellphones with a stationary booster, actually a repeater system.

We use the Aladdins during power failures and when wanting to create a feeling of nostalgia.  They throw a considerable amount of heat.

Perk

Sage Hen

I love my old Coleman and my Dietz lanterns but for a camping flashlight I take my 18 volt Milwaukee LED rechargeable. It uses the same batteries as the sawzall that is handy for camp firewood.

Kansas Bound

This Milwaukee lantern is hard to beat for me. I am really impressed with it.

UplandHntr
4 minutes ago, Kansas Bound said:

This Milwaukee lantern is hard to beat for me. I am really impressed with it.

My son just showed me this light an hour ago at HD.  He has every Milwaukee tool known to mankind so I suspect he will have that one before too long.   Said that thing is the cats ass