FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Dogwood

Years 2015-2017. Ford F 150 or Chevy Silverado?

Dogwood

Not interested in Tundra or Ram. Unless you think the Rams are equally dependable.  Like the 150 but want to keep my options open. Thoughts?  

bobman

I rent new pickups virtually every week because of my weird job at the current time training a bunch of new people in various states I travel almost every week for a long distance

I rent from enterprise fords chevys and rams they are all real nice

I’m of the belief that are all similar in reliability but have some unique features that one person would like and another wouldn’t be interested.

I like the Rams with the Hemi, the fords and chevys really spin up the rpms to make power and the Ram dial transmission selector is also handy but I wonder about all these things done with electronics vs linkages if you keep your trucks for a long time. the rams feel like they make more torque at lower rpms

the Ram has the best Bluetooth system IMO

the port to plug in a gps in the ram is in a stupid location and hits your knee which is aggravating on long drives

the fords are nice but have aggravating Bluetooth setups not very intuitive and that stupid auto engine off feature is something I hate, you have to disable it every time you drive somewhere. The fords rear seat folds up and exposes the floor so it’s very handy for loading things you want on the floor

the chevys are the quietest on the road really amazing how quiet they are.

they all have minor features but not much difference I would just buy the best deal

before I started having to rent trucks 2-3 weeks a month I would of probably bought a ford but now I guess my preference would be the Ram

Dogwood

In my area used Chevys and Rams are $3-5000 cheaper than comparably equipped Fords.

dogrunner

FORD  go with the 2017. 

Dogwood

FWIW I'm a stickler for comfortable seat ergonomics/telescopic steering wheel etc.  And straight line driving stability at highway speeds; which is why I don't care for Tundras.  They seem to need constant steering corrections which is aggravating on long drives.

Thanks for your response Bobman; maybe I wrote off the Rams too soon.

Why the 2017 dogrunner?

bobman

Why don’t you rent one of each for a day and see which one suits you 

take a long several hour drive in each and get a feel for it

River19

Bobman has some good advice there if it is something you can pull off.

For what it is worth from Consumer Reports for those years the Ford and Ram scored better than the GM 1500s.  That being said, the Tundra clobbered all of them in CR, but if you don't like the handling steer clear of it.

Everyone is making a really decent truck these days, it's like ordering a steak in cattle country, no restaurant will keep its doors open without cooking a good steak.  For a full sized truck to even be viable in today's market it has to be a solid product.

Dogwood

A friend has a 2015 F 150 that I've driven long distance and found to be very comfortable.  And the flat floor in the crew cab sure is handy.  Maybe I already know.

dogrunner
1 hour ago, Dogwood said:

FWIW I'm a stickler for comfortable seat ergonomics/telescopic steering wheel etc.  And straight line driving stability at highway speeds; which is why I don't care for Tundras.  They seem to need constant steering corrections which is aggravating on long drives.

Thanks for your response Bobman; maybe I wrote off the Rams too soon.

Why the 2017 dogrunner?

2015 was the first year for the aluminum body and new model year so that is one reason. In 2017 since you are thinking 3.5 Eco it was a next generation motor with new technology, new turbos and a 10 speed trans. More Power and better mileage. So far I like my 18 with the 10 speed but I have a 5.0 under the hood. It has more power and shifts better than my 2016 that had the old 6 speed. 

Natty Bumpo
1 hour ago, Dogwood said:

FWIW I'm a stickler for comfortable seat ergonomics/telescopic steering wheel etc.  And straight line driving stability at highway speeds; which is why I don't care for Tundra's

My F150 Lariat has the most comfortable leather seats that I have ever sat in (10 way adjustable). My partner on many long trips Out West ( Montana and Colorado) says the same and he's a Chevy guy. Be sure you get the Lariat or higher trim pkg in a F150.

Also here locally, FOX beats Williams 10 ways to Sunday for sales and service. Williams is horrible.

Locher

I have the 2018 F150 with 3.5 ecoboost.  No complaints so far.  My buddy has the 5.0.  If you were in the same type of terrain as I am (mountains and hills with not much flat), I'd definitely stick with the 3.5.  It has a lot more torque  at low rpm and the shifts are a lot smoother.  Since you're in Michigan which is very flat by my standards, I don't think you'd notice much difference between the 5.0 and 3.5 eco.  If you're going with the 3.5, I'd definitely make sure it was the 2nd gen (17 or later I believe).  The 1st gen was fine but the 2nd gen has even more guts.

I tow a 30' travel trailer (5700# dry, 7700# gross) and it's no problem.  I'm probably around 6500# loaded.

WI Outdoor Nut

I also rent weekly due to my work travel, and when possible, rent trucks.  Below are my thoughts:

Ram - more low end power than the other trucks.  Feels almost like a 3/4 ton with ride and power.  Overall comfy controls.  I have seen well above 20 mpg on hwy and want to say it was around 24 mpg at 75mph.  Don't recall if I had a tailwind or not.  Bluetooth is easy to use. 

Chevy - Very comfy - almost car like ride.  I am not of fan of the 5.3 L.  It makes its power by high RPM and drives me nuts (just my opinion).  Fuel economy was very good as well. 

Ford - PIA Bluetooth.  Good ride.  10 speed is great.  I prefer the 3.5 L vs v8, but if not pulling, both are fine.  If above 5000#'s on a regular basis, the eco is really an amazing motor.  The AL body is very interesting living in a rust belt state. 

Dealing with a 2012 F150 right now that is rusting out, if you go the Chev or Ram route, makes sure you get the underbody treated, especially the rockers and 1/4 panels.  Their are holes taped up between the sandwiched metal panels.  The tape comes off over time and in my case, filled up with dirt from hunting.  Then was saturated with our salt brines, then rusted out. 

I never thought I would entertain a Ram, but overall impressed with the truck.  Personally, I won't buy a GM product with the 5.3 - just can't stand that motor.  Would consider a GM product with the 6.2.  But a lot of this is personal preference.  And fwiw, I am not brand loyal when it comes to trucks. 

sloth5202

I just recently bought a Ram and I love it.  For the money you can beat it and the technology is setup perfectly and works without too much fuss.  I have the Bighorn trim with cloth seats but you get the high end technology and also the AWD  along with the 4wd Hi/Lo.  Love the power and lots of room to put all my random odds and ends.  The center console is brilliant and has a ton of room to toss a pair of gloves or oversized mug/cup.   

sidelock

I don't know about the latest version of the EcoBoost but they had a lot of problems in the older engines. Do a google search for inherit problems with EcoBoost and you will find all kinds of posts on the subject. Just sayin !

gaberdeen

I am very happy with my 2014 Ram 1500. Got just about 23 mph on my recent Maine trip. 5.7 Hemi.