FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
French Brittany28

Looking for breathable rain gear.

French Brittany28

I am looking for a breathable rain jacket. I run hot in the fields and always end up wetter than if I had not worn the jacket. 

Anyone else have this issue? Any good gear to suggest?

I know... asking for rain proof and breathable may be impossible. 

mccuha

I know they are not probably as durable but frogg togg. Works pretty good

C.J.L.

I fished bass tournaments for years and was always looking for the best "breathable" rain gear  I could buy.  It can't be made.  Just the nature of being active will force water through even the smallest holes and you will be wet. Not soaking wet, but where you make the most movement, shoulders, elbows etc. And you get a wet ass from sitting down on a wet seat.  Plus it has a shelf life of just a few years of being good. I wore it a lot more for the wind than anything but if it was going to be an all day rain, I had rubberize Columbia rain gear that kept me drier the best.  

sidelock
13 minutes ago, C.J.L. said:

I fished bass tournaments for years and was always looking for the best "breathable" rain gear  I could buy.  It can't be made.  Just the nature of being active will force water through even the smallest holes and you will be wet. Not soaking wet, but where you make the most movement, shoulders, elbows etc. And you get a wet ass from sitting down on a wet seat.  Plus it has a shelf life of just a few years of being good. I wore it a lot more for the wind than anything but if it was going to be an all day rain, I had rubberize Columbia rain gear that kept me drier the best.  

X2

martyg

It is a sliding scale.

The best hardshells that I have used, which are highly breathable yet waterproof, are either Polartec Neoshell or eVent.

eVent stopped doing their own branding some time ago and now licenses the technology to others, like REI for example. The person on the sales floor or the CS person on the phone won't know that their PLM's are really specing eVent, so you'll need to ask a lot of questions.

For high output activities like ski mo and backpacking I am all about Neoshell. For lift serve skiing I find that it is too breathable, and I need an extra mid layer as it compromises the micro climate that the clothing provides.

john mcg
6 minutes ago, martyg said:

It is a sliding scale.

The best hardshells that I have used, which are highly breathable yet waterproof, are either Polartec Neoshell or eVent.

eVent stopped doing their own branding some time ago and now licenses the technology to others, like REI for example. The person on the sales floor or the CS person on the phone won't know that their PLM's are really specing eVent, so you'll need to ask a lot of questions.

For high output activities like ski mo and backpacking I am all about Neoshell. For lift serve skiing I find that it is too breathable, and I need an extra mid layer as it compromises the micro climate that the clothing provides.

Marty--not sure if its a Neoshell, but I found a Gamma LT worked really well. I would like to have such in orange.

🙂

PartridgeCartridge

Ventile is another option.

Speaks

There are always tradeoffs here. For most outdoor activities I tended toward water resistant rather than waterproof. In general they kept me dry enough in heavy rain for brief periods or light rain for extended periods. Much of my gear is the old gander TecH2O, although much of it is nearing end of its useful life now in the rain it is still good for snow and mud protection. I dont recall the brand of my fishing set up but it was much more waterproof and also less breathable, but not bad. For upland hunting if I need more than just resistant than I likely will not be in the woods for long. 

topdog1961
5 hours ago, mccuha said:

I know they are not probably as durable but frogg togg. Works pretty good

Agree. My son's last three football games were miserable, cold, and raining. I wore my frog togg fishing suit as the outer layer. I looked like a big brown turd but was very comfortable. It was waterproof, breathed well, and cut the wind completely. But I too doubt it would be durable enough for field use. Perfect for sitting out in the rain though. 

PartridgeCartridge
51 minutes ago, topdog1961 said:

I wore my frog togg fishing suit as the outer layer. I looked like a big brown turd

Thanks for that mental image. I'm going to have nightmares about that.

shoot-straight

Sorry, I have never found a "breathable" garment that truly kept me dry long term. Similarly, those breathable membranes are not very tough. 

While not breathable, just bought a jacket and bib set from grundens that are camo. They aren't as tough as their true commercial fishing gear but I like It. I have that too. Several sets actually. Not ideal for bird hunting. I wear Mine for work, fishing and waterfowl.

mccuha

A friend of mine and I just had a discussion about rain gear. He said that he was not going to buy anymore breathable rain gear any more because they all leak. He was going back to the rubberized type.  I told him what would you rather have wet from sweat or wet from rain.  Never could come up with a good answer. I Like breathable. I have a pull over unisulated that I use and it works just fine.  Can’t reme the brand

Rick Hall
10 hours ago, mccuha said:

A friend of mine and I just had a discussion about rain gear. He said that he was not going to buy anymore breathable rain gear any more because they all leak. He was going back to the rubberized type.  I told him what would you rather have wet from sweat or wet from rain.  Never could come up with a good answer.

My answer is that I'd rather be hot wet than cold wet. Have only tried a half dozen or so "breathables," but none were that to any meaningful degree.  And the most waterproof of the lot, Rivers West, is hot as Hades  if you're moving much.  (Might well be Visqueen in there.) 

Best compromise I've found is Helly Hanson's Impertech Guide Coat with a truly waterproof urethane (or some such) coating on a coat well designed to keep water out, and also has cape-style venting across the shoulder blades and side zippers that can be also be opened in relatively light rains.  Wouldn't want to go brush-busting in one, but they're great for waterfowling. 

Believe they may have discontinued them, but I own three, in case nothing better ever comes along.

NW River Mac
21 hours ago, john mcg said:

This may help a bit.

Its always about. A balance.

https://www.paddypallin.com.au/blog/all-about-waterproof-fabrics/

Good information, thank you for sharing.  What I got out of this was that there is no silver bullet and it's location dependent.  It looks like nothing will work in LA or AL but in the more northern climes and higher elevations you get what you want out of the new techy fabrics.