FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
jeff88

Brier-proof upland shirt - Recomendations

jeff88

Last week came to the conclusion that a good add for me would be a medium weight upland shirt under the Mother's strap vest.  It has to be brier-proof, am getting tired of ripping denim to pieces.  Also want the kind with the forearms in blaze orange where they would be especially guarded against briers and increase my visibility in the heavy stuff.  For cooler weather I can layer over the shirt with a poly-pro vest, for below 30 F I have a Chukar jacket that works great.   What do you recommend that has worked well?  BTW, the LL Bean version is out of size L.

MAArcher

Columbia used to make a shirt, the Sharptail I think.  It was tan with blaze orange forearms that were briar proof.   They don't make them any more but I'd love to find a comparable replacement.  Most of the ones I've seen, the blaze orange on the sleeves are cotton and not briar proof.

jeff88
17 minutes ago, MAArcher said:

Columbia used to make a shirt, the Sharptail I think.  It was tan with blaze orange forearms that were briar proof.   They don't make them any more but I'd love to find a comparable replacement.  Most of the ones I've seen, the blaze orange on the sleeves are cotton and not briar proof.

My buddy has the Columbia one, that is what I looked for 1st but as you state can't find them.

john mcg
3 minutes ago, jeff88 said:

Looks good, may go this route.  Thanks!

You are welcome.

bmeador

Check out Dan's upland clothing.  They've got the best briar-proof gear I've ever used.  Their shirt has a comparable price to the Carhart, but I think it will shed briars better. I have their jacket and have bibs on the way.

spinfly

Check Sierra Trading Post  and search "upland". There may be a few options for you there, I just ordered a Carhartt at $34.99 to give it a try.

jeff88
1 hour ago, spinfly said:

Check Sierra Trading Post  and search "upland". There may be a few options for you there, I just ordered a Carhartt at $34.99 to give it a try.

This looks promising:

https://www.sierratradingpost.com/woolrich-upland-shooter-shirt-long-sleeve-for-men~p~456af/?filterString=s~upland-hunting-shirt%2F

jeff88
1 hour ago, bmeador said:

Check out Dan's upland clothing.  They've got the best briar-proof gear I've ever used.  Their shirt has a comparable price to the Carhart, but I think it will shed briars better. I have their jacket and have bibs on the way.

Am definitely checking on this, thanks!

mccuha

Dans is some tuff stuff. All the guys I know that rabbit hunt wear dans or mule brand. The rabbit hunters around hear waller in the thick briars and when they come out they have very few scratches   I don’t know of any other thick clothing other than those.  I myself wear the Columbia sharptail shirts like some have mentioned.  I have enough to last for a very long time or until the same shirt in the same weight of cloth is made again

WMassGriff

Glad I bought my LLBean this summer! Best shirt for what you want IMHO. Don't know how much longer your season lasts but it might be prudent to wait till LLBean has theirs back in stock.

Hub

I also really highly reccomend the LLBean's Upland Briar shirt.  I have two of them and they are what I wear under my strap vest while really stacking on mileage grouse hunting.  The hidden chest pockets are great for stashing stuff without taking a strap vest off and what ever they make them out of is seriously durable.  The shirts are outlasting the LLBean strap vest II that I bought at the same time.  They are also fairly quick to dry.  I was just thinking I probably need to buy a couple more before they lose their mind and quit making them like they did their insulated partridge gloves that I am on my last pair of.

Swampy 16

The Carhart shirt will rip, I have one. Water repellent coating sucks. Truly briar proof would be something from Dans or look at filson.