Sign in to follow this  
topdog1961

Impressive gas mileage.

topdog1961

Over the summer I picked up a 2013 Mazda 3 with a 6 speed stick for my work car.  It’s a small car with a sporty streak, and I really like it.  I’m very happy with the 38mpg I get on my 125 mile round trip to work.  It’s a mix of mostly rural highway driving that I do at 60mph, about 30 miles of 70mph 4 lane, and about 15 miles of city driving.  When I dropped the car off at the dealer yesterday for a recall, they gave me a 2018 Mazda 6 loaner.  It’s a much bigger car, what I consider nowadays a full size sedan with lots of interior room and an expansive trunk.  I expected it to be a lot quieter and smoother, but I didn’t expect the mileage.  This much bigger car actually gets better mileage than my 5 year older small car.  On both the drive home from the dealer, and into work this morning, I got a shade over 40mpg, and it’s not a hybrid.  The instant MPG reads between 42-44 going 70 on flat highways.  I think that’s pretty amazing considering the size and refinement of the car.  My nephew rented a similar sized 2019 Toyota Camry last week and got over 40mpg on a trip in a 4 cylinder car with 205 HP.  It wasn’t that long ago that you had to drive an underpowered cracker box to get over 30mpg real world. Apparently the latest generation of sedans starting around $23,000 is changing that in a big way.  Their size, refinement, and now gas mileage make me wonder why so many people pay twice as much for SUVs and pickups when many don’t really need them.  But then again, I drive at least 125 miles per day. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

chilly460

Don't have time at the moment to look up specs on the engine, but the to direct injection along with cylinder deactivation and variable valve timing has really come about strongly in the last 5yrs....and the mileage increases have been notable.  

I generally drive pickups so I don't have much data for "normal" cars, but I distinctly remember my 97 Honda Accord 4cyl only getting 30mpg highway if I ran it without A/C and 65mph.  We've come a long way.  

River19

It is funny, I remember getting well over 30mpg highway easily back in the day with both my 1984 Supra, my 1987 Mazda and my 1991 Acura (all stick shift) then the late 90s and 2000s arrived and everything had a little more power but you were lucky to get 20-25mpg highway.  The SUV craze got us more utility, AWD and used to thinking 21mpg highway was "good".

Now mind you I have 3 vehicles all with V8s not which will get me 20mpg highway.....but they all serve a purpose and I have all the utility, towing etc. capacity I would like.

We are thinking of moving to where my commute would be much longer and AWD is a must for me (and no I don't want a FWD) as we run AWD with studs for winter.  I am looking at the smaller AWD vehicles and I am confident I can find something that will get me 28-25mpg highway with AWD......which is very nice indeed.

Modern sedans like the 6 seem to really be efficient for what they are offering in performance and size.  I just wish a car would work for us but it doesn't......

jeff88

Have become a Mazda fan.  Their idea is to earn a B+ on everything ranging from efficiency to fun to drive.  Their concept is called Skyactiv and they seem to make it work.  The CX5 awd I rented for a week last October got over 32 mpg between Chicago and Milwaukee with driving including highway, city and suburban.  It was also a really nice ride and had a ton of room.  Going upscale from that, I'd get the 2019 Acura RDX which is likely the replacement for my 2012 MDX.  The Acura AWD system for pavement is superior to any other system out there.  

Going off pavement awd can't help but think Subaru system.  Upscale would be the Audi All-road.  Believe the CX5 or new RDX would be capable on dirt roads as my MDX is, but for two tracks and worse I'd want more off-road capability.  Once you go from awd to true 4wd, watch the gas the mileage go lower.

Craig Conroy

I'm with you on the thought that having a car for road trips makes sense.  Due to my knee replacement last spring, I decided it was time to replace our 10 year old Pon(Toyota)tiac Vibe 5 speed manual transmission, with a new Honda Civic Sport Hatchback (needed an automatic, or I wouldn't be driving for quite a while).  Even the car must accommodate  a dog kennel, and I liked the Honda best among the available options.  That car has a 1.5 liter Turbo, 180 hp, averages close to 39 mpg and easily breaks into the 40's on a road trip.  And it's quite a bit bigger than Civic's used to be.  Cars have come a long way, and are a buy compared to SUV's.  Of course, I still have a Jeep for serious stuff, like hunting 🙂.

WI Outdoor Nut

My wife drives a Toyota Avalon with 268 HP.  The car has way more ponies than one would ever need.  However, if you stay out of the throttle, we see above 35 mpg all the time, which I am amazed at.  On a long trip (with tailwind) we saw 38 for our high. 

Cars & trucks have come a long way. 

Mike Connally

I decided to check my gas mileage in my Silverado as I came down out of the mountains yesterday. 

Ive got you all beat. 

807FEE04-7C84-4D95-9842-FE4FA8DEEFD7.jpeg

Craig Conroy

I'm waiting for you to report on going back up 😉.

tut

My daughter has a new Mazda 3 with the 2.5 Liter engine.  Not only is the thing a little rocket, but she just drove down to Hampton Roads Va and back and got 38 MPG.  Now, she has a lead foot, so that's amazingly good. FWIW, she got the bigger engine they offer (2.5 versus 2.0 Liter).  Loves the car.  She had been driving a 2001 Nissan Sentra that we ended up giving to charity, which was also an amazing good vehicle. 

bmeador

My wife has a Toyota Prius C. Now, I call it the "Clown Car" as it is tiny compared to my Tundra. We drove it over 5K miles round trip this past summer to AZ & UT. It is very suprising how comfortable it was, more so than my Tundra. Even having to get down in it and then back up out of it. I drove the entire trip and enjoyed the drive. We averaged 49 MPG over the trip!  Several times I got it to hold 72 MPG for extended times. And it will fly, 80 MPH was a breeze...

topdog1961
3 hours ago, tut said:

My daughter has a new Mazda 3 with the 2.5 Liter engine.  Not only is the thing a little rocket, but she just drove down to Hampton Roads Va and back and got 38 MPG.  Now, she has a lead foot, so that's amazingly good. FWIW, she got the bigger engine they offer (2.5 versus 2.0 Liter).  Loves the car.  She had been driving a 2001 Nissan Sentra that we ended up giving to charity, which was also an amazing good vehicle. 

I wish my 2013 Mazda 3 had the 2.5 instead of the 2.0. But I don't think the 2.5 in 2013 had the Skyactive technology like the 2.0 does. And it is a stick which is harder to find, but what I wanted. And lastly, I got a super deal on it, a one owner car from Evansville IN, which means a lot less road salt than around NW Ohio, or worse, the Michigan snow belt. I bet the Skyactive 2.5 in a 3 drives like our Miata, which brings a grin to my face every time I run it through the gears at redline, over 7,000 RPM. 

Mike da Carpenter

I went the opposite direction.  I have always been a truck guy, and with my 2014 Silverado having the Active Fuel Management (AFM) where 4 cylinders shut down to conserve energy, but causes all sorts of documented issues/problems, I bought a device that stays plugged into my OBD 2 port that keeps my truck in V8 100% of the time.  Figured I bought a V8, not a 4 cylinder, so I might as well have one at all times.  No more hard shifting, burning copious amounts of oil, unevenly heated cylinders, etc...and I still get the exact same gas mileage as before I had the device (14 city & 19 hwy).  It sure is nice to have a V8 truck again.

Big Pine

I bought a 2017 Honda Fit this summer and have been using it to make the 150-mile trip from home to grouse country. With the back seats folded down, I can get two intermediate crates in the back with room to spare, and it’ll do about 42 mpg on the highway. 

apachecadillac

I drove Mazdas back in the 90s until I switched to Audis and did 15-20 years in German sheetmetal.  I remember those Mazdas very fondly, and now hear nothing but good things about their crossover.  So if I were looking for a high mileage bomb around sedan today I would check them out, though I might gravitate towards an Acura in the end (my son just go himself a little Acura and it's quite pleasing, he's encouraging my wife to try one).