FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Lurch

2015 & newer pickups - active cruise?

Lurch

Didn't want to hijack the other pickup thread, but the comments on the technology had me questioning...

I, too, spend a lot of time in rental cars and, besides the engine-off-at-stop, the adaptive cruise is something I can't stand. I know wtih a lot of them, you can adjust the distance between a couple levels, but I still find that, especially at highway speeds, the cut back too early for my taste. So far I haven't figured out experimentally (and who wants to read a manual, especially on a rental car/truck!) how to turn it off completely.

So my question is,  as I start my long-term search of the big three for a replacement to my current truck,  if they've got adaptive cruise (upper trim levels I'd assume), can you turn off the adaptive part and just use normal cruise control as God intended?

Thanx in advance!

Jakeismydog2

I am ignorant. what is adaptive cruise?

Peent

You can adjust it and turn it off in the truck that isn’t one of the big three. 

Lurch
10 hours ago, Jakeismydog2 said:

I am ignorant. what is adaptive cruise?

it's the babyistting mode where it automatically slows down and even brakes when somebody in front of you is going slower.

doodlecrazy

Hate it. First thing I did with my truck was shut that stupid feature off.

Lurch
Just now, doodlecrazy said:

Hate it. First thing I did with my truck was shut that stupid feature off.

so what make of truck? that's my whoe question - want to make sure I can turn it completely off before I buy one...

Thanx

doodlecrazy

Oops....my bad. 2017 Ram 1500

Samuel Hoggson

Still haven't read the manual on the new 250.  But this stuff scares me.  Bad enough I have idiot tire pressure sensors and dash alarms.  Then I discovered - accidentally - there's a third automatic trans shifting mode.....something like auto-manual?  There's some kind of smart(ass) braking feature, too, I hear.  Something about going up hills and slip?  Now I have to worry about smart(ass) cruise.  Great.  Just great.

Maybe Thanksgiving week my daughter can figure out how this stuff works and, more to the point, how to shut it all off.

Cuz you know all this high-tech junk will break and cost alot to fix.

mccuha

I really hate all the new automatic everything that comes with trucks these days. I think it's a gimic. The stuff begins to stop working 4-yrs later then it forces you to fix it or buy a new one vehicle.  The next truck I get I may have to special order it but I don't want automatic anything. ( If they will make them by the time I get a new one)

Peent

All these features make driving easier and safer.  Take the time to learn them.  Once you do that you will see the benefits of the features.  I remember my grandfather complaining that the dim switch was moved from the floor to the steering column.  I can imaging what he would say today when auto dim feature is becoming standard.  

Cheesy

All these features make vehicles more expensive and more costly to maintain due to all the new failure modes.  Sensors and wiring and circuit boards that do fail.  I hate my vehicle trying to think for me.  I want hard knobs and sliders for HVAC and radio controls.  That I can manipulate without even looking at them.   I don't want touchscreen monitors that you have to fumble through multiple screens to get to the particular function you're looking to adjust.

The safety device between your ears is the one that matters.

sloth5202
19 minutes ago, Cheesy said:

All these features make vehicles more expensive and more costly to maintain due to all the new failure modes.  Sensors and wiring and circuit boards that do fail.  I hate my vehicle trying to think for me.  I want hard knobs and sliders for HVAC and radio controls.  That I can manipulate without even looking at them.   I don't want touchscreen monitors that you have to fumble through multiple screens to get to the particular function you're looking to adjust.

My 2017 Ram has many controls that are knobs and buttons as well as touchscreen.  Also, if you give it a little time you get used to the touchscreen.  I would also add I can adjust many things in my truck with voice commands which is even easier.

Tony Moore

I remember the floor dimmer switch used to get full of boot crud and jam on, or off, pain in the butt!

Cheesy

First it is our trucks.  Next thing they'll be doing is putting safety's on Winchester 94's....

Peent
38 minutes ago, Cheesy said:

You don't have to purchase the vehicle.  Plenty of used crap on the lots to choose from.