FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Lurch

2015 & newer pickups - active cruise?

mccuha
25 minutes ago, Cheesy said:

First it is our trucks.  Next thing they'll be doing is putting safety's on Winchester 94's....

Have seen or purchased new lever actions.  They have safeties now

mccuha
52 minutes ago, Cheesy said:

All these features make vehicles more expensive and more costly to maintain due to all the new failure modes.  Sensors and wiring and circuit boards that do fail.  I hate my vehicle trying to think for me.  I want hard knobs and sliders for HVAC and radio controls.  That I can manipulate without even looking at them.   I don't want touchscreen monitors that you have to fumble through multiple screens to get to the particular function you're looking to adjust.

The safety device between your ears is the one that matters.

My feeling exactly.  I had an 08 truck. Before it was 5yrs old I had replaced all the electric window switches, door locks and never had this before, all the speakers. And it was a crew cab. My wife’s car had to replace all the electric door locks and it was under 3 yrs old.  My 08 I was constantly replacing various electric components in the power train.   

All ll these electronic stuff may make life simpler but man does simplicity cost.  I am headed back if possible to a less simple life with possibly less expenses in repair bills

Marc Ret

It's been all downhill since the "wing" window was phased out...

henryrski
7 minutes ago, Marc Ret said:

X2

Jakeismydog2
11 hours ago, Tony Moore said:

I remember the floor dimmer switch used to get full of boot crud and jam on, or off, pain in the butt!

I had half cab 1970 bronco back in highschool. Step on the dimmer once, brights come on. Step on it again, lights go off!😧 Step on then a 3rd time dims come on. Scared the hell out of people in the car with me at night.

kgb
20 hours ago, Marc Ret said:

My cousin bought a '70 Dart to build into a drag racer, his son was fascinated by the wing windows!

I've owned 3 A-100 vans, no truck since them has been as fun to drive but they're certainly more comfortable. Doubtless safer, too.  We've kept vehicles 8-10 years, additional potential electrical issues isn't a plus with that sort of schedule but they seem largely unavoidable.  One time in late Fall our Ranger started sliding out from under me as I was using cruise control and hit a slick patch going up a hill.  An automatic shutoff might have been a crucial tool at that point had things gotten a little more out of hand.

Marc Ret
11 hours ago, Jakeismydog2 said:

I had half cab 1970 bronco back in highschool. Step on the dimmer once, brights come on. Step on it again, lights go off!😧 Step on then a 3rd time dims come on. Scared the hell out of people in the car with me at night.

I had an '89 full-size Eddie Bauer Bronco just out of high school (1991). It had the floor dimmer and wing window (both great features that sadly went away). Loved that thing, especially with the top off in the summertime. 

BlacknTan
23 hours ago, Marc Ret said:

Agreed!!

And window cranks, floor mounted dimmer and a host of others..

john mcg
23 hours ago, Marc Ret said:

The wing window was a darn handy thing.

Man, do I miss a wing window. Also those big bench seats.

Big bench seats were a mighty handy thing.

Marc Ret
3 hours ago, john mcg said:

The wing window was a darn handy thing.

Man, do I miss a wing window. Also those big bench seats.

Big bench seats were a mighty handy thing.

That big rear bench seat in a full-size Bronco was quite handy. Lots of room in that truck.😎

Hot summer nights....

mccuha
2 hours ago, Marc Ret said:

That big rear bench seat in a full-size Bronco was quite handy. Lots of room in that truck.😎

Hot summer nights....

I know the feeling.  Had a 79 full size blazer. You could also fold seat up and had even more room to roam in the very back. I hate I ever got rid of that truck or should I say tank.  

Chukarman

There are plenty of high quality used trucks out there. I bought a 2001 F350 some years ago... had 65K miles and cost me $21,000. Change the oil every 3K to 5K miles and drive it. Has 235K miles on it now and I would rather repair/ improve it that ever buy a new “improved” version. No DEF, no smart electronics to repair or wonder over. Just basic truck.

My old Willy’s CJ has the dimmer on the floor. I like the old stuff pretty well and... it doesn’t cost me a lot of money.

SODAKer

I really liked the foot dimmer. Don't know why manufacturers moved away fro that.

25/06
On 11/9/2018 at 9:55 AM, Peent said:

All these features make driving easier and safer.  Take the time to learn them.  Once you do that you will see the benefits of the features.  I remember my grandfather complaining that the dim switch was moved from the floor to the steering column.  I can imaging what he would say today when auto dim feature is becoming standard.  

No all these features do not make driving safer. Some are genuinely handy and some are quite dangerous.

Rule #1 no cruise in the winter. When your adaptive cruise automatically activates weather cruise is on or not it is dangerous. Sometimes in the winter you are

faced with bad choices... Maybe sliding into the back of another car or a snow bank is the best worst option and the worst option that can get you killed is applying

the brakes. Maybe braking for that damn deer would be nice if the road was not glare ice and the ditches are 100' deep.

The in dash infotainment systems make control changes for different trim levels and model years cheap to modify for the manufacturer. We get to stare at a screen to adjust the heat instead of reaching over and feeling for a knob. We also get to be bathed in light at night which makes it hard to see outside. (some you can turn off most you cant)

When you start my wife's explorer there are so many alarms going off it sound like you hit big on a slot machine. The over use of alarms gets people to ignore them.

On the other hand when my wife was at target the other day she put her car in reverse to back up and there was a cute little 4 year old girl  perfectly framed in the backup camera not 6" off the bumper. The girls had slipped away from her mom who was loading her car. My wife about cried.

bobman

Back up cameras and proximity sensors are great 

wing windows were nice but noisy

moving the dimmer to the column eliminated a rusted or crud filled switch

love cruise cc

these new screens do give off way too much light at night as mentioned above and in the ram the settings don’t work to lower the brightness has happened in two of them I’ve rented