FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Windrider

Permethrin on waxed canvas?

Windrider

After my tick borne illness experience this past summer, I’m getting pretty determined to keep them off me.

Lots of thorny things where I woodcock hunt, so I generally armor up with some fairly thick waxed canvas pants.  Has anyone tried treating waxed canvas with Permethrin?

Is this a case of treat the garment more frequently because the garment is water proof?

doodlecrazy

Just my Filson strap vest. I don't think so. I usually treat all my garments every few weeks unless I get caught hunting in the rain....which was WAY too often this year.

john mcg

I think the wax makes penetration to the fabric more difficult or worse, so I’d say more frequent spritzers are needed.

On untreated fabric, my understanding is it lasts quite a long while.

Hammergun

A long time ago I used to spray my filson single tun oiled pants with parmethrin. It severely broke them down. I sent them to filson to repair them and they said they appeared to have been chemically attacked. 

dogrunner

I spray it on everything and let it dry. Even though its waterproof as long as it dries on them it should repel ticks. 

E.Young

Yup, I spray it on my waxed cotton fronted pants with good results. Just let it dry and good to go. I will admit to having thought about retreating the pants after a particularly dewy morning or getting caught in the rain. 

Windrider
16 hours ago, Hammergun said:

A long time ago I used to spray my filson single tun oiled pants with parmethrin. It severely broke them down. I sent them to filson to repair them and they said they appeared to have been chemically attacked. 

Hmmmm... Hadn’t thought of that.  I could see the petroleum base causing some issues and wearing down the wax faster.

Did you rewax your pants periodically?  If so, did the permethrin cause any issues with the rewaxing proces?

john mcg
25 minutes ago, Windrider said:

Hmmmm... Hadn’t thought of that.  I could see the petroleum base causing some issues and wearing down the wax faster.

Did you rewax your pants periodically?  If so, did the permethrin cause any issues with the rewaxing proces?

Good question. I have sprayed my waxed bibs and not seen degradation, but not as much as the dry fabric pants as they tend to see the warmer weather where ticks are more active.

Hammergun
2 hours ago, Windrider said:

No I never have waxed them. They always wear out at or above the knee at the point where they are tucked into my Knee High boots.