FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Zoli 16ga.

best electric smoker?

Zoli 16ga.

nothing to big. big enough to smoke a chicken, a bunch of goose breasts etc. has to be electric.

bigdog MN

I have a home built smoker that I had been looking to replace for a few years. Finally settled on a Smokin-it brand made in MI.  Bought the #1 model which is the smallest. Started using it this fall and have done 5 pork butts, 4 turkey breasts, 6 Sirloin round roasts, 2 Pork loins and 8-10 chicken breasts. I really like it, well made and just the right size for me.

The company has a very helpful user forum and a smoking manual/cookbook that is specific to their units.  That was one reason I went with the brand, good first hand experience and recipes from people using the exact same set-up.  I did upgrade and purchased a Digital controller to run the smokes, its a brand named Auber, they discuss it on the Smokin-it user forum.

Construction is almost identical to two other brands I found, Smokin-tex and I forgot the other. Difference was in heating element, controls and quality of the wheels. The Smokin-it was also least expensive. If you watch the website they have periodic sales with free accesories, I got the screen to allow using chips for smoking salmon.

Really very satisified with the purchase and as you can see, have smoked allot of meats this fall. Even bought a meat slicer so I am making my own sandwhich meat.

Here is a link to the website: https://www.smokin-it.com/

stripersonfly

I bought a Masterbuilt Electric smoker several years ago.  They were on sale at Cabelas.  I am very happy with it and at the time, when on sale, it cost well under $200.  Enough room to smoke a couple of pork butts, or a couple of turkeys or a whole slew of ribs.  Here is a link

https://www.cabelas.com/product/MASTERBUILT-MES-B-ELCTRC-SMKR/2876328.uts?slotId=0

WPG Gizmo

Bradley is a very good Electric smoker but you have to use their pucks

Masterbuilt is also very good.

I started with Electric moved on to Propane now use Lump and Wood they each have the pluses and quirks.  Electric was hard to get to temp on cool/cold days, Propane was easy to set and keep the temps but if you run a water pan when it dried out the temp rose quickly, Lump and wood gives great smoke flavor better then any other type but you need to tend the fire box more often.  If you have a BBQ grill you can also use it for a smoker either buy a box for the chips or use a tin foil pouch with some holes in the top put the food on one side with no flame and put the chips on the other with enough heat to get it to the temp you want not perfect but it works well

gaberdeen

Check out Smokin it line of smokers. All stainless steel no rubber door gaskets. You’ve seen mine at Catskills. Very pleased with it.

Zoli 16ga.

been looking at the smoking it. pretty much set on it. eat grub that came out of one...thanks Aberdeen! just need to see how I can get one up to the great white north! 

Brad Eden

Good question, been planning on adding that to the arsenal.

WPG Gizmo

Doing a smoke tomorrow a pork shoulder for pulled pork and some fatties for those that dont know Fatties are Bacon wrapped Sausage with just about anything you want stuffed inside I am doing mini fatties some surf and turf (steak and shrimp), cheese and hot pepper.

Thanksgiving is smoked turkey 

Jazz4Brazo
On 11/9/2018 at 5:28 PM, Zoli 16ga. said:

been looking at the smoking it. pretty much set on it. eat grub that came out of one...thanks Aberdeen! just need to see how I can get one up to the great white north! 

PM. me...lost of options including getting one delivered in advance of Catskills (NH is tax free) and delivering it you...should meet your duty free exemption. We also come back home on regular basis to see family...in fact in Newmarket right now.

J4B

Zoli 16ga.

Nice... pm sent.

jeff88
On 11/9/2018 at 2:53 PM, stripersonfly said:

I bought a Masterbuilt Electric smoker several years ago.  They were on sale at Cabelas.  I am very happy with it and at the time, when on sale, it cost well under $200.  Enough room to smoke a couple of pork butts, or a couple of turkeys or a whole slew of ribs.  Here is a link

https://www.cabelas.com/product/MASTERBUILT-MES-B-ELCTRC-SMKR/2876328.uts?slotId=0

We have one like this, it works really well.  

Cold Iron

In the 70's in Wa. State had a Little Chief smoker and did hundreds of pounds of salmon on it and it worked well as long as it wasn't too cold. That was my first and last electric smoker. The Admiral has a Smokin It electric at the house in SD. I had my doubts about it at first but we setup a pork butt went hunting all day and came back to a perfect ready to pull pork dinner. Good choice if I was going electric that would be the one I'd get also. Especially in the North the insulation is critical.

On 11/9/2018 at 5:08 PM, WPG Gizmo said:

Doing a smoke tomorrow a pork shoulder for pulled pork and some fatties for those that dont know Fatties are Bacon wrapped Sausage with just about anything you want stuffed inside I am doing mini fatties some surf and turf (steak and shrimp), cheese and hot pepper.

Thanksgiving is smoked turkey 

Some fatties get a bacon weave from me, others don't. With Atomic Buffalo Turds

30914064807_8f36055285_b.jpg

I like my birds smoked on a spinning stick. Gas or charcoal, depends. With a strong preference and almost always with charcoal though. Lump or briquettes it really doesn't matter.

31243270685_502ff3ae0e_b.jpg

42174092591_160a0680f7_b.jpg

I like crispy skin so do them ~300° and dry brine with kosher salt overnight. But first inject them until they will not take anymore.

41273535835_3d2712c059_b.jpg

Best turkey yet was last year. Got the Cajun Bandit rotisserie for the Weber Smokey Mountain. 

26041670908_8f83bc77e2_b.jpg

I do use an Automatic Temperature Controller so guess you could say it is electric, in a way. The juices drip directly on the hot coals and give it a unique flavor profile no wood chips are needed. 

26041686768_451ea9a22c_b.jpg

25077224107_a3b97f0dc9_b.jpg

Last weekend did 2 chickens on one Weber kettle

45804174222_2a49830909_b.jpg

And fired up another Weber kettle for no boil mac n cheese and doctored baked beans

45853904191_0516a527cb_b.jpg

You can smoke a lot on a Weber kettle and not even break out the dedicated smoker. But the smoker is easier for long smokes IMO.

Made the Mac and Cheese extra thin because was planning to add some King Crab to it when it was done. It worked :D

30914129257_c948467200_b.jpg

WPG Gizmo

You sir are a bad man 😁

Zoli 16ga.

ok..got my smoker. buddy had one given to him and never used it. char broil delux digital.  

Do we have a smoker recipe section on the board somewhere? I have some goose breasts, so looks like I'll use polecat's recipe. Have some free range brisket coming next week. the chicken above looks delicious. I have some frozen phezent also. 

need to clean and season the smoker first I hear.