Jump to content
Zoli 16ga.

best electric smoker?

Recommended Posts

gaberdeen

I have the #2 Brad. I’ve smoked full size 20# turkeys in it. Albeit a bit cramped. I would definitely opt for the #2. I think the #1 you would find to small and be wanting bigger. If you have any questions give me a call.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bigdog MN

I've done two 12# Turkey breasts at same time in my #1 but they were deboned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brad Eden
8 hours ago, bigdog MN said:

I've done two 12# Turkey breasts at same time in my #1 but they were deboned.

I'm conflicted. The Model 1 is in my price range. I never pluck wild turkeys, and usually breast them out, but with some I leave the two breasts on the breast bone. Makes for easy slicing. They end up being about 6-8"+- tall when sitting flat on a surface or rack. Do you think that would fit in the Model 1?

 

(I'm generally not cheap but just put $1245.00 into my truck: water pump, serpentine belt, timing belt, idle tensioner, misc small parts and about 3/4 of my muffler system. So the difference in cost between the Model 1 and 2 is an issue right now.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jacksdad

I think of my smoker as a pork processing unit.  turns ribs and butts into religious experiences.  have had fantastic wild turkey breast from a buddies smoker. 

 

this past winter I put some effort into duck breast on the smoker.  when it's right there is no better way to prepare it.  out of this world delicious.   darn near on par with seared fresh tuna loin. 

IMG_0055.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bigdog MN

I measured my #1.  It has 4 positions for the shelves and with the rack on the 2nd spot up from the bottom it leaves 9" to the top of smoker, 11" if you put rack in the bottom spot.  The racks measure 13" x 12". I think the breast would fit but maybe not the legs/thighs depending on how big a bird.  You could always do 2 smokes. 

 

Found a store bought Turkey breast in the freezer, probably about 7#. With the rack on the 2nd spot up from bottom there was plenty of room, could probably fit legs/thighs.  

Forgot one last tip. I would wait until Fathers day or Memorial day to purchase, they usually have a promotion around those times and you can get some add-ons for free.  I like the chip screen myself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brad Eden
2 hours ago, bigdog MN said:

I measured my #1.  It has 4 positions for the shelves and with the rack on the 2nd spot up from the bottom it leaves 9" to the top of smoker, 11" if you put rack in the bottom spot.  The racks measure 13" x 12". I think the breast would fit but maybe not the legs/thighs depending on how big a bird.  You could always do 2 smokes. 

 

Found a store bought Turkey breast in the freezer, probably about 7#. With the rack on the 2nd spot up from bottom there was plenty of room, could probably fit legs/thighs.  

Forgot one last tip. I would wait until Fathers day or Memorial day to purchase, they usually have a promotion around those times and you can get some add-ons for free.  I like the chip screen myself.

Thanks for the effort and information and tip! What does the chip screen do? I see they sell them direct, but are cheaper if bought via Amazon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bigdog MN

The chip screen lets you use wood chips instead of chunks.  Usually use chips for smoking fish.  The wood box has fairly large holes in the bottom that wood chips would fall through, the screen sits on top of the large holes. I just leave the screen in all the time. When I was deciding about sizes an advantage of the #2 seemed to be for smoking ribs, folks reported the #1 was a little small unless you stacked the ribs on edge. Have not done ribs yet myself.

The Smokin-It user forum had allot of good information about the different models, how to smoke different things and recipes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bigdog MN

Smokin-it Memorial day sale:

  • We will include a promo cover, chip screen and cleaning brush with the purchase of any model smoker. (Ends 5.28.2019 Midnight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paul frey
On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 3:53 PM, stripersonfly said:

I bought a Masterbuilt Electric smoker several years ago.  They were on sale at Cabelas.  I am very happy with it and at the time, when on sale, it cost well under $200.  Enough room to smoke a couple of pork butts, or a couple of turkeys or a whole slew of ribs.  Here is a link

 

https://www.cabelas.com/product/MASTERBUILT-MES-B-ELCTRC-SMKR/2876328.uts?slotId=0

 

 

I have this exact model for about 1 year (got it for Fathers Day). Used it maybe 4-5 times.  Now I cant get it to power up.  Stays outdoors but it is covered.  Not happy with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wes Stueber

Paul,

I had the same MasterBuilt for several years and I had the same problem later on.  It would NOT get hot enough and I knew I needed another heating element for it, but I could NOT find one anywhere I looked!  So, I just bit the bullet and bought a new LEM from a Scheel's store on sale last winter for only $99.  Our family likes the LEM much better than the previous MasterBuilt.

It works great AND IF the heating element in it goes out, I know I can order a new one from the LEM company right away - as it should be!

We just smoked several racks of ribs and a whole chicken on it and it does a perfect job.

Needless to say, I will never purchase another MasterBuilt smoker for our home.  Hope this helps you?  Whatever new brand you buy - best of luck with it!

Britt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paul frey
47 minutes ago, Wes Stueber said:

Paul,

I had the same MasterBuilt for several years and I had the same problem later on.  It would NOT get hot enough and I knew I needed another heating element for it, but I could NOT find one anywhere I looked!  So, I just bit the bullet and bought a new LEM from a Scheel's store on sale last winter for only $99.  Our family likes the LEM much better than the previous MasterBuilt.

It works great AND IF the heating element in it goes out, I know I can order a new one from the LEM company right away - as it should be!

We just smoked several racks of ribs and a whole chicken on it and it does a perfect job.

Needless to say, I will never purchase another MasterBuilt smoker for our home.  Hope this helps you?  Whatever new brand you buy - best of luck with it!

Britt

Thank you for the info.  Will look the LEM smoker up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brad Eden

Well, I just ordered the Smokin it Model 1. I know it's small, but it's in my price range and I don't see myself becoming a Pit Master. My daughters and wife are chipping in for my Birthday at end of this month to help pay for it. I'm very old school and if I can avoid digital buttons and screens and controls and blue tooth etc., etc. I will. Restaurant quality built, simple and very portable with caster wheels. I'll be able to store it in garage and wheel it out and plug it into an outlet on outside of garage. Smoked wild turkey here we come. The final decision was promoted by a Memorial Day Promotion that includes a cover, chip screen and brush with all Smoker purchases. Bigdog MN posted that and prior had Messaged me. Thanks bigdog.

 

(Im researcher for purchases and I've never seen so many choices as far as Smokers. It's rather mind-boggling. Thanks for all the advice here. UJ is a resource well beyond Upland bird hunting.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
salmontogue

Not to hijack the thread but I far prefer LP fired.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gaberdeen
41 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

Well, I just ordered the Smokin it Model 1. I know it's small, but it's in my price range and I don't see myself becoming a Pit Master. My daughters and wife are chipping in for my Birthday at end of this month to help pay for it. I'm very old school and if I can avoid digital buttons and screens and controls and blue tooth etc., etc. I will. Restaurant quality built, simple and very portable with caster wheels. I'll be able to store it in garage and wheel it out and plug it into an outlet on outside of garage. Smoked wild turkey here we come. The final decision was promoted by a Memorial Day Promotion that includes a cover, chip screen and brush with all Smoker purchases. Bigdog MN posted that and prior had Messaged me. Thanks bigdog.

 

(Im researcher for purchases and I've never seen so many choices as far as Smokers. It's rather mind-boggling. Thanks for all the advice here. UJ is a resource well beyond Upland bird hunting.)

I don’t think you will be disappointed Brad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tut

I bought the little Pit Boss Digital 2 weeks ago.  Have done chicken and a smoke butt and today a 10 lb brisket.  First brisket ever for me.  They had them in USDA Choice at the local store for $1.99 per pound and I thought what the heck.   Ran it at 225 degrees using Hickory until the dreaded stall at 165 and then pulled it and double foiled it and put it in the oven at 275 until it hit 200 and pulled it and when it hit 150 I pulled it out of the foil and sliced it.  The thin side of the Brisket was tender but dense.  The thick side was flat out amazing.  Was on the grill at 6 am and we had it for dinner at 5 PM.   If I had had a bit more time I would have left it on the smoker thru the stall, but we had company coming for dinner so I had to get r done.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×