Zoli 16ga.

best electric smoker?

WPG Gizmo

Try it out on a chicken before you dive into a turkey that way you get a feel for it and how it is going to run also make sure you season it.

Welcome to the club

Brad Eden

Smoker was delivered this morning 6/1/19. I ordered it late on 5/28/19. Thats a good turnaround. I opened it to be sure they included the Memorial Day Promo extras; cover, chip screen and brush. All good. I'll unpack and assemble tomorrow when I have more time. They included a small bag of wood blocks for seasoning. I might do the seasoning burn tomorrow, if not early this week. I need to go get some more wood blocks or chips and then it's Smokin it time.

bigdog MN

I ordered chucks for my #1 from this place  https://www.smokinlicious.com/double.html

Expensive but they are the right size for the smoke box and you can get 3 different woods in a single box if you wish. They run a higher moisture content so are less likely to burn in your smoker. Tip:  If you ask for a sample of a wood with your order the will send a small bag of chunks for free. I sample white oak and like it for beef.

Brad Eden

I did add to our Message Stream big dog MN, might as well ask here too. Do you soak the blocks of wood or wood chips in water with the Smokin it Model 1? Anyone else leave dry or soak in water with whatever smoker you have? 

WPG Gizmo

Only use dry wood Cherry is excellent for beef 

Soaking wood only serves to lower the temps your smothering the fire with wet wood think about all the times you had a fire and threw a wet log onto it that is what your doing to your food.

You do not need to use a lot of wood to get a nice smokey flavor if your seeing a lot of white smoke coming off the smoker your smothering it and that is going to leave a bad taste on your food. 

Get a smoker box or use foil to create a  smoker pouch put the wood inside it poke a couple of holes and let it smolder the wood does not need to burn to create smoke.

bigdog MN

I sent you a message that pretty much echos what Gizmo said. Don't soak the wood and don't use too much. I have been surprised at how little wood it takes to get good flavor.

I have found Cherry is my favorite all around wood, so if you don't want to mess around with different types, just get Cherry.

Brad Eden

Ran the seasoning session as per directions. 3-4 hours at 225° Used a couple blocks of hickory they provided. (They gave me a small bag of it so I have more) I saw smoke coming from the vent hole the first couple hours then very little smoke or none. I'm glad I read the directions because the Red "on" light is only lit when heating element is on, so it cycles on and off depending on the heat temp. When I saw that light was off the first time I thought something was wrong. The proof is in the food, but so far I am pleased with the simplicity of this Smokin It Model 1. I have a whole chicken in a brine mix in fridge right now. I'm planning on giving it a dry rub and smoking it tomorrow. I managed to find a small amount of apple wood chips I had left over from smoking on my friends smoker which I plan to use.

Brad Eden

IMG_1096.JPG

Holy crap. Maiden voyage with the Smokin It, went quite well! I soaked a whole chicken overnight in a brine mix of water, sea salt, brown sugar, peppercorns and sliced lemon. Rinsed and then dry rubbed it with a honey hickory rub, and smoked/cooked it with apple wood chips for about 4 hrs at 250°, and turned down to 200° the last hour or so. Drop off the bone tender and delicious, with just the right amount of smoke flavor. Thanks to Member Tut for the chicken/brine recipe and advice on cooking, and a BIG  thanks to Member bigdog MN who has been tutoring me via a Message Stream on smoking and the Smokin It Model 1. Rumor has it he has arranged a delivery of some top notch wood chunks of various flavors. 

dogrunner

Is that extra crispy?

Brad Eden
9 minutes ago, dogrunner said:

Is that extra crispy?

Not really. Looks a bit overcooked. Hey its my first try!. Maybe would drop temp or smoke a little less time but the meat was juicy tender.

tut

Meat thermometer is your friend for sure.   I pull mine off at 165 and loosely tent.  BTW, we had chicken quesadilla's with leftover chicken I smoked two days ago using a mix of hickory/cherry/hickory.   Was damn amazing.   Mine was brined first for 4 hours and then rinsed off and put in the smoker at 250.  

Brad Eden

Note: I just started a dedicated Smoker Tips, Techniques & Recipe Topic in Upland Recipes Forum.