REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
adk angler

Extending Steadiness On Point

adk angler

Ya'll are great.Lots of good discussion above. Just wanted to come back and thank everyone for all the advice. As stated earlier I am really just new to the whole NSTRA thing. It just happens to be the closest thing to me right now. I do believe that as many of you have stated above that my next step is to begin the process of steady to shot, and then steady to fall. I think if I continue to work on steadiness and obedience to the whoa command we should be well on our way to having a more steady dog and one that I can trust more in the field. Thank again!

Kevin Jackson

A completely broke dog is not required in NSRTA but if I'm judging you and you have one the dogs obedience score is going way up. I would say It's the same with other judges too, at least around here.

Jere

Dogs that break and chase in the field are in jeopardy of being shot.  I know this is a controversial subject and I might prompt hot debate - too bad.  Still, it happens - I've read of two instances in on 'net forums during this year already. That is quite likely the tip of the iceberg so to speak as only a small fraction of bird hunters are even on the 'net.  

Too bad NSTRA doesn't promote a higher level of bird handling manners - but what would one expect in light of the overall way the game is played?  Jere

Don fischer

I judged NSTRA for several years. Best score, by far I ever gave was to a broke dog! Not supposed to give extra credit for that but I did anyway. Same dog got the absolute worst obedience score I ever gave! The dog's bird work was without peer in NSTRA but the hacking by the handler to keep the dog reasonably near drove me crazy!

If the op is worried about the dog going in before he get's there, he has the answer in his hands and isn't using it, remote launcher. Forget the check cord and pop the bird if the dog so much as looks out the corner of it's eye at him. Teach the dog, that wants the bird, that any movement it makes and the bird is gone. Try to refrain from shooting a bird not handled right. Use pigeons, they don't fly off a short way and land on the ground, they fly off and land in a tree! OP, you have the tool now teach the dog how to get what it want's and the result will be you get what you want!