Pleasant Ridge

T5 or T5mini

Pleasant Ridge

I had the misfortune of losing a Astro 320 in South Dakota last week, long story, but I had never thought the battery cover would come loose. 

I was wanting to upgrade anyway, so the question i have, is the T5 mini working for those who have it? Any one wishing they would have purchased the T5?  Dogs already wear a training collar, I am thinking about just trying to “lighten the load” on the dogs neck. 

Cooter Brown

I got a TT15 Mini last year when I was taking a 4 month old puppy to the UP.  I think this would be roughly equivalent to the T5 Mini.

My experience is that sat reception and radio communication between the collar and the handheld is essentially the same.  Battery life with the Mini is somewhat less, maybe 10-15% but that's a WAG.  Battery life in these things can vary depending on a lot of things--a buddy had a full size TT15 die after a year, which I think was due to shelf time before it was sold, or maybe just a bad batt..  Garmin took care of him.

One issue I've had with the Mini is that it wants to rotate on the dog's neck.  This is due to the fact that the GPS antenna is much closer to the main unit and instead of being in the middle of the dog's neck starts off to the side and rotates around as the dog moves.

Part of the reason for this is that the radio antenna bounces against the rubber harness thing when the dog moves and every time it does it applies a torsional force to the whole collar.  Given the fact that the thing is already out of equilibrium the collar gets out of place.

So this pissed me off for over a year.  And then I remembered that when I got the the Mini the package included zip ties and something clicked in my remaining brain cells and I did this:

603614858_TT15ZipTieFix.thumb.jpg.da48c3b7e80c71422b2b206953e9cd1a.jpg

As you can see it moved the pivot point of the radio antenna a lot, from very close to the heaviest part of the collar to well away from it.  It changed the dynamics of the collar and fixed the problem of the rotating mini.  I might be wrong but it seems I remember the first generation of the Astro collars also came with zip ties.

Nice to see you around the place, Parker.  So far this season seems a little better down here.

Pleasant Ridge

Thanks Steve. Glad things are lookin up down there. I haven’t been out here as of yet but will get started in the next couple of weeks! 

blanked

I have 3 , t5 Minis.  I like em.  Haven’t looked back.  My big runner ranges 800 yards no issues.  Have lost communication if he gets out a mile with hills but that is to be expected.   Battery life is a little less than my old dc 40s but get about 8 to 10 hours 

BlacknTan

I don't know if this counts, but I've used the full size since Ivy was a small pup, with no issues whatsoever. I find the battery life of the handheld the issue, not the collar unit.

Cooter Brown
26 minutes ago, BlacknTan said:

I don't know if this counts, but I've used the full size since Ivy was a small pup, with no issues whatsoever. I find the battery life of the handheld the issue, not the collar unit.

A spare battery for the handheld is pretty cheap insurance.  You can find them on the open market fairly inexpensively--they are not proprietary to Garmin.

I've got a spare I carry in my field kit.  I actually forgot about the thing for a year or so and when I thought about it I checked it.  It still had a full charge after all that time.  I now make it a point to rotate them, but Li-ion batts are pretty forgiving.

Pleasant Ridge

Thanks all, I ordered the T5. 

Curt

I have both the T5 and the T5 mini.  They both work fine but I don't normally run the mini on my larger dog, a 47 pound brit.  The Mini is reserved for my much smaller 30 lb. female.  On her the orange gps receiver sits right on top of her neck but on the larger dog the spacing seems to place it on the side of his neck and that's why I bought him the regular T5.  

Two Barrels

When I bought my Astro 430, I purchased it with the T5.  My only setter then was 65#s and tall.  He can handle it and a Dogtra 2500 just fine.  Since then, I have added a new setter to the team.  He is smaller at about 43#s.  I added the T5 mini.  I like the T5 mini much better and wish the original collar was the mini vs the standard.

airmedic1

I use the T-5's on my two 65+ pound shorthairs and the T-5 Mini's on my two 40 pound shorthairs and the two Welsh Springer Spaniels.  I don't notice any difference in battery life between the two or my previous DC-40's.  The 3/4" collars on smaller dogs is better in my opinion and I started combining the Garmin 70 Pro collars together for them.

AM

tut

I have the mini on Sophie.  Seems to work well and I just used it a lot on a recent trip.  My buddy sinced it up to his Alpha (I have the 320).  Only issue is it certainly has less battery life then the bigger collars.  You must recharge it every night.  I think I had it on Sophie and turned on for about 7 hours and it had 25 percent battery life left.  She weighs 42 lbs and I like the size of the mini on her.  For what its worth she has a ecollar on her as well with a add on LVT beeper added to the ecollar. Doesn't slow her down much, but its certainly not pretty.

Pleasant Ridge

I purchased a T5. Seems a little big on my setter, especially when coupled with the Dogtra collar. The T5 will work well on my shorthair, I will be purchasing a mini in the future for my setter.