FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
chilly460

Carhartt Rugged Flex upland pants review

chilly460

Thought I'd put up a review on the Carharrt Rugged Flex pants.  Had a chance to wear these on Saturday for the first time.  

Pros

Lightweight

Flex with movement

Supple

Tapered below knee so they don't drag through brush but enough room for boots

Water resistant

Price

Cons

Could use a bit more room in the thighs/seat

Fairly thorn resistant but heavy multiflora rose would punch through

Overall I'm pleased with them, they are very comfortable and were great at shedding water in the morning.  They're not stiff at all like some upland pants, immediately feel broken in.  Compared to other "technical" type pants, they're very affordable and easy to find.  

I will say, when getting into thick briars they showed the tradeoff between comfort and "armor".  I had to turn back and loop around some spots just not able to punch through, and the thorns were catching the leg facing material.  This was "severe duty" use trying to push through thick stems that criss crossed the path.  I have a pair of cordura faced pants that can hold up to even this use, but they're not nearly as comfortable/lightweight.  

So I'd say, for prairie or light briar use, great pants.  If you'll be in thick briars that require pushing through, these may not be the best bet.   

topdog1961

Did you notice if Carhartts is making their upland bibs again? I love mine but have about wore them out after many years. Last I checked, which would have been a few years, they no longer made them. 

Edit: I just checked their website. The answer is no. Oh well, there aren't any upland birds in Ohio any more, so why do I need upland bibs.  

sidelock

I've had their Ripstop Double Front Cargo work pants in my sight for some time now, look like they may serve as decant upland pants. I particularly like the idea of the additional cargo pockets but I don't know if the 9oz cotton double front is sufficient to fend off thorns effectively. Unfortunately I can't find them readily available on shelves in any stores in my area to personally inspect and evaluate them and make a decision.

Dogwood
On 11/19/2018 at 7:53 AM, chilly460 said:

Thought I'd put up a review on the Carharrt Rugged Flex pants.  Had a chance to wear these on Saturday for the first time.  

Pros

Lightweight

Flex with movement

Supple

Tapered below knee so they don't drag through brush but enough room for boots

Water resistant

Price

Cons

Could use a bit more room in the thighs/seat

Fairly thorn resistant but heavy multiflora rose would punch through

Overall I'm pleased with them, they are very comfortable and were great at shedding water in the morning.  They're not stiff at all like some upland pants, immediately feel broken in.  Compared to other "technical" type pants, they're very affordable and easy to find.  

I will say, when getting into thick briars they showed the tradeoff between comfort and "armor".  I had to turn back and loop around some spots just not able to punch through, and the thorns were catching the leg facing material.  This was "severe duty" use trying to push through thick stems that criss crossed the path.  I have a pair of cordura faced pants that can hold up to even this use, but they're not nearly as comfortable/lightweight.  

So I'd say, for prairie or light briar use, great pants.  If you'll be in thick briars that require pushing through, these may not be the best bet.   

I have a pair and this review is spot on. Super comfortable and can accommodate thin layer beneath.  I really like them and will buy a second pair before they change the design.  For once in my life.  

UplandHntr

Does the sizing line up with the waist size you normally wear?

chilly460

Yes, waist and length seemed right on.  As stated, could be cut fuller to allow you to lift a leg over downed trees etc