FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
juneboy1

Yeah boots again, Pokeys anyone?

juneboy1

Ok its the dreaded boot thread again. Here is my story and question. I have two pair of boots I upland hunt in, custom made Russell's and Filson uplands. The Russel's fit like a dream and can make a long day strolling through the upland meadows tolerable even for and aging bird hunter. Unfortunately they leak like a pair of Birkenstocks and will wear out on a golf green. The Filson's shed the morning dew like a ducks back, are indestructible but weigh north of five thousand pounds, EACH.  So give me the 411 on Gokey, I've had enough of these two but like this type of boot.

juneboy1

Auto spell doesn't like Gokey's! But it ok,I'm good with Pokeys.

Kansas Big Dog

I've been wearing Irish Setter Wingshooter 808 the last few years and have found them to be comfortable and if you keep them oiled well, your feet never get wet. I wear them all summer in my produce business where they are wet almost everyday but my feet stay dry. The only down side to these boots is they don't have much tread and can slip easily.

Tony Moore

The complaints about Wingshooter's treads have been for ever, why don't they do a deal with Vibram, and move on..

Brad Eden

I've given up my quest for the perfect boot. They all hurt my feet or leak. I need to get stock in those corn toe pad thingies. 

robp

I  have had good luck with danners. I had a pair of danner grouse boots for 5 season and replaced them with the same.  I have a pair of danner trophies with insulation that have lasted a long time. Own a pair of rain-forests but they are heavy. I also have a pair of danner Canadians that have 600 grams of insulation they are not as well made as the older trophies I had that lasted 15 years

I have also had good luck with redwing 10877s especially after replacing the soles with a vibram gum lite soles. I had 3 soles replaced on my first pair. The weak spot is the toes which I coated with shoe goo to protect them I got 7seasons on them but they are ready for the garbage.I am on a second pair

I take good care of my boots clean them with saddle soap treat them with snow seal or odbenaufs store them with shoe trees

Russell moccasin, what a pain in the butt .  I got measured at a pheasantfest by an employee twice,I wanted a pair of south 40s . It took 3 pairs and 3 years to finally get a pair that fit and to be honest they are a tinny bit short. Each pair took a year to build and the price went up each time. The first two pairs the stitching was all over the place the sole stuck out 1" on the front and back like cross county ski boots the craftsmanship was far from ideal and they were way to big and wide. I can go and buy a size 11 d in just about any brand of foot wear  off the shelf and it fits great but a can't get a custom sized boot to fit go figure.
Finally the third pair arrived and got stolen off my porch because they don't bother to insure them or require a signature, what the hell it's only a $600 item.I called them and inquired where my boots were they told me they got shipped and delivered a week ago. I told them I did not receive my boots.  Russell's response tough luck we sent them they got delivered not our problem. Great customer service for a luxury item.  They even admitted this happens a couple times a year.
I got lucky, a lady found them a couple blocks away on the side of her house,box boots and everything and brought them back to me.
 They fit but I did not order them with heel counters and my heal slides all over the place.I think my Chuck Taylor's have more support. I wish I would have ordered them with counters. I talked with the Russell rep told him I would be hunting hard walking 15 miles + a day. Hunting pheasants,grouse sharptails, you’d think he would have suggested heel counters since just about every shoe and boot made have them.
I’ve worn the Russells a dozen times they are useless to me and are already showing wear I get psiied off everytime I look at them.
Next boots are going to be the Crispi’s guide boots   

Tom Avent

My stock answer to ALL boot threads............LOWA Z-8S GTX. Best on the market!

WMassGriff

I am a big fan of RedWing #1412 Work Boots. That's right a work boot! It is comfortable, well made, and has held up from Wyoming Mule Deer Hunts to Bird hunting in the northeast. Looks like Sh** now, but still waterproof, warm and comfortable. I will have the soles rebuilt soon. Used the steel toed model for years when working.

juneboy1

Thanks for the replies everyone, has anyone tried the Orvis Gokey? I have been a Russell customer for twenty five years but I am done with them. My interest is still in a premium boot so the Gokey's was my next stop. Just looking for a little info on them.

Thanks

gunsrus

Danner Rivot TFX 8" Coyote Gore Tex ???   $360 . Anybody have these ?

My LLBean Kangaroo Upland boots leaked this year so back they went . Just bought the BOA's to replace them .

mccuha

I have had great luck with danner sharptail rear zip boots. The new ones I’m not sure about the zipper as to if it will hold up like the old ones. Believe it or not my new favorite upland boots are twisted x all around boot. They are not made for hiking chukar grounds or jaunts in the the grouse woods of the blue ridge but for typical Midwest, west flat phez and quail ground I really like how they wear along with a little more protection on the thigh area

ScottGrush
12 hours ago, Tom Avent said:

My stock answer to ALL boot threads............LOWA Z-8S GTX. Best on the market!

I like the way you think. I prefer the zephyrs myself. 

I did buy the llbean Maine warden boots this year. Nice boot albeit a bit heavy. I still grab the Lowas whenever I can.

sidelock

I keep reading about Danner boots lasting 4 or 5 years and can't help but wonder how much time out of those 5 years they spend in the closet !  I've been wearing their Pronghorns for as long as i remember and I'm probably on the sixth or seventh pair and I haven't had a single pair that were waterproof for two whole seasons. The ALL leaked like a sieve before the end of the second season, yes ALL of them ! I have a bad case of OCD so it's not from neglect or lack of proper care, they get treated and taken care of after use on a regular basis.

I don't particularly like to order boots online for obvious  reasons and I'm very limited to what's available in my area and that's the only reason i keep buying them. My next purchase is going to be a pair of Crispi and a pair of Lowa if I have to fly to Italy and Germany to get them LOL. 

Tom Avent
11 hours ago, ScottGrush said:

I like the way you think. I prefer the zephyrs myself. 

I did buy the llbean Maine warden boots this year. Nice boot albeit a bit heavy. I still grab the Lowas whenever I can.

Funny, I was looking at the Gokeys, the Filson/Danner grouse boot, and the Crispi boots(yes, I have a boot problem), but have worn my Lowa's on hunts recently and decided I would be crazy to do anything different. I have an older pair of the Uplanders and Tibets as back-up boots. I might try the Zephers, but I'm sticking with Lowa. 

Who was it that said if you find something you like buy 2 because they will surely discontinue it?

mister grouse

Went to Walmart and bought a pair of 19.99 work boots as a pure back up for a trip earlier in the fall.  A gawd awful orange kind of semi-leather.  Vibram type sole.  They fit great and I ended up wearing them  about half the time on a five day trip.  In chukar country.  Im sure they are not waterproof, but it was dry country.  Im sure this will elicit snickers from the grandstands, but Im just telling the pair I bought fit , had good traction, and surprised me.