juneboy1

Yeah boots again, Pokeys anyone?

ScottGrush
4 hours ago, Tom Avent said:

Funny, I was looking at the Gokeys, the Filson/Danner grouse boot, and the Crispi boots(yes, I have a boot problem), but have worn my Lowa's on hunts recently and decided I would be crazy to do anything different. I have an older pair of the Uplanders and Tibets as back-up boots. I might try the Zephers, but I'm sticking with Lowa. 

Who was it that said if you find something you like buy 2 because they will surely discontinue it?

I'm buying another pair of Zephyrs this summer. 

OldColonel

I remain a Russell fan and have more pairs than I should.  Agree on the none gortex lined Russell’s being leakers.  I wear the pairs with Gortex lined when it’s damp, and when real wet use Wellies.

PS I do have one pair of gokeys, which are good boots, but time and spreading feet lift them to summer use when I can wear then socks.

E.Young

I've got a couple pairs of gokeys - one a casual chukka and one a slightly older version of their tallish hunting boot. 

They're very well made and comfortable, but I don't find my hunting boots to be particularly suited for anything but plantation style/preserve hunting, or perhaps prarie hunting (I've never been so I can't confirm).

I'm really loving the LL Bean Cresta Hikers this season. Bought them NOS on eBay, they're the previous made in Italy generation, but I imagine the Romanian boots are excellent as well.

SuperHank

Two years ago I was told that Russell's did not offer Goretex.

C.J.L.

Yes Russel like most all boots leak.  The seam where the tongue is sewn to the boot, there is a gap.  I take shoo goo, get a dab on piece of plastic wrap and from the inside I press it into the left and right seem.  No more leaks.  Lasts a season, sometimes two.  

SelbyLowndes

I probably post this every time a boot thread comes up.  But I got a pair of Gokey Botte Sauvage snake boots when I was 14.  I'm 70 now and I still have them.  The are custom built like the Russels, and as long as you keep them greased up you can wade in them and you feet will stay dry.  They cost an arm and a leg in 1962 and probably an entire human body now, though.  I wore mine quail hunting for many years, hard enough to need two soles and a new set of bottoms. My feet were size 7 1/2 when I got the boots but grew into 8's.  I can still wear the Gokeys but they are not as comfortable now as they were.  I still like the style, but just wear Muck boots nowadays...SelbyLowndes 

ThomGordon

If I was hunting primarily anything from valley quail, Huns, sharps, forest Grouse & phez I would hunt primarily in a LaCrosse Burly with a wool insert. Very comfy & truly waterproof.

But, I don’t have this luxury. I’m a Chukar Hunter & unfortunately I need a tough f&@?!n boot. The last two seasons I went with Scarpa, extremely tough but heavy sob. This season we’re going Asolo, supposedly tough & light weight. Will see...

sharptail grouse
On 4/8/2019 at 9:41 AM, SelbyLowndes said:

I probably post this every time a boot thread comes up.  But I got a pair of Gokey Botte Sauvage snake boots when I was 14.  I'm 70 now and I still have them.  The are custom built like the Russels, and as long as you keep them greased up you can wade in them and you feet will stay dry.  They cost an arm and a leg in 1962 and probably an entire human body now, though.  I wore mine quail hunting for many years, hard enough to need two soles and a new set of bottoms. My feet were size 7 1/2 when I got the boots but grew into 8's.  I can still wear the Gokeys but they are not as comfortable now as they were.  I still like the style, but just wear Muck boots nowadays...SelbyLowndes 

Thats awesome! Did you ever get hit by a snake?

SODAKer

I have a pair of Asolo and I like them but it did take me some time to get used to the alpine sole. 

SelbyLowndes
1 hour ago, sharptail grouse said:

Thats awesome! Did you ever get hit by a snake?

Never, not with the boots on anyway.  It's kind of like buying life insurance' its a guarantee you won't die...SelbyLowndes