mccuha

Back up vehicle

mccuha

I’m thinking of getting a back up vehicle. I was thinking of a small suv type vehicle that is 4wd and gets pretty good gas mileage. Ford Escape is one of the options anything else someone would recommend. I will buy used and really looking for something that would be a good deal. Several yrs old model.  Want to use it for a back up driver and use it to hunt out of some. 

River19

Rav4 2013+.......had a couple, basic but comfortable and got mid to upper 20mpgs highway and about 23 mixed.  AWD with proper tires was as good or better than my Subarus with similar tires.  I could fit two intermediate crates side by side in the back with the seats still in place.  Also has the ability to lock in 4WD vs pure AWD.  It isn't an off road rig but it will get the job done easily on most stuff.

grouse28

Had a RAV4 as a rental after my Liberty was demolished by a logging truck while deer hunting.

Finished the season with it and it hauled all the stuff my liberty held. Was impressed with it in the snow.

Actually liked it.

Tim Frazier

We have a place nearby that brings vehicles up from Florida, he currently has two Rav4 (06 and 08) with around 100,000miles. probably will sell for 5-6,000 and would make great 2nd vehicles.  I bought my 2003 F150 off him 3 summers ago and have no regrets. 

16949_4293_2763.jpg

16949_4293_2772.jpg

grouse28

All my previous vehicles could back up, never needed a separate vehicle to do that. Now if I could only get my dogs to back reliably.

dogrunner

I’ve had 2 Escapes good vehicles for the money. 

erik meade

What vehicle will this one be backing up?

Wet Dog

Nissan XTerra. Doesn't have the mpg the others mentioned but built for off road use.

salmontogue

Ford Explorer, Lincoln MKX (can be bought for similar dollars as Explorer if you look hard), Ford Escape, Lincoln MKC.  Explorer and MKX would be first choices.

Perk

Flush

Ford Escape, Toyota Rav4, Subaru Forester or Outback, Honda CRV are all vehicles that I think could fit the bill. 

Around here Toyota, Honda, and Subaru hold their value really well so in these parts you are most likely to find a deal on an Escape, but that may not hold in all areas.

I personally believe of that list the Toyota is likely to be the most reliable, although not necessarily the nicest or most fun to drive.

I guess one other vehicle that's worth noting is older Lexus RX300 or RX330. I found that the price difference between older RX's and  Toyota SUVs is very very small and actually I think in some cases the Lexus is cheaper. Around here there are quite a few older Lexus's that are extremely well cared for....and cheap for what they are. Out here everyone and their brother that wants a cheap reliable vehicle is looking for an older Toyota, most people on a budget don't even think of Lexus and as a result the demand is less. As a bonus the average Lexus is cared for better than the average Toyota. The older ones aren't overly fancy and can be used for light hunting/fishing duty just like an Escape or RAV4.

jeff88

Seems like Avis or Enterprise would be a really cost effective back-up.  I've been renting awd/4wd for years for hunting trips, don't see why they wouldn't work for localized needs.  $5,000 would go a long way for rentals and you're only in for gas as the variable.  Now if you want a daily driver, that to me is not a back-up, just a 2nd ride.

mccuha
6 hours ago, erik meade said:

What vehicle will this one be backing up?

I have a Chevy 4x4 Silverado crew. 2016. And wife has a 2015 highlander. I was just thinking about another vehicle that would get better mileage than my truck that I could have for a spare as well possibly use for a daily driver at times. I want 4x4 so I could use to hunt in sometimes.  We needed a spare the other week due to one having warranty work being done.  That’s when I thought it would be nice to have a inexpensive vehicle 

erik meade

Well, in that case I agree with jeff88.  The best backup would be a rental.

terrym

We have owned 2 Ford Escapes (V6-4wd) and they were great little vehicles. Don’t own one now but would buy another. 

Dogwood

I have a used 2015 Subaru Outback as a second vehicle.  I live in a rural area and average 30 mpg.  Higher ground clearance than many other rigs of it's type and serves as a great hunting rig.  Very comfortable to drive. Excellent AWD system, a goat in the snow.  I don't know your budget but you could go back to 2010's and have the same rig.

Have driven the previous generation boxy Escapes; very nice vehicle and can be had cheap.  Very dependable I'm told.