FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Remo

X-Mas Presents 4 Hunters

Remo

A friend asked what she could get for her hunting husband. Two things I received lately that I really like are Kuiu Yukon Gaiters and a Carhartt black ski mask. It is a thin material full head & neck covering that you can wear a hat over it. Both really take the sting out of winter. A Havalon knife is pretty slick too.

mccuha
11 hours ago, Remo said:

A friend asked what she could get for her hunting husband. Two things I received lately that I really like are Kuiu Yukon Gaiters and a Carhartt black ski mask. It is a thin material full head & neck covering that you can wear a hat over it. Both really take the sting out of winter. A Havalon knife is pretty slick too.

I’ve got one of those carhartt Bennie/face mask. ( I’m guessing the same as you have) and it’s the cats meow 

oak stob

Windstopper sweater

Mike da Carpenter

Bought the kuiu gaiters for an elk hunt a few years ago.  Excellent product.  

My suggestion is if someone asks what someone else wants, I say get them a gift card (Visa) to buy the exact product they want.  So hard to buy something that someone else has to put their trust into.

john mcg

3 good pair of socks and a Stormy Kromer.

Top to bottom

Dave in Maine

More birds.

BlacknTan

Are these Stormy Kromers really that good?? The older I get, the more I need to keep the old melon warm..

Brad Eden

Depends on what he hunts. If exclusively birds then the list is limited. If deer and turkey too, then that opens the floodgates. Anyhow, only she would know what he already has or needs.

Birds:

Gift Certificate/Card from a UJ Sponsor; GDS, Front Range, Orvis.

A Gerber or equivelant "Poultry Shears". The best tool for processing birds. IMO

Brad Eden
13 hours ago, BlacknTan said:

Are these Stormy Kromers really that good?? The older I get, the more I need to keep the old melon warm..

I don't  really think so. The ear flaps are worthless in any serious cold weather. And I look like a dweeb in them. If you haven't already, peruse this 4 page Topic on Kromers. Some really funny stuff. 

(They are quite Fuddy Duddy though.😉)

dogrunner
14 hours ago, BlacknTan said:

They do keep your head warm if I  need to keep my ears warm from wind or brutal cold temps I wear a knit hat I can pull down. 

john mcg

Warmer than a ball cap and the ear flaps do function. Cold weather can mean from 40 degrees and calm to 0 degrees and windy.

Some guys have colder ears than other guys.

For me, that flap coverage makes a difference when a difference is needed.

I would bet my filson cork insoles that I am not all that unique.

BlacknTan
2 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

(They are quite Fuddy Duddy though.😉)

Sounds perfect for me!! 😄

Besides, if I were to run across a women in a short skirt and heels in the woods, at my age, it wouldn't embarrass me... Hell.. she might think me cute and take me home for tea...

oak stob
16 hours ago, BlacknTan said:

Maybe. 😉

IF someone asks "does this SK cap make my head look big?" then there could be issues involved beyond the capability of any cap to address.

NECarson

Honestly, I've been super impressed with the Under Armor Storm hoodies and sweaters. 

Not the waterproof stuff, the water resistant soft line. Great for damp days...