FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
chilly460

Vole/mole/field mouse breaking

chilly460

Took my setter, Blanton, out to state game lands in PA yesterday.  He started out fine but then started chasing voles or field mice. The field we were in was absolutely covered with them, I'd notice a burrow every 10ft and sometimes more frequently.  He would stalk and false point them, basically giving up on birds.  I could see the moles scurrying which I know must be distracting as hell for a young dog.  After about two hours I gave up and brought him back to the truck. 

Is there any way to break him of this other than just calling him off every time he stalks one?  Or is it just a matter of him learning to ignore them? 

bobman

Ignore it and keep walking  vigorously encourage bird finds when they happen he will outgrow it 

everytime you try try and “break” a behavior out of a dog you have a little less dog when you are done, if you let them figure out stuff on their own they believe it and won’t need correction in the future 

I don’t break behaviors unless they are potentially dangerous 

chilly460

Good advice, I took him to a preserve on Friday and he was much more focused, just called him off and kept walking when he’d start messing with them.

Remo

Agree with Bobman. All my dogs as pups worked voles, just because they were moving and easy to catch. They all lost interest after a bit.

E.Young

With the bird numbers we have in VA, it is easy to not be finding birds and then the dog gets bored. Once he gets some bird back in his nose, he'll forget about the little critters