FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Ted Moore

Game cameras

Ted Moore

With Christmas coming up, my wife will want to buy me something and I think I want a trail cam to set up in my back yard so I can see what critters visit during the night. Since living here I have had moose, bear, deer, gray and red foxes, coyotes, fisher cats, turkeys, woodcock and even a grouse once. But I have no idea about the different cameras and what I should ask for. I will basically strap it to a tree and forget about it. So do they have memory cards? How do you view the pictures they take? Let me know what I should be asking for since I know nothing. As an aside, we had a herd of deer out back today...I counted 7 but there may have been more.

mccuha

I like the bushnell camera.  I’ve had no problems and can be had for a little under$100

WPG Gizmo

Come on over and I will give you one I have like 8 laying around tell your wife to buy you more ammo

bobman

I would like to hear answers to the same answer my wife wants one too

Remo

#metoo!  Had a Cuddleback camera years ago but it fritzed in a couple years. You pulled the card, slipped it into a little reader gizmo that plugged into the port on your computer for viewing. Now you can get them to send pics right to your phone. I pile the bird carcasses and like to see what comes in for lunch.

Kieffer

I recently got a Spypoint Link-Dark cell camera for free when I bought a new pair of binos from BH Photo online.  I'm not sure if they screwed up or if it was intentional to offer such a good deal.  I put it out back of the house to test it out and it's pretty nice being able to look on my phone to view the photos.  Initially you get a month free of the unlimited photo data plan.  After that, you have the option of a free 100 photos per month plan or one of their paid data plans.  If you have the delay set pretty low you can take 100 photos pretty quickly.  For now, I'll stick with the free plan and then just view anything past 100 pics on the card.

rolawson

Kieffer, must have been a heck of a pair of binoculars. I use the Covert brand and have had good luck.

gunsrus

I was thinking of putting one in Maine . Yes , there is a lot of game but it would be nice to see who may drive up the driveway when we're not there . I'd like to be able to access it through the phone and not have to take out a card . It gets pretty damn cold up there , do temps affect it in any way ? Any thoughts ?

Uplander

Several years ago I bought one for Dear Ol’ Dad and set it up in the backyard of the Old Homestead.  It has a simple memory card; we pull it when I visit and look on my parents’ computer.  Have seen innumerable deer, plenty of rodent type varments of all types, a few bobcats, bears, etc. 

It’s shocking, the number of foxes, fishers, raccoons, etc. that wander around right under our noses on a daily basis....

I PM’d WPG Gizmo, a SME, before buying.  His recommendation was spot on.

Kurt

Get one that will allow you to download to your phone or a card reader or at least get a reader to view pictures in the field. I have two made by PRIMOS with 12 to 16 megapixel imagery and I recommend no less than that. I have two cameras, TASCO, with less, and the picture quality is poor.  Buy a couple cards for each camera you own so you can swap them out. Expect to pay at least $85. to get a decent one. Watch for the Christmas sales.

Rockford Setters

Brownings are easy to use, great quality and reasonably priced.  I have 4 of them and they are my favorite.

Brad Eden

I have 5 Cuddeback trail cameras. A few different models all around the $100 to $150 price range. Love them. I've tried other brands and sent them back for a variety of reason. One being that the controls, LED,s etc are so small you need to use a magnifying glass or put your readers on and off just to check and change anything on them especially in the field. Cuddebacks have large easy to read and understand controls and screens. And photo quality is good. But, beware, none of the cam brands i have found have embraced Apple/Macs. Always issues when trying to upgrade software etc. They are still living in the PC world. But I get by with the Cuddys.

Sky is the limit as far as functionality and price. I like to keep things simple, others mileage varies.

Generally they all take SD cards. But with most any you can use the internal memory and copy photos over to an SD card. It's just a matter of taking the cam out of the box, put in good batteries like lithium, read manual and set the controls for length between taking photos, resolution, time, date etc,...Put in an SD card, strap it to a tree at around thigh height and turn it on. Then go back whenever you want and pull the card. Get a card reader if your computer or tablet doesn't have one built in and copy photos to your photo album. Some more expensive models have screens built in so you can view photos on the camera, I've heard.

IMG_0915.PNG

My current favorite Model. 20mp IR model H 1453. Simple like I said

image.jpgimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegI__00007.JPGI__00009.JPGIMG_0068.JPGI__00099.JPGIMG_0603.JPGCdy00009.JPGI__00021.JPGCdy00006.JPGCdy00010.JPGI__00008.JPG

WPG Gizmo

Game cameras have come a long way in the last 20 years I still have one that I built out of a old Olympus camera that uses 35mm film.

If all you want to do is see what comes around your house dont go all out and get the top of the line get a cheap easy to use camera it will cost you well under $100 and do everything you want it to do.  Get 2 16 Gig SD cards and about once a week swap the cards out my PC has a slot that I can just plug the card into so it is easy to get the pictures but if yours doesnt just get a simple SD to USB adapter.

If you want to go all out and get a Camera that send pictures to your phone you can do that also but expect to pay $300+ and you need a service plan from a provider like Verizon or Sprint to transfer the photos to your phone these cameras also store the pictures on a SD card.  You also have to be within a certain range of a tower otherwise they dont transmit well so if you have bad cell reception these cameras dont transmit pictures.

Al I would go a different route if I was you and set up a wireless security system with remote viewing something like this https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oco-Pro-Bullet-Outdoor-Indoor-1080p-Cloud-and-Security-Wireless-Standard-Surveillance-Camera-with-Remote-Viewing-OPHWB-16US/300361274?cm_mmc=Shopping|G|VF|SmartHome|Multi|NA|PLA|TopSKUs|NEW|71700000043519444|58700004578304380|92700038431240235&gclid=Cj0KCQiArenfBRCoARIsAFc1Fqe9l-q2t0cqYKWp_P16XtaUVBb2wnnYL_cC6O9TbO6jIEf0BSmcp8IaAmKiEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Brad Eden

Older but somewhat current long running Topic on Trail Caneras. Some of the older post have photos missing:

Thunder Bay

Cry once (it’s expensive)... Reconyx.  Nearly bulletproof and deadnuts reliable.  I have three of them set up on strategic spots my property and have had problem free results for >4 years.  I’ve had other brands and “homegrown” that work for a couple months and start experiencing issues (water leaks, intermittent battery problems, poor focus, etc.).