FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
sxsneubaum

Springer National Am Championship... Quite the Ride

sxsneubaum

Web and I qualified for the Springer Spaniel National Amateur Championships in Mt. Sterling, Ohio.  Took off last Wednesday for the training day before the nationals.  Needed it since we haven't been able to train much since the time change.  The trial was supposed to kick off on the 15th, but due to freezing rain the committee postponed the trial and it began on Friday.  I had budgeted about three days for this trial, one I didn't expect to get very far.  Two, I certainly didn't expect the delay in the start of the trial.  The trial ended on Tuesday. 

The first two series were in tall thick cover, perfect for Web, it's the type of cover we hunt in all the time.  The weather was cold and wet.  The 3rd-5th series were in a bit shorter cover, but still plenty of challenge.  Marked retrieves were the main culprit in this trial, many good dogs went out unable to make their retrieves.  Web was a retrieving machine.  He only had one mismarked retrieve the entire trial.  Web was solid throughout, however, going to the same field 3 days in a row had him jacked up. 

The 5th series came and we were in it.  During the 5th series almost every dog got three contacts.  The first part of his run, wasn't the best, all the waiting and he was running big.  The proceeding two birds were beautiful work, good finds, hard flushes and spot on retrieves. 

At the end of the day we didn't place (pretty sure the first part of the 5th series cost us a placement)  but we did receive a Certificate of Merit.  The CM is known as the "green weenie", which is a complete misnomer, it was hard earned in a tough trial.  I'm still in disbelief that we finished, absolutely ecstatic in earning a CM, and humbled at the opportunity. 

During a break when me and the dog were wet and cold we were able to dry out and warm up in front of the lodge fireplace. 

Since I spent a week with him in the field, soon as we could, yesterday morning, we went hunting. 

NAC 1.JPG

NAC 2.JPG

NAC 3.JPG

NAC 4.JPG

uplandave

Awesome job congrats to you and Web. Love the last pic. Dave

welsh

Congrats. CM is nothing to sneeze at!

Grifish

Congratulations! First National finish and a CM, wow. Web, you’re a good boy!

DTB

Great accomplishment.. You deserve it.

sxsneubaum
2 hours ago, Grifish said:

Congratulations! First National and a CM, wow. Web, your a good boy!

First national finished.  Made another one but judged out in the 3rd series of that one.

dogrunner

Nice, good luck on the rest. 

Dongotto

Well done John!

paul frey

I know a friend of mine ran his first National there too. 

sxsneubaum
8 hours ago, paul frey said:

I know a friend of mine ran his first National there too. 

Who was that?

Pat Berry

Quite an accomplishment, my friend. Looking forward to seeing what happens next year.

jackiep

Wow that is quite a accomplishment.......Congratulations!

Bob Blair

Outstanding John! Good job Web!