FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Speaks

ruff tough kennel sizing

Speaks

I have my new setter pup coming home soon and am trying to get everything all set up for him. I have used wire crates for all my dogs in the past, well initially for cost, and then because I had them. Either way I have three crates in use right now so new pup will need his own new one so I was looking at options. I like the idea of the ruff tough ones because of the reviews and because even though I generally just have my dogs loose in the cab of my truck if I did want to kennel during travel it would be a good safe option. Also I like the idea of being able to strap it to the back of the quad to get to some harder to reach places. 

My best estimation is the setter will be 45-50 pounds based on the breeding. Everything I have read would point me toward the medium or more likely intermediate size. I stopped at Cabelas yesterday to look at them though and they seem really small for a dog that will be that size. For a house kennel I would have defaulted to the large or xtra large, is the smaller size recommendation based on it being a travel kennel where you dont want the dog to move as much? If so do you guys have separate travel and home kennels? 

oak stob

Intermediate....for 40# to 58# here.

No house kennel now but that would be the size were I to use one....I have employed a larger wire kennel with a moving divider for house-breaking.

The barn kennel is a split 10'x10' horse stall, if Porter needs to take the air.

25/06

Intermediate.

look at the optional handles. I usually throw all the dog accessories in the kennel when checking into motel, this allows me to take kennel and

dog stuff into the motel in one quick trip with the dog on lead. If you fly I highly recommend the optional handles at it make it easier for the baggage people to move the

kennel with the dog in it and probably give the dog a lot better ride.

Fur and Feathers

sloth5202

Intermediate for 60#.  It seemed small to me but it works great for the dog and plenty of room.  It fits great in the backseat of my Ram Crew Cab with the seats up.  I also have large eye hole screws that fit in the top so I can easily and securely strap it down in the back if I need to.  Great kennel.

KenB

Two Ruff Tough intermediates fit side by side in the back of a series 200 Land Cruiser with the third row seats folded up like they were designed for it. Two large wire kennels in use back at home. 

My two setters are 40-45 lbs each. 

Stop by and take a look if you’d like. I live in Stillwater, work in Oakdale, shoot at the Hudson Gun Club, and shoot sporting/run dogs at Game Unlimited. 

Is your pup coming from someone local?

Ted Moore

Intermediate fits my 42 pound setter perfectly. I have two large ones also for my Goldens that are 60 and 75 pounds. 

braque du upstate

Intermediate for my lab. Small by design.  Really just depends  . Smaller, they tend to lay down and jackhole less. Larger,they tend to get into trouble. 

Dave Erickson

I use larges for my leggy 70# Drahts. There's enough hay in them that they're probably an intermediate size now! 

paul frey

My 65 LB Lab uses an intermediate size and there is plenty of room for her. 

cockerfan

Those are intermediate sized kennels. About 85 lbs of cocker in the one on the right. 

20181125_113026.jpg

OKhunter

I would recommend a medium.  I have an intermediate for my 70lb Draht and he seems to have plenty of room to turn around, curl up and sleep when we are on the road.  The video above is how I decided what size to get.

Westksbowhunter

For your setter when full grown, you will want the intermediate.  For your new puppy, you will want a small crate that the dog can just have enough room to turn around in.  For crate training a puppy, you want a small puppy crate.