MilRob

Crispi guide boots

Dogwood

From the web descriptions these appear to be rugged mountain boots not grouse woods/prairie boots.  Not true?

River19
53 minutes ago, Dogwood said:

From the web descriptions these appear to be rugged mountain boots not grouse woods/prairie boots.  Not true?

My friend that has them, and his family are die hard rabbit and deer hunters that also hunt grouse, it all happens in the same woods, mountains, hills, terrain.  Hell sometimes we are hunting them all at once lol

They walk, and no word of a lie, easily 10-20miles per day on deer tracks.  This year my friend Sean went up and over the same mountain multiple times in the same day after the same buck following the track and if he swears by them........99.9% of the folks on this site are covered provided they fit well 🙂

MilRob

I guess for me it all depends on how you walk.   In the prairies I put on 20 mile days.   In the grouse woods I will put in 10 mile plus days and I don't walk trails.  I am hard on my boots and I need a boot with stability...Climbing over tree/deadfalls/hidden holes.  Up and down hills, across creeks, swamps etc.    I have tried numerous other leather boots.  My thoughts on a couple different brands.   Danner--leather stretches out and loses all support when they get wet.  Stitches on the toe and sides wear out quickly.    Meindls-stitching came apart and had a terrible break in period.   Lowa-very comfortable but had a pair of Z8s GTX boots leak within a year.   All that said these Crispi despite the price seem like the real deal IF they hold up.   

All that said I do wear rubber boots during the wet days of grouse hunting.    They dont really offer any support but it is the choice between ankle and foot support vs being wet all day long.   I usually side on rubber boots during the wet days of grouse hunting.     

Dogwood
13 minutes ago, MilRob said:

I guess for me it all depends on how you walk.   In the prairies I put on 20 mile days.   In the grouse woods I will put in 10 mile plus days and I don't walk trails.  I am hard on my boots and I need a boot with stability...Climbing over tree/deadfalls/hidden holes.  Up and down hills, across creeks, swamps etc.    I have tried numerous other leather boots.  My thoughts on a couple different brands.   Danner--leather stretches out and looses all support when they get wet.  Stitches on the toe and sides wear out quickly.    Meindls-stitching came apart and had a terrible break in period.   Lowa-very comfortable but had a pair of Z8s GTX boots leak within a year.   All that said these Crispi despite the price seem like the real deal IF they hold up.   

All that said I do wear rubber boots during the wet days of grouse hunting.    They dont really offer any support but it is the choice between ankle and foot support vs being wet all day long.   I usually side on rubber boots during the wet days of grouse hunting.     

Which model did you buy?

MilRob

The guide gtx.   10" boot.  They were on sale a week ago.   Looks like the sale is over now.  

River19
12 minutes ago, MilRob said:

I guess for me it all depends on how you walk.   In the prairies I put on 20 mile days.   In the grouse woods I will put in 10 mile plus days and I don't walk trails.  I am hard on my boots and I need a boot with stability...Climbing over tree/deadfalls/hidden holes.  Up and down hills, across creeks, swamps etc.    I have tried numerous other leather boots.  My thoughts on a couple different brands.   Danner--leather stretches out and looses all support when they get wet.  Stitches on the toe and sides wear out quickly.    Meindls-stitching came apart and had a terrible break in period.   Lowa-very comfortable but had a pair of Z8s GTX boots leak within a year.   All that said these Crispi despite the price seem like the real deal IF they hold up.   

For the record......the miles they walk and cover we hunt is typical nasty grouse crap......swamps, hills, rock walls, dead fall all over the place.....etc.  I would look hard at the Crispis.....

UplandHntr

You guys like wearing a 10” boot rather than a 8” boot? Seems really tall. Looks like midway usa might have them on sale

MilRob

The 10" boot has roughly 8" of full waterproofing with the cut out for the tongue.   Any shorter than that I get water over the tops crossing creeks.

gunsrus

Good info .

Cold Iron
On 11/30/2018 at 12:32 PM, Dogwood said:

Not in the modern sense of a mountain boot. They have the same support but a lot more flex in a lighter weight. They also offer a wide range of boots in the US now. Elk and sheep hunters find them to work well because they allow use in the mountains sidehilling, have excellent ankle support, and are a load bearing boot allowing packing out an elk on a mountain. Or chasing grouse and pheasants both of which I do wearing Crispi boots.

Originally they were imported by someone in Bend Oregon and he didn't do a good job of customer support and lost the right to import Crispi. Several years ago BlackOvis picked it up and pretty sure that they are actually Crispi US. Now they are also sold through Scheels and Midway USA with each having a model exclusive to them. 

What sets the Crispi apart from other boots for me is the A.B.S.S.: Ankle Bone Support System. It works, not all their boots have it but the higher end ones do. The Midway and Scheels exclusive Crispi boots are made to a lower price point and do not include A.B.S.S. The boots that have it provide more ankle support than a stiffer and heavier true mountaineering boot. And a lot more flexibility.

I get a cortisone shot in my left ankle 3 weeks before bird season each year, limited to just a couple shots a year. It is for degenerative arthritis and has to be ultrasound guided,  couple of months ago the doctor told me there is enough damage and calcium build up that it might be last one because the opening is so small now. Mayo Clinic Sports Medicine has made me a custom set of orthotics for the rest of the damage in my feet. Even with those 2 things no other boot allows me the support and ability to walk like the Crispi boots do. Still can't sidehill or walk across frozen uneven ground but can do more than I could before them. A lot more.

Crispi US has a good video review of each Crispi boot that is very accurate IME. This is the 10" guide.

They compare it to the 8" Nevada which I also have. The younger guy likes the 10" Guide more for the additional ankle support over the Nevada. And I do not disagree with him at all. The Nevada has A.B.S.S. also but being shorter it doesn't provide quite as much support, close but I can tell the difference. 10" is just about perfect for support at least with my feet. And why I also purchased the 10" Crispi Idaho in addition to the 10" Guide.

MilRob

After the first 30 miles I can safely say these are the most comfortable boots I have ever had.    Now I just hope they hold up. 

Wes Stueber

Guys,

Where is the best outlet to buy a pair of the Crispi boots?  Not Scheel's or MidwayUSA…?  Thanks!

Brittman

River19

I finally pulled the trigger and got a pair of the Hunter GTXs 12" Insulated.......

Put them on when they arrived and was pleasantly surprised with the fit and finish, as I would expect for the price.

Might take them on their maiden voyage today.

Update:  3 Days afield with them and they are easily the most comfy boot I've worn.  Best thing I can say about them is I never thought about them when in the woods.

Quig

I bought a pair of hunter GTX in late August. Wore them in the house and yard for a few days. I’ve been hunting Grouse in Michigan since 9/15, I like them, I crossed some creeks, (waded) totally dry, good support. I’ve got terrible ankles, which pushed me to spend the money. I tried a older pair of cabelas yesterday, not near the boot. They were half the price however.

I recommend them if you have bad ankles, flex front to back with great side to side support 

sharptail grouse
29 minutes ago, Quig said:

I bought a pair of hunter GTX in late August. Wore them in the house and yard for a few days. I’ve been hunting Grouse in Michigan since 9/15, I like them, I crossed some creeks, (waded) totally dry, good support. I’ve got terrible ankles, which pushed me to spend the money. I tried a older pair of cabelas yesterday, not near the boot. They were half the price however.

I recommend them if you have bad ankles, flex front to back with great side to side support 

I bought some in August as well. Great boots, but one is just a little too small - my weird feet. I like everything else about them though. They are for sale - I've been trying to sell them l, but I may have to list them. I'd let them go very cheap and only maybe 10 miles on them. I just bought a pair of Kennetreks - they look like the same boot, so maybe that wasn't such a good idea.