Bede

Behold the ultimate vehicle

salmontogue
5 hours ago, Bede said:

Well, I'm unsure I can ever go back to the high purchase price and low MPG of a pickup, but I'll be damned if this isn't the coolest vehicle I have seen in a loooooooong time. 

https://jalopnik.com/the-2019-jeep-gladiator-is-the-glorious-jeep-pickup-you-1830696134

Any bets on the pricing?

Perk 

sidelock
10 hours ago, Bede said:

Well, I'm unsure I can ever go back to the high purchase price and low MPG of a pickup, but I'll be damned if this isn't the coolest vehicle I have seen in a loooooooong time. 

https://jalopnik.com/the-2019-jeep-gladiator-is-the-glorious-jeep-pickup-you-1830696134

Doesn't look much different than a regular Jeep with an extended cargo area to me. 

john mcg

They shoulda just taken the Wagoneer and be done with it.

Dakota Dogman

To each their own... to me long cab short bed = ugly.

I'm with John mcg, give me the Wagoneer.

God Bless,

apachecadillac

Nostalgia/marketing ploy.  The '80s Grand Wagoneer on the towbed is a dead giveaway.  Sort of like the FJ Cruiser and the Land Cruiser.  If I don't want/can't afford the Lexus GX 470 or whatever the real Land Cruiser morphed into, give me a 4Runner anyday.  Sell the FJ Cruiser to somebody who assumes that, just because it's called a rio and has a bridge over it,  it has water in it.  They'll be bragging about their FJ Cruiser's fording capacity in no time.

My Dad had a late 70s/early 80s Jeep Pickup.  It may have had the worst gas mileage of the era.  6-8 mpg.  My B-i-L took it on as a project and I think ended up donating it to charity.

I'll take the Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon.  Or a Taco or a Frontier.  But, YMMV.

john mcg
15 minutes ago, Dakota Dogman said:

To each their own... to me long cab short bed = ugly.

I'm with John mcg, give me the Wagoneer.

God Bless,

Many moons ago, I drove a Wagoneer from NH to northern BC in mid-winter. A good portion of the way across the prairie provinces, it was a snowing and blowing like ya read about. That old heavy loaded Wagoneer with Quadra-trak worked like a charm.

If memory serves the power plant was a 360 and she did guzzle.

Dave Medema

I've been toying with putting together a brute kit.  My hesitation is the power, speed, and MPG of the source jeep.  

FWIW - Jeep has been teasing the PU for a few years.  I'm not holding my breath for its release.

Tim Frazier

Manual tranny and diesel would be great.  My problem would be the same as many I suppose...is it really worth anymore than a Tacoma with an extended cab?

Joel S.

The bed looks too short to be of much useful value. It just exposes your gear to the elements and potential theft. Too bad, a small pickup from Jeep along the lines of the old Comanche might gain a following.

SelbyLowndes

Jeep made a pickup years ago.  My most vivid memory of it was the time I'd been fishing in Bond's Swamp south of Macon,GA when on the way back the drive shaft came undone from the transmission and was dragging up newly paved, but on-opened I-16.  Long tow home...SelbyLowndes

dogrunner

I would not call that Ultimate.  Pricing I would say the start would be around 31k. 

River19

Sweet Jesus another "SUK" coming to market?  What didn't people learn with the Avalanche, Ford SportTrac, Subaru whatever it was a few years back.......

What made a true Jeep useful off road was it's entry and departure angles and wheelbase combined with decent capabiltiy out of the box, granted reliability wasn't a huge win but.....

It seems like they took everything that made a Jeep kinda cool and useful and changed it.  Best case scenario you put a cap on the back for dogs and you have a more awkward Tacoma or Canyon etc.

Speaking of Tacomas.....I am a die hard Toyota fan and still cannot for the life of me understand the infatuation with them.  I've owned one and driven many, and I am very familiar with the aftermarket for them etc. and I still don't get the $ people pay for them.  I just drove my buddies sweet 2016 TRD with a mild lift and slightly larger tires and the thing was gutless even with the 6sp...... but I digress.

oak stob

My guess is that new Jeep offering would deliver a lot of cabin noise.

Dakota Dogman

I think so, our old landrover has a fold down windshield, and they are really not as cool as one hopes.  

Don't mean to crash the jeepers party.

God bless,