FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
mccuha

bee hive

mccuha

Not sure if this is the proper place for this topic. anyway  My FIL is an impossible man to buy a Christmas gift for. He has everything or will have it before you can think of it. He's been talking about getting a bee hive. I thought that would make a good gift and talking with my wife she thought that would be a good idea. I don't know squat about bees. I was thinking of getting him a starter hive (box). not sure really what it's called. and when the spring comes get him a queen and the other bees that go along with her.  I know where I can get the bees from but what about the hive(box) and other items that are necessaties for starting out. What do I need and where do you get it from. There's no where around here I can find these things.

Starsky

Google Brushy Mountain Bee.  They will have starter hive kits.  I have used Ruhl Bee Supply just because they are on the left coast and I think they are now owned by Brushy Mountain.

Wet Dog

There are lots of options online:

Bee Hives

Honey Flow

Amazon has kits too.

mccuha

do you have a particular recommendation for a starter kit that would have for the most part all you need to get started. All this is so foreign to me.

uplandave

Not sure of his knowledge level on the matter but the best thing I did was take a class at the local nature preserve. Really learned a lot and was even able to purchase packages through them. It’s a fun hobby but like all hobbies it takes more time, money and effort than you think. Good luck, Dave 

Two Barrels

Get in touch with your County Extension Office.  There is likely a local beekeeper’s association near you as well and they can help get you started.  Bee Well honey farm is headquartered in Pickens and they sell supplies as well.

Honeybees and quail must be related.  Everything kills them.

mccuha

I’m in luck. There’s a local guy that lives less than 5min from the house. He sells bees all over the country. He’s helping me get all he needs to help start. He as well is going to assist him getting going and help him when he brings the bees over in may.  There is also a local club that has monthly meetings and classes. We re getting him hooked up with all this.  

mccuha
1 hour ago, Two Barrels said:

Get in touch with your County Extension Office.  There is likely a local beekeeper’s association near you as well and they can help get you started.  Bee Well honey farm is headquartered in Pickens and they sell supplies as well.

Honeybees and quail must be related.  Everything kills them.

Funny you should say that.  I have no proof but an old bird hunter along with my hunting partner believe this. They pointed out to me the lack of seed on plants that quail need to survive. They both said that you don’t see bees like you used to that would pollinate plants.  My friend manages his property specifically for quail and he has bees just to pollinate. He says he doesn’t even like honey but likes that his plants are always loaded with seed

WyomingArt

The old time favorite book is " The Hive and the Honey Bee." All the info most folks would ever need about bees. Still available at Amazon etc. Might be a good stocking stuffer.

Two Barrels is right on about county extension agents.

topdog1961

I was having a huge elm tree cut down a couple years ago. The first large branch they cut down was hollow and full of bees and honey. I walked under it for years with no knowledge it was there. I hated to see the hive destroyed so I contacted a local keeper and he was more than happy to come load the branch on a trailer and relocate them. 

dogrunner

I worked on a project this spring, they wanted to do 6 hives. There is more work to keeping bees 🐝 than most realize to keep them healthy.  I tasted some of the comb it was runny and sweet at the end of August. They moved the hives about 3 weeks ago. I will be surprised if more than half make it till next spring. 

DA6D6FC2-CE4E-44B7-8029-7FC6C6DA23F3.jpeg

76253F34-2ACD-4F4E-968E-FF93FB955478.jpeg

CA3F4F9F-B993-4EC5-9344-5948E7373222.jpeg

E2A6E047-5337-4FD3-95A4-4A80855BC699.jpeg

711C211C-B94B-4CA3-B759-66046985E7BF.jpeg