FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Field Grade

Aluminum ladder

Field Grade

Folks,

This may have been discussed here before, but for you construction guys -- what aluminum ladder would you recommend, i.e., a 15-17' extension ladder.

I was thinking of getting a 'Little Giant' in that length range but I wanted to ask here first.

This is not for commercial construction work, this is just for stuff around the house.

Thanks!

Rob J.

gunsrus

Rob , I have a "little giant" . Incredibly well made and versatile . my only complaint is being so well made , it is heavy and clumsy carrying around . 

bobman

20 foot from Home Depot would be minimum ideal length for me, it’s nice to have a long enough one that you can easily step up on a roof while still having a good grip and not have to fully extend the ladder to get that

they are also sturdier when not fully extended 

UplandHntr

I bought a Gorilla extension ladder last year on HD’s black friday ad. Its not light but has wheels on one side for moving it around. Its very sturdy. Can be used as an A frame ladder or extension ladder. Very happy with it

mccuha

Like gunsrus. Little giant. Heavy but versatile. 

WPG Gizmo

Aluminum get a little giant it will do all your household needs 

All my Construction ladders have been fiberglass when your working around wires non conductive is best

Starsky

I would get either an aluminum or a fiberglass extension ladder.  I have both and use the aluminum the most just because it is lighter and easier to move around.  My wife bought me a little giant and not only that, she bought herself one for around the house.  I can't stand the damn thing and she can barely move hers.

erik meade

I couldn’t get past the heaviness of the do everything types, so ended up with separate extension and step ladders.  Store the extension ladders on my dog run. 

Field Grade

Thanks, fellas. I will check out a Little Giant. I think one of the shorter ones will be fine and that will cut down on the weight.

Jacksdad

have the 'gorilla' brand version of the little giant.  really stable ladder.  a bit heavier than a simple A frame fiberglass ladder.  

Cooter Brown
3 hours ago, gunsrus said:

Rob , I have a "little giant" . Incredibly well made and versatile . my only complaint is being so well made , it is heavy and clumsy carrying around . 

If it came with a guy to carry it around it'd be the perfect ladder.  Great idea but too damned heavy.

I'm with bobman and Erik.  A quality 6ft aluminum step ladder and a 20 ft extension should serve most any homeowner well.

Non conductive is great but heavy, and I don't work on anything hot anymore and am watchful of lines overhead.

NECarson

I despise aluminum extension ladders. 

The Little Giant type ladders are ok, but I'd rather have separate specialized ladders. 

max2

I would go to a lumber yard and special order a a type 1 A  werner . Years ago Flint was a name as well as Louisville but today Werner is the name I see the most. Be careful  and always dig the feet in when you can. The feet flip and can be pressed into the ground. On flat concrete try not to place the ladder to steep or not steep enough.   Iv'e worked on ladders my whole adult life and can say I would not own a little giant or a knock-off of one. They are just to heavy to lug around.  To extend one of those ladders & then push it up can be quite the chore.

Be careful folks when working off ladders . Like the labels on them will say . Can cause serious injury or death. I have known folks who experienced both.  

Urban_Redneck

I've had a little giant 10+ years it's incredibly versatile, heavy, stable, and a pain in the ass. What you really want is an extension ladder to get on the roof and a 6' fiberglass A frame ladder for everything else.

$0.02

Virgil Kane

I myself have all Werner ladders, 32' extention and 6 foot "A" frame. I buy Werner  because I weigh 250 lbs or there abouts and I trust their ladder ratings.  But when I put in a claim on my homeowners insurance the roof guys were using telescoping ladders.  I had never seen them before and if I were a lighter guy I might consider one.  They come in different lengths and dependent on model rated up to 300 pounds.  Kind of neat and a real space saver.

Something on the order of these. Not sure if there are different manufacturers but easy enough to google if you have never seen these before.

https://www.amazon.com/Xtend-Climb-770P-Telescoping-12-5-Foot/dp/B000JIL0WU

Virgil