Sign in to follow this  
MilRob

Garmin alpha clip warning

MilRob

While grouse hunting the other day I looked down and noticed my Garmin Alpha was missing.   I had no idea how long it was gone for.   I have the Garmin clip and have it attached to my Wingworks vest.   Luckily there was a little snow on the ground and I backtracked for over an hour before I found it clipped to a branch hanging in the air.   Relieved beyond belief.   Immediately added a secondary lanyard when I got home.   To those using the garmin clip might was to think about a backup to it.    

This is how I found my transmitter.

M3uRDO9.jpg

Safety backup lanyard now attached

80NOjED.jpg

grouse28

Looks like your dog is trained to point missing transmitters. Setters are great dogs!

Great find!

chilly460

I have mine double lanyard with paracord to a locking carabiner I clip on my vest, def pays to have a backup retainer.  

Ted Moore

I have broken 3 clips but I always have it attached to a gear keeper lanyard so I haven't lost it. I haven't replaced the third clip that I broke last year and now I just shove it in my vest pocket attached to the gear keeper. I have the Garmin Fenix watch that is really nice for seeing how far and where the dog is without having to look at the transmitter. 

MilRob

I have a fenix also.   Find it much more convenient than having to look at the handheld 

terrym
22 minutes ago, MilRob said:

I have a fenix also.   Find it much more convenient than having to look at the handheld 

Does the Fenix work with an Astro 320?

MilRob

I’m pretty sure it does but not 100%

Hub

Yes on the double clip (I use a Gizmodo case) and yes to the Fenix.  I really didn't enjoy the alpha until I got the Fenix.

MilRob

I just left my alpha in my pocket all day and just used my fenix.   So much easier just to look down at my watch 

Dave Erickson

That's good to know regarding the clips. I've been trusting those for years and haven't had a problem, but it only takes once. I also use and enjoy the Fenix. I can feel it vibrate right through my base layer.

61bhs

How does the Fenix work with multiple dogs?

Speaks

Will the Fenix show the map or just compass. Will be buying a set up this summer, have no use for a smart watch other than hunting so debating that portion. 

greg jacobs

Lost mine in a cattail slew. Son spotted the antenna sticking up. Brain locked up. Should have grabbed one of the collars and kept stopping and listening for the point alert.  Son did that and found his in tall weeds. Had a lanyard since that close call.