FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
erik meade

Monocular recommendation?

erik meade

I have an eye condition which makes binoculars rather useless unless I close one eye. 

Anyone have ave a recommendation for a good monocular for general sporting use.  Deer hunting, watching wildlife, etc. 

Rafterboy

I lost the use of an eye, and am very conscious of hunting gear weight, so tried a monocular. What I found was that for long glassing sessions they weren't as comfortable to use as binoculars - holding them steady is harder using just the one hand. 

Then I found a second hand Swaro range finder - perfect!  Held with two hands so nice and steady, use with one eye, and bonus of only needing one item for two jobs. 

Of course there is an extra cost for the RF function, but I needed a range finder anyway so it's all good, and Austrian glass is not bad... The Laser guide model has been out of production for a couple of years, but are worth looking for on the 2nd hand market.

erik meade

Thanks. I hadn’t thought about the fact that holding it might not be great. 

Ill check out the ranger

Wirehair

Yep my recommendation is don't get a monocular. To hard to hold steady. I bought a vortex mono for bowhunting cause i usually hold my bow with one hand and thought the mono would be perfect. Well it's a nice mono clarity wise but it's really hard to hold steady. I no longer us it.