snapt

When did finding out how much a new car cost become so difficult?

snapt

Here's my rant for the day. I'm looking for a new econobox and have called two dealers, one with Jeep Cherokees, MSRP 26,000$ Sale Price $20,000. The other with VW Tiguans MSRP 26,000$ Sale price $19,500.

I tell both what I'm interested in and the Jeep dealer says oh sorry that 20k is based on all the available Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler incentives, but you can't qualify for all of them. Then why are they applied to the price? Seems like false advertising....

The VW folks give me the same schtick about how the 19.5 is based on leasing only...

I asked both what the actual out the door price would be, neither could give me a number, I'd have to come in and see what I qualified for?

It's bonkers, I just want an actual price to apply to my budget to see if it works. Not some mystical price that they'll never actually sell the car for.

It's been a while since i bought a car....

Brad Eden

Wish I could help but I may never buy a new car (truck) ever again. Just not in my card deck. When my current jalopy dies I'll look for a traded in lease with less than 20k. (Same as the one I currently have). Although my wife is in the verge of trading in her Nissan Rogue for a new SUV so that game shall commence soon.

WPG Gizmo

Just ask the cash price out the door and arrange your own financing 

Bede

I had this experience with a local Honda dealer when I was shopping in 2017. I simply moved on. I didn't waste my time with any dealer who couldn't provide a quote via email.  I used truecar to get quotes initially on the vehicles I wanted. I then shopped these around to other dealers in a few hour radius from my house via email. A number of the dealers I contacted were willing to give me detailed quotes via email. I then took the best such quote and emailed it to directly to various dealers. Some bowed out, others matched. I then went to a dealer that was reasonably convenient and had the best price within ~$100-200.  

This was a simple process and I never had to leave my house/office beyond test driving vehicles at local dealers. I would proceed in this manner again if I were on the market. 

Dave in Maine

To answer your question:  "When did finding out how much a new car cost become so difficult?"

When dealers decided the only way to get you past the sticker shock was to have you in their dealership so they could treat you like they were selling timeshares on one of those "free-weekend-at-our-resort-if-you-listen-to-our-sales-pitch" deals.

Fact is, if leasing a car was as good a deal for you, consumer, as they say it is, they wouldn't advertise leasing nearly as heavily.  

I like the way my dad treated a car dealer once.  He walked in to the dealership and started looking at the cars.  The salesman slithered over and asked him what he was looking for.

"A car."

Salesman:  "Well, we have cars.  Please look around and I'll be happy to answer any questions.  We have complementary coffee and donuts over here, please help yourself."

Dad:  "Keep your f***ing coffee and donuts.  I want you to make a profit when I'm done with you."

stephen brown
On 12/3/2018 at 5:02 PM, snapt said:

It's bonkers, I just want an actual price to apply to my budget to see if it works. Not some mystical price that they'll never actually sell the car for.

There otta be a law!! Write your congress woman!!! 

WyomingArt

Friends say Truecar is the place to start price comparison, not in the market right now, never used it myself.

Do those local dealers have an internet desk where you can ask for the out the door price?

Fur and Feathers

What really burns my arse....is when they ask "What do you want your monthly payment to be?" I'll worry about my finances, you tell me the selling price of the vehicle. I don't just walk onto a dealers lot not knowing what I am looking to spend. 

snapt
23 hours ago, Dave in Maine said:

Dad:  "Keep your f***ing coffee and donuts.  I want you to make a profit when I'm done with you."

There's nothing I like more than beating up a car salesman, or better yet, the credit manager who really holds the power.

I ended up with a slightly used Subaru outback for the price I wanted. At the ended I told the the credit guy I needed a set of snow tires included or I'd walk. It extended my stay at the dealer but I got what I wanted for much less than I had planned so its all good.

airmedic1
6 hours ago, Fur and Feathers said:

What really burns my arse....is when they ask "What do you want your monthly payment to be?" I'll worry about my finances, you tell me the selling price of the vehicle. I don't just walk onto a dealers lot not knowing what I am looking to spend. 

Unfortunately, I think most people are deciding what they can buy by how much their monthly payment will be.  When the salesman asks me what I can afford for a monthly payment that pisses me off as well.  When I go in, I tell the sales person that if he can't make the deal, then he needs to go find someone who can.  I won't deal with the low guy who has to go back and ask if he can make the deal.  I told the sales person that when we were buying our 2013 Subaru.  He assured me he could finalize the deal.  He told me they need $15 K to trade, I told him I would give him $6K.  He said he had to go run that by the boss.  (I did my research before I ever went in and knew what my car was worth for a trade in. They wanted me to trade for less than half of what NADA listed.)  So I got up and was leaving when he came back.  I told him that I would only give him one chance and he had blown it, that I wouldn't buy a car from him.  He told me they could go down to $12K as I was walking out the door.  My wife was embarrassed and mad at me for the way I acted but I told her I wasn't unprofessional, I just am not going to tolerate that BS.  The sales manager called me on the phone 30 minutes later and offered to trade for $7K, we struck the deal over the phone for $6,500. 

When I bought the 2017, I walked in and a sales person came over to ask what I was looking for.  I had checked their inventory on-line and told him what I wanted.  He started the normal BS, trying to explain to me the difference between retail and wholesale.  I shook my head and started for the door when the sales manager saw me.  He called me by name and asked what I needed.  I told him I wanted a new car but didn't need a lesson in economics from his sales person who appeared to have graduated from high school a few weeks ago.  He took over dealing with me and when we settled on a price, he asked me how I wanted to pay and offered their zero-percent 60 month financing which I took.  (It doesn't make sense to me to empty my bank account when I can use their money for free)  All in all it was one of the best buying experience I have had in a long time.  He even told me it was refreshing to deal with someone that knew what he wanted and what he was willing to pay.  I know they made money on the deal or they wouldn't have sold it.

Craig Doherty

"When did finding out how much a new car cost become so difficult?"

As soon as Henry Ford added a couple of options to the the Model T.

I sold cars briefly a very long time ago -- the first thing you do is get the customers keys so they can't leave -- then the games begin.

Curt

I always felt that the best thing to do was to establish a baseline of their rock bottom price.  To do that you simply continue to negotiate the price down until they throw you out or walk away from you.  When that happens you know where bottom is and now it's relatively easy to arrive at a price that gives them a minimal profit and at the same time is one you can live with.  If they begin to make snotty remarks during your negotiation process you're getting close.

River19
22 hours ago, Fur and Feathers said:

Simple answer....."Nothing, I want it to be nothing".......usually ends the convo or at least gets them off script.

River19
12 hours ago, Craig Doherty said:

"When did finding out how much a new car cost become so difficult?"

As soon as Henry Ford added a couple of options to the the Model T.

I sold cars briefly a very long time ago -- the first thing you do is get the customers keys so they can't leave -- then the games begin.

Believe it or not my father, back in the 1980s dragged me to the Toyota or Mazda dealer (can't remember which) and before we hit the dealer we swung by the hardware store and he made a copy of his key for the 1970s Pinto we had.  Dealer takes the key to "inspect" the trade, Dad didn't like how the deal was shaping up, dealer starts the "let me go look for your keys" gig and Dad just takes my hand and said something to the effect of "keep it" I have the original and walked tot he car out back and drove home.

That stuck with me.  No one gets my keys unless we have a deal and I give them a time limit before I take my second key, find my car and drive away.

Craig Doherty
2 hours ago, River19 said:

Believe it or not my father, back in the 1980s dragged me to the Toyota or Mazda dealer (can't remember which) and before we hit the dealer we swung by the hardware store and he made a copy of his key for the 1970s Pinto we had.  Dealer takes the key to "inspect" the trade, Dad didn't like how the deal was shaping up, dealer starts the "let me go look for your keys" gig and Dad just takes my hand and said something to the effect of "keep it" I have the original and walked tot he car out back and drove home.

That stuck with me.  No one gets my keys unless we have a deal and I give them a time limit before I take my second key, find my car and drive away.

Great story -- however with the current "smart keys" a second key is like a $100.00 -- I'm sure that's your Dad's fault!