FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Remo

Truck rear seat dog box

Remo

DSC_6103

If you build something like this for your rear seat take everything out from behind the seats (jack, wrenches, etc) because you won't be behind those seats again.

With the rear seats folded up there is a bracket exposed on the bottom of the seats. I used a 3/4 x 4" board the width of the compartment. Lay it on top of the seat brackets and draw your holes through the bracket holes onto the wood. I used over sized washers on both sides of the bolts.

DSC_6153

Next cut a piece of 1/2 plywood the height and length you need and screw it to the board. Pre-drill your screw holes. Cut triangle brace pieces for each end where plywood attaches to horizontal board and glue the bottom. Whether you glue the plywood or screw it on is up to you. I glued it, it's a hunting truck. The &$%#@! thing isn't coming out 'til I sell the truck.

On the front seat side I used a hog panel of 1/4" galvanized rod trimmed with a bolt cutter. It lays on top of the island council between the front seats and goes almost to the roof. If you had to stop suddenly it prevents loose items from coming forward. Two wood blocks in the council hold the bottom side in place and the top is zip tied to the head rests. Between the rod panel and the seat there is 1/2" galvanized mesh wire from the floor up to the height of the plywood, zip tied to the rod panel. Prevents chewing.

Cut 1 more piece of 1/2" galvanized mesh for the roof and zip tie to the rod panel. On the plywood side extend the mesh down the back of the plywood 2". Use a strap iron 1/8 x1" with holes 12' apart to sandwich the wire between the strap and plywood and bolt in place.

DSC_6155

If you have pups that chew you want a protector for the seat belts. I cut a heavy 1" sq. mesh, bent a right angle and zip tied it to the hog panel. Cut some old carpet to fit, shake it out when it gets dusty or toss it and put in fresh & u r done. I did not put seperate doors on each end nor a divider in the middle but it wouldn't be difficult to do so.

DSC_6157

25/06

Nice setup... When I had a Ford Ranger Extended cab, I removed the jump seats all together. Ford actually sold a seat delete kit which consisted of a sheet of plastic for the

back wall and a jumper wire to bypass the seat belt alarm. I just used a piece of wire and left the back wall metal.

My dogs really appreciated the fact that I am only 5'7" tall.

I see you left them access to the cup holder and cigarette lighter.... They can probably charge their own collars:D

Mike da Carpenter

Excellent idea.  Some plumbing pipe insulation would be the only thing I would add to the end of the of the mesh to prevent injury to you or the dogs.

C.J.L.
11 minutes ago, Mike da Carpenter said:

Excellent idea.  Some plumbing pipe insulation would be the only thing I would add to the end of the of the mesh to prevent injury to you or the dogs.

Plumbing pipe insulation AKA a crew toy to my dumb mutt :)  

He'd crew the cage I bet.  The wood for sure.  

Remo
2 hours ago, Mike da Carpenter said:

I tried black plastic water pipe slit length ways. It was in pieces after an hour.

Mike da Carpenter

Then try 1/2” or 3/4” PVC ripped down the center (just through one side) on a table saw.  The kerf (width of the blade) will be wide enough to slip over the wire and then zip tie in place.  Also the PVC will be flexible enough to make the radius.

Skybuster

The primary reason I bought an F150 Super Crew in 2009 was the roomy back seat area, with a flat floor (no hump or brackets). With seats folded up I can get a large size Vari Kennel behind the front seats. I gave up a longer bed however. Your set-up looks good for the area you have to work with.

sloth5202

My Ram 1500 that has a platform built in that folds down so I don't have to worry about brackets.  Two ruff-tuff kennels fit back to back.  I put guns and other things under the platform as well.  It has proved to be a great hunting setup.  It is also easy to convert it back so I can fit the 3 car seats back in.... my wife didn't like the idea of putting the 3 monsters in the kennels  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Cold Iron

Remo I thought you had a Tacoma.

Started my current guy as a pup in the cab of the Taco, if he didn't behave he went into the crate in the bed. Took awhile, but he behaves now and gets to ride with me. Pulled those worthless jump seats out.

I hinged all quadrants of the platform for access including gun storage and the HiLift. Works well for a 55 lb. Toller, larger dogs likely not so much. 

14878968994_3d6a68636e_b.jpg

14901287823_b49975f444_b.jpg

22179751805_e7924540df_b.jpg