topdog1961

Woe is me thread...

topdog1961

I’m happy for everyone in the deer hunting success threads, but looking at all of them is getting depressing during this worst ever season for me.  So I thought maybe we need a thread for us folks having a frustrating season to commiserate with each other.

Normally between my teen son and I, we’d have 3-4 eaters by now, much of it shared with landowners, and the rest in the freezer.  I’d still be hunting occasionally, but only hoping for Bullwinkle to walk by, or maybe take a late season eater for a needy family.  

My son is more interested in girls, playing football early season, and laying around on his phone this year, so he’s only been out a few times, to no avail.  My only (barely) bright spot was a small doe I took with Xbow mid-October.  I debated whether to shot her, but had promised a great-nephew a deer for his wedding present, and it was only a week away.  I made it all into his and his bride’s favorite, sausage.  Not meat for me there.  

Lots of outings later, I had 3 nice doe grazing 35 yards behind and to my right.  I did the right thing by waiting for a better shot.  But they walked away…then an hour later came in from the other direction giving me a perfect 15 yard shot.  I put the red dot behind a shoulder, pulled the trigger, and just grazed the bottom of the chest.  She walked away, there was a couple blood spots but not enough to follow, and I’m sure she lived.  How could I have missed that bad? I checked the bow and someone had turned the distance adjustment on the sight mount.  I never touch that but then remembered my son had hunted with the bow a couple days earlier.  He has his own Xbow but for some reason took mine.  I doubt he even knew what that dial was for, but he sure does now.

Then during mid-November rut I let a 200lb buck pass because his rack was all worn down and busted off, and I only get one buck tag……that was a big greedy mistake.

Then Thanksgiving morning I had a nice doe, curious about my bleat, come in 20 yards broadside right in front of my stand.  I put a Muzzy fixed broadhead right behind her shoulder, about 1/3 the way up, exactly where I aimed and a clean pass through.  She barely jumped, walked over about 40 yards, stood there looking around for 10 minutes, then ambled off.  I waited an hour, found the blood soaked bolt, found a big blood spot where she stood, followed about 20 yards until the blood trail got thin, backed off and went to dinner.  7 hours after I shot her, I continued down her track without a blood trail, she jumped up and trotted off leaving no blood trail.  There was a little blood and hair where she had laid.  How she could do that 7 hours after having a bolt pass through her chest is beyond me.  Maybe the mechanical broadhead advocates are right after all.

I hunted hard 3 days during gun season with no shots fired.  But there were 2 nice doe in front of my stand across the road when I got home at dusk last evening, so I guess I’m not done yet. Bow is in until late January I believe, and we still have a bonus gun weekend and a 4 day muzzleloader season. 

How about you other deer killer wanna be’s, any hard luck stories to share? We can cry in our beers together. 

NCgrouse

Sure.

I have only had the chance to go out once this year. About 30 minutes into the sit, a big damp soggy fog rolled into the lower end of the field I was sitting on. Could hardly see the ground under my stand. Hunt over.

We have about 3 weeks left, but with the holidays and other obligations, it doesn't look good. I suppose ill have to try to shoot a deer's body weight worth of birds to make up for it.

Kurt

Two days of the PA buck/doe season remaining and I stuck in there this evening till ten minutes of 5 shivering and wondering if I'd be able to walk the half mile back to the vehicle. Two evenings ago I had three antlerless deer slip through the brush and onto the edge of the cornfield where I was posted. They were at about 70 yards and I could still see my sights ( about 4:55 PM) so I had pretty much decided to fill one of my two tags, but, in the dim light, I couldn't tell if I was looking at a full-grown doe or a maturing fawn. They were working toward me so I thought I'd wait and try to pick out the doe but they decided to move back into the brush and time ran out waiting. I enjoy that kind of thing anyway. I have had 23 antlerless deer in front of me this season and two antlered that were moving and too far for a shot. As I said I have two days of the rifle season left and will give it a good try. I am hunting an area I have not hunted before and it's a puzzle. As I stood and watched this evening I thought about how for the first 4 decades I hunted deer it was from a tent camp in the national forest and all still-hunting. I recalled I'd hunt from camp till noon, eat my sandwiches and candy bars, then still-hunt back toward camp. I shot all my bucks but two on the way back. This filled up a day pretty well. I think it would be nice to have a box blind somewhere along a harvested field where the wind was buffered, but I kind of like finding that spot where I think the wind is right, the view is long enough and the trail runs along in the right direction for that time of day. That's what I'm about now as I'm hunting more local on farmland. I call my spots "holes" as they are places I think are overlooked. Who knows? Maybe I just like to think that? Hang in there all!

Brad Eden

Deer hunting has a lot of ups and more downs, at least up here in Maine. I was beat down. Depressed. Despondent. Been hunting with bow and rifle for close to three months. Nothing dead. And by some miracle filled a doe tag this morning at 8:30. First deer with a muzzleloader and a '2 days before the season ends Hail Mary 150 yard poke'. I was as happy and relieved and proud when I walked up on that Doe as I've been with some big bucks. Still buzzed about it. We won't go hungry this winter. 

max2

I have said  it before & I will say it again don't give in and get out when you can. It ain't over till the fat lady sings !

See ~ Brad pulled it off ! Congrats !    

Marc Ret

Pushed all last week (first week of two week firearms season) to finish up the job I was doing as I was to be away all this week hunting a new place (roughly 200,000 acres of state forest) with two friends a couple hours NW of home. I was excited to check out a new area and had spent some time prior to the trip going over maps/Google Earth looking for areas I wanted to check out for deer and possibly grouse at some future point. Drove up Saturday am and had to do some work on the cabin (not mine) to make it useable for us to stay. Thought the damper on the wood stove had busted, pulled the pipe to fix it only to find a chimney full of creosote. Ok, no go on the wood heat but thankfully we had enough fuel for the furnace to have heat for the night but had to drive a good ways on Sunday to get more fuel for the rest of the stay. Hunted some behind the cabin Monday but it's only a bit of state forest there with a good piece of private land that was posted and we didn't have permission to hunt. No deer. I mentioned that evening about checking out some of the areas I thought looked promising and all I got was a grunt from one and no comment from the other friend. Hunted the next day again on the little bit of state ground behind the cabin. No deer. When walking back to camp at the end of hunting hours, the friend I had ridden to the camp with tells me he wasn't going to take his new SUV anywhere to hunt because he was afraid of getting mud in it. I told him, no problem, we'll just take spare boots along to change in to and put the muddy boots in plastic bags. Nope, he just wants to walk the couple hundred yards from the camp door and hunt and that I should have driven my truck if I wanted to hunt away from camp. I reminded him it was his idea to ride up together in his new vehicle and had I known this was how it was going to be, I would have driven myself. No response. Hunted yesterday behind the camp. No deer. Came home early this morning in spite of the plan to be away all week. I need some new hunting friends. 

Birdcountry70

Topdog you have created a sad and depressing thread.  Glad I didn't miss it.   Here's my sobb story.   Many factors have contributed to my worst hunting season ever.  First I took a different position at work which required me to spend 5 one week trips out of state to train for my new job.  Last years drought followed by a new all-time record snowfall in my area last winter killed off the majority of the upland birds and deer in my hunting spots.  Being a Hockey dad( X2) Takes up a lot of my time from early October through March.  I only got out a few times.  One evening I had 9 does and fawns parade past me at 15 yards and I badly wanted to shoot one with my Handgun but I didn't because I had to fly out early the next day and with the temperatures I would have had to butcher it during the night. I thought I would get more chances,  WRONG!    I did draw a late cow elk tag that starts on the 15th and I took my last 2 vacation days the17th &18th and the family gave me the OK to skip hockey.  The catch now is that I have been getting some kind of vertigo recently and I'm more than a bit nervous about going elk hunting alone right now.   AAARGH!!!   Oh yeah we also now have CWD confirmed in the area and I forgot to mention,  this is the first time in 28 years that I have not taken a single upland bird. 😩 

Tim Frazier

This year has been my best ever (1 doe, one button buck and one antlered buck) but I assure you I have had many years of whoa and 2nd guessing.  I also believe in tenacity over talent!  One year I shot a big doe the last 5 minutes of daylight on the last day!  So hang in there, I have a feeling you will persevere!

Brad Eden
8 hours ago, Tim Frazier said:

This year has been my best ever (1 doe, one button buck and one antlered buck) but I assure you I have had many years of whoa and 2nd guessing.  I also believe in tenacity over talent!  One year I shot a big doe the last 5 minutes of daylight on the last day!  So hang in there, I have a feeling you will persevere!

Watch yourself Tim...I shot a piebald mature doe and an 8pt buck with bow last year and added a spike horn with rifle. I thought I was the great white Whitetail hunter, and strutted around as such...but this season taught me a big lesson. Maine deer will humble a person and bring them to their knees. I had to go out to the garage last night to make sure the Doe was hanging and that I hadn't hallucinated the entire thing. 🙃

max2

oh geeze fella's .......

max2

My neighbor just gave me a doe tag so I guess I'm back in the game. One  nice thing about NY Doe tags they are transferable . I think I will hit one of max & I's old grouse coverts with the raffle gun .  Must pack a lunch and i am out of here..... 

Tim Frazier

I’ve had deerless years and what’s frustrating as it’s usually due to my own bad decisions ( like everyone else). Thankfully it’s usually offset by something going right, like a nice fall turkey.  Success can never be taken for granted. 

“Those the Gods destroy they first make prideful “

topdog1961

image.jpeg

Big Al
22 hours ago, Marc Ret said:

I need some new hunting friends. 

Most definitely.

max2
On 12/6/2018 at 3:08 PM, topdog1961 said:

I’m happy for everyone in the deer hunting success threads, but looking at all of them is getting depressing during this worst ever season for me.  So I thought maybe we need a thread for us folks having a frustrating season to commiserate with each other.

There must be something wrong with as I have aged. When younger it would bother me if i wasn't successful. Anymore I could give a rats ass. I just like getting out. I got a doe tag last night but it was for a zone - over so when i got there this morning  snow was coming down and when I exited the truck only to find the snow on the ground was ass deep to a tall indian. So off I go with my stiff legs .  State woods no other hunters so a good time to still hunt.

I got on  set of tracks witch took me through a field of Christmas tree's about 6 ft high on average.  Tough walking but could see where the deer picked up it's pace. Then I saw a good set of fresh tracks that was headed toward me but decided to turn back. That was pretty cool ! 

Then i set for an hour in some thick stuff with great sign and some rubs that sparked my interest for sure. Snow coming down the whole time. With peaks of sun and blue sky. in the 20's with a wind out of the NW.   

Nothing .  ~  I'm good with it.  ~  I think I have another doe tag coming tonight but for my zone. trouble is i don't want to shoot one of the local deer as I have befriended them. i guess i will have to go over the hill if I get one....