topdog1961

Woe is me thread...

polecat

Sitting here next to a gas fireplace with a coffee and  bacon cooking on the stove,19 degrees.Yesterday I  had to get a ingrown nail removed for the second time in a month and something behind my other knee is making it hard to walk. Today is the last day for Pa. rifle and the New Jersey buck season.Several vollies of shots have rang out this morning. I think the bacon and my bone broth drink are ready...  I do think I will mount the toenail on a nice plaque or maybe a shadow box.

Brad Eden
50 minutes ago, polecat said:

Sitting here next to a gas fireplace with a coffee and  bacon cooking on the stove,19 degrees.Yesterday I  had to get a ingrown nail removed for the second time in a month and something behind my other knee is making it hard to walk. Today is the last day for Pa. rifle and the New Jersey buck season.Several vollies of shots have rang out this morning. I think the bacon and my bone broth drink are ready...  I do think I will mount the toenail on a nice plaque or maybe a shadow box.

Sorry to hear of the Health woes..I'm with you brother; frigged up dominant eye, miniscus tear in left knee and have something clicking and hurting like hell in right shoulder. Didn't practice with the bow for the whole season. Figured I had one good pull if a deer showed up.  May need an MRI...anyhow getting old ain't for sissies.

Post photos of the mounted toenail trophy...

Kurt

I filled my tag tonight. Last night I had two come in and there was just no way I could see my sight pin even though there were 20 minutes of shooting time remaining. Tonight I saw seven. The first two were way off and I lost them in the trees, no bother. Five more moved in and one spotted me but I stayed still and it didn't spook the rest. I hunt on the ground, I'm too decrepit to be in trees. My shot was no more than six feet and since I was standing when I made it I found my arrow at about nine. I can remember when I was much younger and the adrenaline made the work so easy. Now I think it must wear me out? I'm tired.  

max2
1 hour ago, Kurt said:

I filled my tag tonight. Last night I had two come in and there was just no way I could see my sight pin even though there were 20 minutes of shooting time remaining. Tonight I saw seven. The first two were way off and I lost them in the trees, no bother. Five more moved in and one spotted me but I stayed still and it didn't spook the rest. I hunt on the ground, I'm too decrepit to be in trees. My shot was no more than six feet and since I was standing when I made it I found my arrow at about nine. I can remember when I was much younger and the adrenaline made the work so easy. Now I think it must wear me out? I'm tired.  

Holy mackerel ! Nice shoot'n ! 6ft ?  I have heard of close shots like that out of a tree . On the ground ~ Good stuff .   

Congrats !

topdog1961

Congrats. The weather changed here in NW Ohio, much colder and the deer are herding up for the winter. That means I'm less likely to go out due to the cold and less likely to see a deer, especially within bow range, but If I do, there will be a bunch of them.  Likely my season is done even though bow is still in. One small deer I shot in October to give away to a nephew as a wedding present isn't much to speak of when normally my son and I take 3-4. At least another nephew gave me the meat from his big buck so there is something in the freezer. Hopefully next year I can get back on track. Right now I'm looking forward to spring fishing. 

Clueless1

Last day for flintlock/bow tomorrow here in PA, at least in most of the state.  I get to go out in the morning but then have to run kids around for the afternoon.  I have 2 archery does in the freezer but my son did not connect this year and I usually count on him for one or two. 

shoot-straight

I'm out right now w the bow. I am Deerless as well. Passed on many animals, shot my target animal a bit low back in nov. I hope We get some snow, love hunting late season in the snow. 

Big Al

Man, gotta love the dedication of this bunch.

max2
13 hours ago, Big Al said:

Man, gotta love the dedication of this bunch.

This is the UJ . These folks don't mess around ! 😉

SelbyLowndes

GA deer season goes out tomorrow.  I tried Tuesday but the woods were still too wet and I got stuck, again.  Its 66 degrees today and I think I'm done.  No deer this year...SelbyLowndes

Rafterboy

I'm out this weekend to try and get one for a friend of mine who doesn't hunt much, so we'll see how that goes. Summer hunting is easy, if a little boring. Sit, glass, repeat. Shoot deer, race flies to carcass, loose race, gut deer and GTFO before the heat turns the meat.

I shot one on the 28th, but it was only a Sika yearling, so the freezer is empty again. THose little deer are super tasty, but don't last long.

There is no season for deer here, so if anyone can make the trek I'd be happy to take you out. Getting the meat home is your problem.....