tarheel5

Recommend GPS collar

tarheel5

I have a new pup on the way and wanted to solicit some expertise from the UJ group on gps collar. Will only need a single dog unit. As always appreciate the group and all their knowledge.

Jack

gunsrus

Alpha 

terrym

The alpha came out after I bought an Astro. Would definitely buy an alpha today. 

john mcg

Alpha---to me--its the perfect tool for the job.

That being two jobs.

GPS location for dog and even another human with a unit and the ability to correct and or beep or vibrate a signal to your dog.

Very versatile.

It is also a lot of fun to be able to download the hunt onto either Google Earth or the Garmin Basecamp software.

You can then mark on the map where you find birds and other things of note.

Curt

I didn't buy the Alpha because I didn't like the touch screen feature, I bought the Astro 430 instead.  I used an Astro 220 system for 5-6 years prior and thought it would be similar.  In my opinion the screen on the Astro 430 is to dark for detailed viewing unless you jack up the back light which results in increased battery usage.  The other thing I don't like is the hunt maps feature, these things are not designed for 70 year old eyeballs and I have 20/20 vision.

My advice to you is to go somewhere that sells Garmin products and spend a little hands on time with these things before laying out your money.  One of them will probably be to your liking.

Speaks

I have been debating the same thing for my new pup. The alpha in many ways seems like a clear choice since you get GPS and training in one unit. On the other hand most feedback I hear is that the training portion is not its strong suit so I have a dogtra T&B that I will be running either way. Conceptually I feel like the astro would be easier to use for the GPS function since you get the buttons and what not. On the other hand once the dog gets older correction might almost never be needed making the alpha a perfect stand alone choice. I dont think I ever pressed the button on my Britt in the field after he turned about 6, he always had it on but I dont think I ever used it. 

So I suppose my advice is about as clear as mud. The 550 pro plus has some appeal as well for its simplicity but I am leaning toward one of the other two. 

EPbrace

I started with the Astro 220, then sold it and bought the 320, sold that and have been running the Alpha for about 3 or 4 years now. I've been really happy with it as far as the tracking goes. I don't rely on it for the training feature unless it's on a broke dog then no big deal. Young dogs get the T5 plus my tritronics g3. Training button navigation is too delayed IMO, so my pro 100 is reserved for that. I do like the mini collars for the smaller dogs. I have a 38lb female pointer and it's fits perfect especially with two other collars on her. Hope that helps.

Two Barrels

I have the Astro 430.  I already had a Dogtra 2500 T&B.  My hunting partner has the Alpha.  I did not like the touchscreen, especially with gloves.  Unless you have a horse size canine or run out west and need 9 miles of range, the T5 Mini collar is the way to go.

tut

I have a 320.  My buddy has an Alpha.  Pro's on the 320 is the buttons versus the touchscreen on the Alpha, which at times gives him fits (wearing gloves for example).  Ability to add corrections for the Alpha is a huge plus, but the negative is it takes a few seconds to navigate to the screen and that touchscreen needs to be locked or just bumping the unit can cause the correction level to change resulting in applying too little or too much correction.   I don't run my dog much with the 320, because I run her with a G3 unit with an add on LVT beeper most of the time and Sophie doesn't range that far (200 yards max).  That said, on pheasants I've started running her with the 320 and a point only beeper.  FWIW, I wish the new Pro 550 Plus had a way to mark the truck, as I'd probably buy that and ditch everything else.  Would be nice to have one collar on the dog and do everything I need.  I don't think there is a perfect solution out there right now.  I think the Alpha with buttons would be the bees knees, but for some reason they don't want to do that.  

WMassGriff

Run an Alpha and as others have mentioned the training/correction feature isn't it's strong suit. I do use the tracking feature for the truck and find it handy as long as you pair it with a compass to get your bearing (thats how I use my other GPS's as I dislike staring at a screen walking through the woods).

I do use a Garmin e-collar setup for training and if starting over would buy the 550 Plus and pair it up with one of my other GPS's. Might do it anyway!

WPG Gizmo

Not a big fan of the all in one collars I prefer a separate Ecollar and GPS right now I am running a Dogtra T&B 2002 and a Astro 220.  I really wish that Dogtra would go back to putting the beeper unit up high and not under the neck down low the sound is to muffled and I can not hear it with my 2002 the beeper is up high and I have no problem with it. 

Touch screens are the way of the future pretty soon I expect that you will be using your phone paired to a collar just download the App.  That said I would not want a Alpha just one more screen that would get damaged out in the woods.

Speaks
On 12/15/2018 at 7:45 AM, WPG Gizmo said:

Touch screens are the way of the future pretty soon I expect that you will be using your phone paired to a collar just download the App.  That said I would not want a Alpha just one more screen that would get damaged out in the woods.

Dogtra pathfinder does this already. Tracking and correction through your phone. Have not tried it myself but sounds interesting.