Sign in to follow this  
BlacknTan

Will your dog work birds in traps?

BlacknTan

Spring traps, I mean??

I've always worked pups on planted birds in launchers before. This pup doesn't take to them. She'll point quail dizzied and thrown into cover, but won't work them in traps. She does not appear to be startled by the trap springing. Finally got strong flying birds, though.... 

She's only 17 months. I've experienced dogs that won't point pigeons in traps, but not quail. Anyone experience something similar?

Timn

No I start all my pups with launchers.

VizslavsBird

I've never used launches but wonder if the ones you are using could have a dog detectable odor stronger than the birds?

Rick Hall

Might want to try baby socks:

IMG_0626.jpg.9e183c7782c6cf1638db5891cf92e376.jpgIMG_0629.jpg.8153478baea4c6bbe531306159f768c8.jpg

Wish I could give complete credit where due but learned this great trick from a fellow here on UJ who's either moved on or changed his user name.  Several such "launchers" fit handily into a bird bag pocket and are readily re-pocketed as you work them, saving a lot of both training time and storage space.

forestdump

What does she do if she doesn’t point them? Get excited and bust right in? Walk right up to them?

if a dog doesn’t point birds in launchers I launch the birds immediately until they respect that the bird scent they are getting equals bird in the air unless they point it. 

BlacknTan

She doesn't acknowledge the trap. I've seen this behavior before when a dog gets tired of working pigeons.

Dizzy the bird and throw it in the long grass, and everything is good...

I guess GBE didn't write "Troubles with Birddogs" for nuthin'..

forestdump
9 hours ago, BlacknTan said:

She doesn't acknowledge the trap. I've seen this behavior before when a dog gets tired of working pigeons.

Dizzy the bird and throw it in the long grass, and everything is good...

I guess GBE didn't write "Troubles with Birddogs" for nuthin'..

Is she acknowledging the bird in the trap? Does she just run right by it or does she smell it then avoid the whole situation?

Scott Berg

I hesitate to speculate having not seen this with my own eyes but I am guessing she knows its a set-up and is avoiding the situation. It's the equivalent of blinking a back.

SRB

Quig

Once my dogs get into wild birds, they don’t seem to acknowledge pigeons 

Craig Doherty
On 12/9/2018 at 4:39 PM, BlacknTan said:

Spring traps, I mean??

I've always worked pups on planted birds in launchers before. This pup doesn't take to them. She'll point quail dizzied and thrown into cover, but won't work them in traps. She does not appear to be startled by the trap springing. Finally got strong flying birds, though.... 

She's only 17 months. I've experienced dogs that won't point pigeons in traps, but not quail. Anyone experience something similar?

Get some feral pigeons and shoot a couple for the dog -- that should change her attitude towards the launchers.

Urban_Redneck
On 1/3/2019 at 8:58 AM, Craig Doherty said:

Get some feral pigeons and shoot a couple for the dog -- that should change her attitude towards the launchers.

👍

Dogs can definitely go stale on a set up they've been corrected around a whole lot. 

You might try working steady to flush with the dog, shooting the bird when he stays put.

DonT
On 1/3/2019 at 8:58 AM, Craig Doherty said:

I'll add a twist you can try.  Spread out a few launchers and hunt the field with a steady dog and your pup.  Shoot and retrieve over the steady dog and praise him up while ignoring the pup.  Ideally the pup would be ahead and have just run by the launcher when the steady dog goes to work.  Or if you must, the steady dog is on point and as soon as the puppy goes by ignoring the bird you shoot over the steady dog.   Hard to have fun if your not in the game.  

Don fischer

Whatever the problem is, you created it yourself. Just like those that have a dog that won't point pigeons, they created the problem themselves. The trap's have nothing to do with anything unless you let the pup get hit by one opening! Pup's haven't a clue what anything smells like until they have experienced it!

You put a pigeon in a trap and make it act like a wild bird and the problem never show's up! You have a dog that sour's on a pigeon and you soured the dog. To much enforced training and no learning! What do you expect from the pup? Pup does something you don;t like and God forbid you pop the bird and go on. Oh on, go correct the pup so it knows what you expect. You in the end may very well teach the pup to avoid the pigeon, bad thing's happen with them! Think about it!

Had a guy bring me a nice female GSP years ago. It was given to him by a game bird preserve. They told him he'd never get the dog to point, to much prey drive. Took about ten minutes and the dog was pointing. He came by after the season and said she was his best dog! Pay attention to what your training!