Sign in to follow this  
MAArcher

Garmin ecollar issue/defects?

MAArcher

I bought a Garmin Upland Delta XC because I heard that the Delta's were good training collars and I needed a bark collar and the Delta had that function to.  So I found a deal on eBay and bought one.  It seemed to zap inconsistently, some times no response from the dog, some times he'd yelp.  So I thought I didn't have the collar tight enough.  I tightened the collar and switched to long prongs for better contact.  Slightly improved results.  I could get a response at a 3 or 4 setting, and a yelp at 6.  Battery life was horrible on the collar.  I always test the collar on myself first and it never failed to fire but if I zapped multiple times in quick succession, it did feel like the zap was weaker each time.  Figured I got an eBay lemon but the wife through away the box so I couldn't return it.  I bought another one from Cabela's.  This one seemed more consistent and reliable, but way under powered.  Even at the highest setting of 16, the dog would respond but not yelp, certainly didn't seem like I could use it to deter him from chasing a deer or whatever.  Bark collar function didn't work on either of them, except the first collar did ramp up the one time I used the mode that automatically increases stim if the dog keeps barking; but I don't dare use that mode again, at least not until the dogs older (the dog barked at the high stim, which causes another shock at higher level, which caused another bark, round and round, it was awful).

Anyone else have issues with Garmin collars?  I had a TriTronics Upland G3 that worked well (pre Garmin take over).  Unfortunately I ran it over with my truck otherwise I'd still be using it.  I have an Alpha that seems to have reliable, consistent zaps, but not much range, the dog yelps at "3 high" on that device.  I'd make due with just that but I just hate having such a huge collar hanging off the dog all day.

Dave Quindt

Yes, I’m having similar issues with my Delta. About ready to trash it and move on. Very inconsistent; it’s like a different collar every time I turn it on. 

GraceinVA

This kind of sucks. Curious to hear what others have to say. I was literally about 10 minutes away from ordering the Delta Upland XC - now yall have me second guessing it...

Speaks

Delta is the worst collar I have owned. Swapped out for a dogtra. Keep the delta around for my wife to use on her dog that only ever needs a beep. Beep works, stim is super inconsistant. 

Speaks
On 12/14/2018 at 9:45 AM, GraceinVA said:

This kind of sucks. Curious to hear what others have to say. I was literally about 10 minutes away from ordering the Delta Upland XC - now yall have me second guessing it...

I would pick another. Heard good things on some other garmin stuff, lots of bad reviews on this one though.

GraceinVA

Ended up with the sport dog 825 through LCS. I picked this one because I can add the beeper at a later date. 

terrym

Dogtra 2500 T&B or 2502 if you run 2 dogs. Great unit. 

Dave Quindt
On 12/23/2018 at 8:32 PM, terrym said:

Dogtra 2500 T&B or 2502 if you run 2 dogs. Great unit. 

Unfortunately neither of those models replaces the Delta, with the small collar size, built-in bark collar and access to both a tone and vibrate option. I have a Garmin Pro 100 for field work; was looking for something smaller for around the house  

Thanks,

Dave

Ted Moore

I use the Dogtra surestim 7000 or the Dogtra ARC around the house. The ARC collars are very small and the surestim is smaller as well. Those don't have tone or bark collars, but have the vibrate function which I use 99% of the time. For the field I use the 2000 or 2002 or the Alpha. The Dogtras have been the best upland equipment I have ever bought (my Dogtra 2000 is probably around 16 years old and all I have ever done is replace the batteries and my 2002 is 10-12 years old).