Sign in to follow this  
sprocket

AKC Spaniel Hunt Test in the Northeast

sprocket

Rumor has it that the AKC is opening up the Upland tests for NSDTR's in 2019 - This I"m guessing is the Spaniel test, not the pointing test.  A quick search on Entry Express indicates that there aren't a lot of test listed compared to retriever tests...

I'm wondering if anyone up the the Northeast runs these tests?  I'm also interested in HRC tests as well.

Thanks

Hal Standish
3 hours ago, sprocket said:

Rumor has it that the AKC is opening up the Upland tests for NSDTR's in 2019 - This I"m guessing is the Spaniel test, not the pointing test.  A quick search on Entry Express indicates that there aren't a lot of test listed compared to retriever tests...

I'm wondering if anyone up the the Northeast runs these tests?  I'm also interested in HRC tests as well.

Thanks

Being that we are in December i doubt there would be much info concerning Test activities in 2019. Maybe a few done southeast or south west California usually has a couple of test in Jan and Feb.  Either at Entry express or AKC.org I have not check lately.

Now what is NSDTR????

Cass
1 minute ago, Hal Standish said:

Now what is NSDTR????

Duck toller

MoSpaniels

During a conversation with Tom Meyer (AKC Rep) last summer he indicated that the Toller inclusion to the flushing Hunt Test was imminent. They had either to only provide their breed hunting style description or their exhibition to show that the dogs performed to the description and could complete the elements of the flushing tests.

You might keep an eye on HuntSecretary ( .net I thinks), as well. A lot of clubs are taking advantage of the benefits they offer.

Hal Standish

Thanks Cass 

Oh good another entry dog for the program! 

Hal Standish
16 hours ago, sprocket said:

Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever

a.k.a. Little River Duck Dog

I got that thanks! I have work with 6 Tollers over the years. Their talent base lends them toward HRC retriever tests more than the Spaniel upland test.  But what ever peeps will spend time and tide and just about anything.

sprocket

Last year was AKC JH test - this year will be training for SH and doing HRC tests for fun and profit.  I made the mistake of plotting out last years's test on the calendar trying to plan this year.

Hal Standish

From AKC.org as of 12/14/18

AKC Recognized Breeds For the Spaniel and Flushing Hunt Test

• Airedale Terriers
  • American Water Spaniels
  • Boykin Spaniels
  • Chesapeake Bay Retrievers (July 1, 2015)
  • Clumber Spaniels
  • Cocker Spaniels
  • Curly-Coated Retrievers
  • English Cocker Spaniels
  • English Springer Spaniels
  • Field Spaniels
  • Flat-Coated Retrievers
  • Golden Retrievers
  • Irish Water Spaniels
  • Labrador Retrievers
  • Sussex Spaniels
  • Poodles – Standard and Miniature (effective with the Spaniel HT held in conjunction with the Poodle National Specialty to be held April 2017)
  • Welsh Springer Spaniels
  • Dogs of these breeds recorded with the Purebred Alternative Listing Program/Indefinite Listing Privilege (PAL/ILP) or dogs with Conditional registration are eligible to participate.
  • Spayed and neutered dogs are eligible to participate.
  • Bitches in season are not eligible to participate, nor are they allowed on the grounds.
  • Dogs with Limited Registration are eligible to participate.
  • I have no idea of any up coming changes to the list, maybe so maybe no. As a side note, I wonder why Beagles and the other hound breeds and any pointing dog that does not point should be kept from joining in on the fun!

sprocket

Hal, discussion somewhere else indicated the Toller folks need to write the criteria for the judges as a first step.  Even in heavy dog circles a lot of folks don't know what a toller is...

Thanks for posting

Hal Standish

https://www.akc.org/sports/spaniels/hunting-tests/hunting-style/

This link will lead you to what is expected by the AKC. Breed Hunting style description. Scroll down and click on the breeds listed. You will notice there is a broad style for each breed listed.

On 12/14/2018 at 2:34 PM, sprocket said:

Hal, discussion somewhere else indicated the Toller folks need to write the criteria for the judges as a first step.  Even in heavy dog circles a lot of folks don't know what a toller is...

Thanks for posting

Cass

I hunt with a toller a fair amount and I do think seeing them in a flushing test would be difficult to judge and agree that they're better suited for HRC.  But I think that about most of the off breeds they allow in the spaniel tests.  I do not mean to sound elitist or arrogant in the least but they simply don't compare to a spaniel when it comes to flushing upland birds.  They can certainly do it but style is not comparable.  

Grifish

Damned spanielist! :)

Cass
38 minutes ago, Grifish said:

Damned spanielist! :)

Lol it is what it is.  I do really like rollers.  Great retrievers, beautiful dogs and the one i hunt with is the nicest mannered dog ever in the house.  I would not be against owning one in the least.  But i would not expect it to upland hunt like my cocker.  They haven't been bred for hundreds of years for that specific purpose, that's all. 

Hal Standish
On 12/26/2018 at 11:02 AM, Cass said:

.  I do not mean to sound elitist or arrogant in the least but they simply don't compare to a spaniel when it comes to flushing upland birds.  They can certainly do it but style is not comparable.  

Cass you certainly do not sound elitist or arrogant.  Maybe the  mechanics of some sort of flush is there in the dogs you and I and others have seen. However,  just like the Airedale, Golden,Lab Curly coat, Flat Coat and any other other show bred breeds that are now allowed to enter the "Spaniel Hunt Test"

They maybe called a Flushing dog . But they truly lack the style and class and animation to be called a Flushing Breed.