Sign in to follow this  
blanked

Used toyota corolla reliability?

blanked

Had 2 coworkers buy used corollas and they had some problems.  Nothing major but cant remeber what they were about since i havent been able to follow up on it    Need to buy my daughter a car and i always thought toyotas would be a good choice.  Any feedback on used corolla reliability

rideold

I had an older one (90's) that was bomb proof.   I sold it with 250k on the clock.  I've heard that newer ones are less well put together but I guess it all depends on what you are wanting.  Generally Toyota's are a good bet though.  My Toyota mechanic always says that it's hard to beat an older 4Runner.

Gunguy

My grandma had a 98 for years. It was a great car. Never needed anything other than oil changes. This has pretty much been my experience with all Toyota's.  I would not hesitate to buy a Corolla. 

Big Pine

We had a Camry in the family for years. My mom bought it used as a work vehicle, and gave it to my sister when she moved to Minnesota with her fiancée. Several years and a lot of miles went by before the car got totalled while parked on the street in front of her house. She was really upset about it, and when I asked her about the mileage, she nearly cried—the odometer has just rolled over 375,000, and she wanted to hit 400k.

I don’t know much about Corollas, but I’d probably buy one. 

Tim Frazier

My 2008 Vibe is all Corolla running gear.  178,000 miles and I'd leave for the west coast tomorrow in it without blinking.  I'd like something newer, and can afford it, I just can't do it for some reason.

Speaks

My experience is that not only are Toyota's mechanically reliable but little things like interior items seem to stay together way longer than other vehicles I have owned. Had some people riding in my Tundra the other day and they started saying they were shocked that a vehicle this new didnt have USB or blue tooth. I explained its a ten year old truck with 150k and they were shocked, they figured 2-3 years old tops. 

Flush
19 hours ago, blanked said:

Had 2 coworkers buy used corollas and they had some problems.  Nothing major but cant remeber what they were about since i havent been able to follow up on it    Need to buy my daughter a car and i always thought toyotas would be a good choice.  Any feedback on used corolla reliability

It's certainly possible you could buy a Corolla and something could fail, but there is no other car in that class that has a better record and reputation of reliability. 

Dogwood
4 hours ago, Flush said:

It's certainly possible you could buy a Corolla and something could fail, but there is no other car in that class that has a better record and reputation of reliability. 

Honda Civic IME

E.Young

I'm a die hard Toyota fan and had many last well over 200-250k with nothing but routine maintenance (oil changes, tires). Worst one I had, bought a beater 2005 Corolla in 2015 for $2500 @ 210k. We put a hard 30k on it in a year and sold it to a friend of a friend for $1700 with a transmission that was starting to slip. Buyer knew it and was happy to get to it for the price he did, replaced the transmission for cheap and his son drives it still. 

topdog1961

We've had two. The 06 I bought in 2015 with only 24k on it. I wanted it for a work car but wasn't happy with it. It was a base model and didn't have cruise and I drive 125 round trip. I could live with that but the seals seemed to small for the rear doors, pulled away but didn't drop, but made for wind noise. Also it had a not very communicative suspension or steering. In short, it wasn't a car I wanted to spend 2.5 hours a day in. When my daughter turned 16 I let her use it and got me another. We put 70k on it and it was a perfect car for her to drive locally, rock solid dependable. 

But last May a kid turned left in front of her and my son and they hit a Silverado at 55 mph. My son had moderate injuries that he recovered from but she had her legs shattered, back broken in two places, other issues we are still dealing with. The impact was so severe that her sweatshirt was fused to her seatbelt. The life flight captain said she had never seen that and the person survive. Everything in the car disintegrated even if it wasn't in the crumple zone. By all rights they should not have survived. So for a small car I rate it safe on that account. 

Prior to that a coworker offered me his daughters 06 Corolla S with 135k for a can't refuse price. The S model drives totally different, much better. I was fine driving it to work, it was even much quieter. I gave it to her to replace her car and used the insurance to buy me a newer Mazda 3. We've put 20k miles on the 06 trouble free and it drives like new. I'd have no concerns if she left for a cross county drive today. 

They corollas are as dependable as you can get. There is one known issue with an electronic module that some people experience. They do have a timing chain that will need replaced about every 100k, so factor that into the price. U can get the kits complete with new belt and water pump for about $100. Pay an experienced shade tree mechanics, you'll save a bundle over the dealer. Neither of mine needed it. If cared for, I'm confident of 300k miles from one, if you stay away from Silverados. 

image.jpeg

ryanr
On 12/13/2018 at 6:13 PM, blanked said:

GREAT CAR! have a 2006 Toyota Matrix (same engine and tranny as the Corolla). I bought it used in 2014 with 68,000 miles and it now has just OVER 300,000 miles on it.  It is my daily commuter (and for the last 2 years also my hunting and training vehicle.) I commute 120 miles round trip 5 days a week. I keep up with the oil changes and have had no major problems. I use synthetic oil. At 300,000 miles I changed the (original) serpentine belt and put in a new alternator. That's it.