PointingMutt

Ice Fishing Shelters

PointingMutt

I’m looking at an insulated hub shelter. Any thoughts on the Eskimo OUTBREAK 450i vs the Clam Refuge. I like the full door on the Eskimo, not sure on durability vs Clam.

TimJ

When it comes to shelters I don't believe that Eskimo is much behind Clam, if at all. My brother has a 6 or 8 year old quickfish 3 that has held up well...even after taking a rolling tour of a lake when it wasn't properly anchored down.

I have a couple Clam products and they are good too. I don't see a big difference between the brands when comparing similar price points.

The clam is big and the eskimo is even bigger. I'd get the one that meets your needs the best. The door looks neat but there is something to be said for having the zipper up off of the ice and snow. I haven't seen one in person yet so maybe they work fine, I know that eskimo does use top notch zippers.

Tim

sloth5202

I just bought the Eskimo Fatfish 949i yesterday.  My brother in law has one and is really happy with it.  

Separate question but somewhat related.... Do you guys bring your dogs?  If so, what do you do to keep them off the ice and warm?

Thunder Bay

I agree with the previous reply re: not much difference between ice shanty companies (Eskimo, Clam, Otter, Frabill, etc.).  Similar to Ford, GM, Chrysler, etc.  but huge difference between models.  If you can, go to a place that you can physically compare each model.  Key features that I like include thermal insulation, two doors, comfortable seats, rugged/oversized zippers, and easy access windows.

Remo
9 hours ago, sloth5202 said:

I just bought the Eskimo Fatfish 949i yesterday.  My brother in law has one and is really happy with it.  

Separate question but somewhat related.... Do you guys bring your dogs?  If so, what do you do to keep them off the ice and warm?

Dogs always come along. I have a clam flip-over and took the extra seat out. They have room to curl up on a quilt. But most of the time they are outside. I fish off by myself so no bother.

SODAKer

I've never ice fished, when u guys fish, how do you know where to set up; sonar, experience, etc? 

Thanks

OldSarge
35 minutes ago, SODAKer said:

I've never ice fished, when u guys fish, how do you know where to set up; sonar, experience, etc? 

Thanks

Sometimes it’s experience by going back to places I’ve been before. Sometimes I mark a spot on gps while soft water fishing and then go back on hard water. Sometimes if I am scouting I will drill a series of holes and check for depth and activity with my sonar and underwater camera. 

sloth5202
10 hours ago, SODAKer said:

Thanks

Understanding structure using existing maps is helpful.  I also fish pretty light so I can move from hole to hole quickly.  I never stick in a hole too long.

SODAKer

Thanks guys for yge info. Sounds like it could be fun. 

dogrunner

I move if no bite happens in like 20 minuets,  not far but enough that other fish might see the bait. Usually  soon as you drop a line a bite happens pretty quick if there in the area.  Or just look for the crowd and fish the edges. 😉

Remo
23 hours ago, SODAKer said:

Thanks

Vexilar make a small flashlight sized unit for measuring depth before you drill a hole. That company sells refurbished gear very reasonable. Once the hole is in I use an FL-18 flasher. Had it since they first came out and has been trouble free. I can't fish without it.

Spin
On 12/17/2018 at 8:04 AM, sloth5202 said:

Honestly I'd leave them at home.  In this area and particularly on the Winnebago chain you see dogs roaming around all to frequently and posters of lost dogs that wandered off while out on the ice with their owners all the time. Also confined shelters, hooks and dogs can be a bad mix.

sloth5202
21 minutes ago, Spin said:

Honestly I'd leave them at home.  In this area and particularly on the Winnebago chain you see dogs roaming around all to frequently and posters of lost dogs that wandered off while out on the ice with their owners all the time. Also confined shelters, hooks and dogs can be a bad mix.

I've been bringing the dogs with me forever and never had an issue like that and I always have control of my dog.   Just looking for a good solution to give him a break from sitting on the ice.  

Spin

18 minutes ago, sloth5202 said:

I've been bringing the dogs with me forever and never had an issue like that and I always have control of my dog.  Just looking for a good solution to give him a break from sitting on the ice.  

Then weight or otherwise anchor down a 3/4 length closed cell foam camping pad (bed roll) The thicker the better. Watch out if the dog's loose and you've just hauled out a fish on a tipup. You're occupied, the dogs excited and dancing around and a treble hook is lying on the ice waiting to get stepped on by a dog's foot. Over the years I've stepped on a few myself.

Okhotnik
On 12/18/2018 at 10:10 PM, Remo said:

Vexilar make a small flashlight sized unit for measuring depth before you drill a hole. That company sells refurbished gear very reasonable. Once the hole is in I use an FL-18 flasher. Had it since they first came out and has been trouble free. I can't fish without it.

Is an underwater camera worth purchasing too?