MUSTANGER7

ANY BODY STILL USING TIPUPS FOR ICE FISHING??

MUSTANGER7

When I was a kid growing up near West Point, NY where my dad was stationed, we used to do a lot of ice fishing in the area lakes, mostly for pickeral and yellow perch. Just loved it, we'd haul all our stuff out on sleds, normally we'd set up on a point or island, put the tipups out then build a fire to cook hamburgers etc. My cousin and I would wear skates to race each other out to the tip ups while our dads sat around the warm fire watching. Great memories glad I had the opportunity to do that, haven't done it in 60 years, ice doesn't get thick enough here. Only pictures are in my mine.

sloth5202

Every time I'm out I hook up a tip-up while I jig with my own pole.  Generally with a big sucker in case a big pike comes trolling through the area.

aje4

Early ice for walleye we use tip ups....once the ice gets good we primarily jig and “run and gun” on wheelers drilling hundreds of holes until we find the fish....

WPG Gizmo

Always run tip ups when out on the ice... I still have Wooden tip ups with red wool flags that my Grandfather used and they still work just fine

UplandHntr

We use Beaver Dam tipups almost always. Sometimes we use the finicky fish factories if the bite is slow. Almost always someone jigging inside the shack too. Sure has been a wierd start to winter again. 

rudyc

A couple of years ago I made some "springy-thingys" to use while I jig in another hole. Turns out they work pretty well, have caught, perch, walleyes, white bass and burbot on them. With the steel banding, they are almost always moving the bait. Still working on one to use for pike. And yes, I have to re-coat my deck!!@@

image000002.jpg

image000005.jpg

image000008.jpg

OldSarge

I use tip ups, a jig rod, and this gadget I made from pvc pipe and a coat hanger. It holds the rod and sets the hook when the trigger wire slips out of the eyelet. I usually put a live minnow on that rig so it jigs itself. We can run three lines each. 

B1CF0509-28BC-4520-9393-A30C193CF675.jpeg

dogrunner

I don't but plenty of guys fishing for pike or walleye do, there is even a 2 week party called Tip up town on Houghton lake.  Fishing tournament, beer tent lots of craziness, vehicles going through the ice, snowmobiles everywhere.   This year will probably not be very good, to warm and not much snow so far. 

Dave Erickson

We've gotten some big pike in the Mississippi River backwaters on traditional tip-ups. Bass, too.

Lately rather than putting out tip-ups and jigging the 3rd line I put out a couple tip-downs which are jig rods set to balance horizontally, and when a perch or crappie takes the minnow the tip goes down with minimal resistance and you pull up the fish. 

Big Pine

Sure do. My tip-ups belonged to my grandfather, and I still use them once in a while when I make it back to Vilas and Forest County, Wisconsin. We only target walleyes, but pike are usually in the mix, too. I like to use smaller sucker minnows on an orange octopus hook. 

A7D4E90E-3EDB-4389-AA83-508569815681.jpeg

94F1589B-6201-4767-A5EC-DAAA050F9314.jpeg

57F21306-09ED-4B26-9FE3-45AA1226AA12.jpeg

5037DC00-230C-4313-AFA6-06A361F4EEBE.jpeg

Dave Quindt
On 12/26/2018 at 6:14 PM, UplandHntr said:

We use Beaver Dam tipups almost always. Sometimes we use the finicky fish factories if the bite is slow. Almost always someone jigging inside the shack too. Sure has been a wierd start to winter again. 

It's been 20 years since I've ice fished but back in the day the Beaver Dams were the gold standard of tip-ups.

sprocket

Jack Traps up in Maine make nice stuff too