bwjohn

On X Hunting App/Cards

bwjohn

Anyone use the hunting App/Cards?  

google maps/earth have let me down a few times this year with out dated photos.

I am curious as to what others are using for recon.  thanks for any info,

brandon 

versdog

Love the phone app. Works great. I would like to have the sd card also for remote areas. It is fantastic for plat books which include public hunting.

UplandHntr

Ive used OnX for several years and like it overall. It appears to be very accurate.

I don't care for a couple of the shading colors/layers as its very difficult to see in the sun. I guess there's only so many shades to use.

I admit that I don't use it anywhere near its capabilities and tend to pick it back up 2 weeks before my first trip which creates frustration. That's my fault

Jim Vander

I have used the app and card though only the app last cpl of years. Its a great tool but has a  learning curve. And don't forget to save the maps you need you won't like it on a crappy cell connection. 

blanked

I used the apps for several years.  As mentioned have to save specific maps beforehand if leaving cell range.  That became a deal breaker for me.  Now have the chip

Dave Quindt
On 12/28/2018 at 8:38 PM, bwjohn said:

Anyone use the hunting App/Cards?  

google maps/earth have let me down a few times this year with out dated photos.

I am curious as to what others are using for recon.  thanks for any info,

brandon 

I wouldn't recommend buying On X if you thing you are necessarily going to get newer photos than Google Maps. It is not, nor does it bill itself as, an satellite photo service.

I use it, I like it, but it's clearly designed around big game hunting with bird hunting as an afterthought.  They make a big deal about the fact that you can download maps locally to your phone.  Great if you are going into a drainage for elk for 5 days; kinda a pain when you are bird hunting across a 3 county area for 5 days.  They don't make it easy to just download an entire county; you've got to do it chunk by chunk to get sufficient resolution.

There are other solutions I found myself using more and more.  Many states have their own land map apps now and often you can download the entire map locally onto you phone.  No pics but they work great as they don't require cell service.  The new app by Northwind Enterprises is nice too; all local to your phone as well.  I seemed to use a combination of these products more than my OnX this year.

I like OnX but they bill themselves as the only solution out there with features that no one else can match or exceed.  I've found that's not the case, and often the free apps provided by the states are as good if not better for my use.

JMO,

Dave

grouse28

I used an app named Montana Hunting Access by Mountain Works Apps.

Obviously state specific, did not need cell coverage.

Remarkably accurate and inexpensive

Big Pine

I had an elite membership to OnX, and have used it in four states this year while hunting birds. It’s nice for identifying property lines, but the satellite imagery is okay at best. Google Earth has actually been updated more recently in some areas that I hunt. Also, the timber sales layer is only for federal land, so you can’t identify aspen age class on state, county, etc.

If I was out west, I think I’d get OnX. It was great in New Mexico.  For grouse and woodcock hunting, though, I think Northwind Scout and Hunt is better.

bwjohn

I was hoping for more up to date satellite photos, but I assume that everyone, public anyway, has access to the same photos and satellites.  

Maybe there is a premium to pay for more up to date photos, but again, I assume that Google would have the resources to pay for the most up to date photos.  

I will check out the Northwind Scout and Hunt apps, thanks for the references.

best regards, brandon

bwjohn

big pine, 

2 things:

I read you post wrong and thought you were woodcock hunting in New Mexico, i was really puzzled by that, :)).

Can you provide a link to the hunt app, the only one that I could get up quickly was the OnX?

best regards, brandon

Chukarman

My hunting partner and I both use OnX on iPads. Carry an iPad bracket in the truck. Works well, and I can download maps for times that I am out ot cellrange (which is often). App is timely and accurate.

Big Pine

Sure thing. Here’s a link to the Scout-N-Hunt site, which is run by UJ ad sponsor Northwind Enterprises: https://www.scout-n-hunt.com/mobile-grouse-map

Like I said, OnX is great for hunting out west—indispensable, in my opinion. For identifying grouse and woodcock habitat, I find the Scout and Hunt maps to be much easier. I have a couple of their printed map books, too, and like them as well. 

airmedic1

I use the esri Explorer for ARC GPS APP and and download the Nebraska CRP MAP Hunting Atlas into the program. I think it works well.  I didn't hunt Kansas WIHA this year but moved their hunting atlas in to the program last year but I just checked and it was there.   Not sure if it would work for other states.

AM