RookieEP

Domestic Transmission Reliability

RookieEP

For all you Chevy GM Dodge and Ford SUVs and Truck owners been with transmission reliability experience?   Newer 2 different neighbor suburbans and 1 silverado transmission blown all around 70-80,000 miles.  Buddy 08 Ram and brothers 2010 F250 trans blown as well each below 100,000 miles. Crazy thing none of these people TOW anything!  My wifes company uses Chevy trucks and lots of reports of transmission replacements below 100000.  Usually in that 70-80000 range right after warranty is void.  Funny thing my neighbor with the silverado if the dealer puts in the new transmission Chevy will warranty the new trans for a 100,000 miles.. what a crock.  

salmontogue

I cannot speak for GM not having owned any for a very long time.  I have had Ram trucks and Ford SUVs and trucks for decades and none have required transmission work of any type other than fluid and filter changes as per manufacturer recommendations.  The trucks did a lot of towing over 10k pounds without a hiccup.  Most were diesels and all, including SUVs, were used past a quarter of a million miles. 

Perk

Dakota Dogman

Been fighting Chevy transmissions for ever. Newest rig I own is a 2001 Blazer. Just replaced the tranny in it... But has 175k on it. 

Honestly getting tired of it.

God bless,

Rockdoc

My 2005 Dodge Caravan just turned 257,000 miles and still has the original transmission (knock on wood!). Other Dodge Caravan's I've owned were lucky to get past 150,000 miles.

Steve

terrym

I think if you were to ask, and folks were honest about it they would admit to never servicing trannys. I change the oil in them annually and have never had a failure. My buddy drives a Tundra which has been such a lemon we don’t allow him to drive on our moose hunts which take us so deep into the bush we can’t afford to depend on questionable vehicles. My point is they can all fail, best you can do is maintain them and not overload their capacity. 

Curt

I've never had a transmission go bad in any vehicle I've personally owned, and at 71 I've owned a bunch of them.  My current truck, 2011 F-350, crew cab diesel (6.7L) just turned over 93,000 miles, of which at least 60% has been towing.  No issues so far with this one.

My wife bought a new Buick Park Avenue back around 1988 and the tranny in that piece of junk went out between 11,000 - 12,000 miles while she was driving around town (35mph).

I always disliked GM products and that episode didn't change my opinion of them but it took her a couple more turkeys before she got it figured out.

bkelble

I have had the misfortune to spend a bunch of time at the transmission shop lately.  I bought a 2001 Ford Windstar with a bad tranny and had it rebuilt.  While it was in the shop, the tranny on my 07 Honda Fit went out.  I had it towed there, too. They guys at the shop told me that it is not unusual to see newer vehicles come in with less than 100k and bad transmissions.  They say Dodge Vans and Chevy trucks/ larger suvs are the most common.  Further research has told me that if your auto transmission was made by Jatco, you may be replacing it at less than 100k. IN fact, I have become so disillusioned researching this, that I am only looking at manuals now.   

RookieEP

What car brands use Jatco?

bkelble
8 minutes ago, RookieEP said:

What car brands use Jatco?

Lots of companies use them.  Nissan owns most of the company, but they have sold transmissions to dodge, subaru, mazda... from what I understand.

25/06
On 12/28/2018 at 10:08 PM, RookieEP said:

For all you Chevy GM Dodge and Ford SUVs and Truck owners been with transmission reliability experience?   Newer 2 different neighbor suburbans and 1 silverado transmission blown all around 70-80,000 miles.  Buddy 08 Ram and brothers 2010 F250 trans blown as well each below 100,000 miles. Crazy thing none of these people TOW anything!  My wifes company uses Chevy trucks and lots of reports of transmission replacements below 100000.  Usually in that 70-80000 range right after warranty is void.  Funny thing my neighbor with the silverado if the dealer puts in the new transmission Chevy will warranty the new trans for a 100,000 miles.. what a crock.  

I do not know if you are casting stones to look for splashes or you are asking a serious questions?.... Who buys a 3/4 ton to pull nothing?

I have come to the conclusion domestic verses foreign for us little guys just trying to buy a decent vehicle is kinda of a mute point. Buy what you like. Luckily most of the vehicles other than the emissions on the diesels are light years ahead of the 80's.

My Brother worked for a company called FEIN TOOL in Tennesse. They make transmission parts for ALL major manufacturers. His biggest customers are Toyota, Nissan and Honda along with the big 3. His place made gears and valve bodies. When issues arose he would actually go to the assembly line ( wherever in the world) and help them first hand so I think he is pretty knowledgeable. He tells me some Toyota's have 100% GM transmissions in them as in you can actually unbolt it and bolt it into another vehicle by simply changing the tail shaft and adding a different computer. Ford's new 10speed truck transmissions is a joint venture between GM & Ford. Ford get it exclusively for a couple of years ( Build Ford Tough with Chevy parts?) GM is not doing this out of kindness they have the same joint venture on an 8 speed transmission for cars and cross overs. GM gets to use that exclusively first. That tells you how sophisticated these things are getting.

As far as maintenance. Go out and look for the transmission dip stick on many if not most new vehicle. You will be there a while, as they do not have dip sticks. Service means chance fluid at 80 or even 100K.

If you are super happy with the transmission in your Toyota/Honda/ Subaru and are content in the knowledge that foreign cars are superior to domestic, great be happy that you

bought a good product. Just don't look too deep into the sausage factory to see how things are made. A Toyota may have a transmission with a case cast in Mexico, filled with gears and assembled by redneck's in Tennessee and a computer bolted on the inside from China.

If you are the type that want to send a letter to tell the folks you appreciate a job well done it may need to be in German because FEIN TOOL is GERMAN.

paul frey

I had the transmission go on my 2012 Chevy Silverado at around 130,000?  I was not happy. No warranty. $5,000.00 out of pocket to replace.  Not sure I'll buy another one.

Speaks

I had the tranny go in my old Sierra at 140ish K, and the one in my F150 was starting to go at 150ish. My wife's Mercury SUV with the 4.3 V8 went at 90ish, shortly after replacing the tranny it threw a timing chain and I just dumped it. My current Tundra is past 140 and going strong but we will see. 

Overall my gripe with Ford and Chevy has been more fit and finish, the interiors were all getting pretty rough much past 100-120k, that was the most noticeable difference between that and my Tundra which you would think was new except that its missing USB and blue tooth. 

Its not really fair though as the Sierra was a 98 and the F150 an 02 (I think) while the Tundra is an 08. A Ford or Chevy made at that time might have held up just as well. 

25/06
1 hour ago, paul frey said:

I had the transmission go on my 2012 Chevy Silverado at around 130,000?  I was not happy. No warranty. $5,000.00 out of pocket to replace.  Not sure I'll buy another one.

I am not saying this happened to your vehicle, but I thought was ready for a transmission rebuild in my 2000 Ford Ranger 198,000. It was shifting erratically and popping in and out of 4 wheel drive. Luckily I visited with my uncle who owned a transmission shop, he agreed to look at it but when I mentioned I would bring it over after I replaced the battery he laughed and said replace the battery and I bet all your issues will be OK. I replaced battery and all was well.

There are a lot of less than scrupulous shops that are willing to take advantage of people. One of the newer ways to do this is to charge for expensive transmission repairs when your battery is bad. You have to remember transmissions after about 99 are mostly electronically shifted. If your battery is weak it can show up as a transmission refusing to change gears properly or many classic symptoms that used to be associated with a transmission failing.

If this happens to you get a new battery or a take a battery out of a vehicle that is working correctly and fits. This will help diagnose if the transmission is actually having an issue or not. The car can start properly but if the battery has dropped a cell or the voltage is fluctuating this can cause issues with your transmission.

I was ready to spend $2500 on a transmission and pretty darn happy when it turned out to be a $169 Battery. 

RookieEP

Lots of folks driving heavy duty trucks and not pulling.  Objective view. Im relating actual experiences that I know.  Ive been blessed except a 95 dodge neon transmission went out when in college around 76,000 miles.  I was mean to that vehicle.  My main point is how expensive these newer vehicles, not high mileage, while not performing heavy work.  I dream of owning a Tundra but not in my future. Wont own a Ford as the dealers service around here suck.  

bobman

Heat it is the trasmission killer ...Add an auxiliary trans cooler

I buy used and that’s the very first thing I do

I’ve owned many trucks all of them have run over 250k on trannys except the chevys

I buy good deals not a brand specific guy but have better luck with for transmissions  although their trans controls are often problematic 

I drive them till the wheels fall off, my Toyota Tacoma has over 400k on it the trans is starting to slip in reverse