Sign in to follow this  
Rusty Hill

Who trains brittanys

Rusty Hill

I may be getting a 7 month old female. I'm thinking about sending her to a professional to get started. Any recommendations?  I'm located in southern indiana so Illinois, Kentucky or indiana would be preferred.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Kansas Big Dog

My suggestion is to keep the pup for a short time so she gets to know you and you her. Do some back yard obedience work. Give her time to get adjusted to her new world. If you then feel like you need to have her trained, I would suggest Sur le Delavan Kennels in Delavan, Illinois. Clint does a lot of training of EB's and has training programs. 

https://www.surledelavankennel.com

Rusty Hill

Thank you Kbd. I will check out his site and go from there. I really have no experience training bird dogs, only coon hounds and squirrel dogs. I know you guys that hunt and train your own put a lot of time into it. Vie read where they may be a little softer temperament wise than other breeds is why I thought I may need the help of someone who fools with them regularly. 

ccavacini

Congratulations on your new pup.  I've had 3 Brittanys, all female.  Get pets. 

Ray Gubernat

Rusty -

I will echo KBD's suggestion on letting the dog acclimate to you for a few weeks.   I would also encourage you to make contact with prospective trainers now and find out, first, if your needs and their programs are a good fit.  If so, then pick their brains and find out what you should do with the dog before you send  the dog to the trainer.

Brittanys are fun dogs.  They have a very definite personality.   It is very typical for a Brittany to com bouncing up to you with the question... " I'm Here...SO...where's the party??

They are also, typically, a fairly soft dog that is eager to please and do what you want it to do.    A moderately raised voice is often all you need in the way of discipline. 

IMO, they are an outstanding choice for someone who is new to bird dogs, because of their willingness to please.  Have fun.

RayG

Rusty Hill

I appreciate the willingness to offer ideas from all of you. I'm listening to it all. That's what I like about this site. Thank you 

terrym

My first bird dog is a Brittany. Great hunter, great family dog. They crave human interaction and want to please. Mine sleeps at the foot of my bed. Got him from Wild Mountain Brittany’s in Aleppo Pennsylvania. If they’re still in the game you can’t go wrong with Helen. 

bobman

IF it was mine I would send it to Maurice

http://lindleykennel.com/

he's deaf so phone contacts is probably going thru his wife

Curt
On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 9:50 AM, bobman said:

IF it was mine I would send it to Maurice

http://lindleykennel.com/

he's deaf so phone contacts is probably going thru his wife

This is good advice, Maurice has worked with three of my brits over the years, really good guy.