aje4

Eyes on the Ice!

aje4

First time out ice fishing for eyes and we did ok last night.  Left with several nice size eyes between 21-24”.  Fun times!

1B5DB149-9CD5-4D64-A72B-5B57BEC4C09F.jpeg

3B04E7EE-BAB7-4FCF-818B-84667FFC8A01.jpeg

Millriver

Nice!

WPG Gizmo

Good eating right there

Remo

A friend started smoking walleyes this winter and I have to say it is one of the best smoked fish I have had. Who'd a thunk?

Spin

The smaller fish in your left hand looks like a sauger or saugeye (hybred) judging by the mottling and coloration. Can't tell if there are spots in the dorsal or not.

It may just be the lighting too. Nice fish anyway you slice it but generally If an eye is over 20/21 in. I figure it's a good breeder candidate and it gets a free ride.

Honestly I like the smaller sized fish when it comes to eating walleye. There's no size limit or closed season on walleye on the Winnebago chain.

aje4

I usually don’t keep eyes this size except on this lake as the size limit is 18”.  It has a lot of eyes if you know where to find them.....usually only fish it early ice.

Okhotnik

Jigging or tip ups?

shiners?

UplandHntr

Very nice! You in your area or up north? Our lake up north is up to 12” of ice. 

dogrunner

Nice fish, the way this winter is going I might need a boat, there is no or very little ice in my area. 

aje4

It was a combination of tip ups and jigging.....shallow water early ice in my area.  Up north by our place has 12 + inches of ice....