Sign in to follow this  
Okhotnik

Ice fishing Devils lake and surrounding area

Okhotnik

Just retired and thought for some crazy reason would like to go hit Devils Lake in ND and then explore some of the prairie lakes. It’s always been in the back of mind since I was a kid to ice fish this lake.

love catching big pike and of course perch walleyes and pan fish

anyone fish this area and any pointers? Any of the smaller bodies of water worth exploring. 

bringing portable shelter, depth finder, heater plus tip ups, sled for gear, spin jig poles.  

Worthwhile to throw atv in back of truck?

probably stay at Devils lake resort

thinking of fishing Ft Peck reservoir in Montana on way home and maybe Black feet Rez lakes too. 

Fish those in summer 

C.J.L.

Might want to look into Sakakawea if you're out that way.  But it's not a little prairie pothole.  

Okhotnik

I pheasant hunt near Sakakawea.

i know large body of water but is it known for large pike and perch?   I heard walleye numbers good there.

C.J.L.

Between the lake and the tailrace a lot of ND's state record fish have been caught there.  37 pound pike was caught in Sak.  That's a fair size pike.  

watermen

Remo would be the guy to ask,  I have not been to Devils for hard water in 13-14 years since I moved to Missouri.  I get back to glacial lakes area at least once a year,  the big perch and mix of walleye are easier in my opinion on the smaller lakes.  Caveat, it takes a local with timely info on which lake is going off, Right now!  They tend to catch them out pretty fast on the smaller sloughs.  If going to Devils it would be best to hire a guide, they are deep and it is a big lake.  I have plans to go end of march, this is usually the best perch bite before the ice goes.  It was 40 in ND today, so ice might not be good for long.  I have only fished  Fort Peck in a boat, with a guide for lakers and walleye-nice ones.  6-15 pound northerns are common and a pain when fishing for the perch species.

Remo

I don't have contacts at DL anymore so only get the internet reports. Creel Bay on DL has an excellent lodge with guides that caters to sportsmen. They plough roads on the ice and pickups are driving on the big lake. Kyle Blanchfield is the owner but damn if I can remember the name of his place. If you bring an ATV you will be more mobile as some of the landings get snowed in for trucks on the smaller lakes. The Ashley area has a number of walleye lakes too.

Okhotnik

Thanks for info

getting a guide for few days to start off fishing.

Remo

I'll send you a PM.