Sign in to follow this  
GSPpurist

Two-way radios

GSPpurist

Any recommendations for 2-way radios.  I need them for this summer with remote fishing in Idaho.  Range about 5-10 miles from camp in the mountains.  Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance. 

grouse28

Most are line of sight reception, regardless of distance. Mountain peak to mountain peak you might get 10 miles. Cross over the peak and you have nothing.

UplandHntr

I gave up on 2 way radios 10+ years ago. I actually sent a pair of 15 mile radios back to Midland as they didn't get 1/2 mile over open water line of sight. I argued with them numerous times and they kept telling me that trees and buildings etc would reduce the distance. I reminded them many times that I could see the person from shore, in a boat, a 1/2 mile out on the lake. Reception was so poor 2 way communication was almost impossible. It was like talking to a kindergartner. She refused to go off script. Now that I remember this - I sent them 2 radios to be looked at and they sent me back only one. That was another phone call and argument.

I just chuckle when I see these ridiculous claims about distance. Never again.

marsingbob

I have a pair that are several years old.  Good for a mile or two line of sight.  No way you will get transmission through a mountain!

Coalman

If you can find a Garmin 530 HCX you can't go wrong. I've had mine about eight years now. Same battery. Still lasts all day.

They pair with the newer Garmin touchscreens (650's).

You can see where everybody is on the screen.

Topo maps look like you are reading a USGS map.

They have 5 watts of power. Range is a couple miles in flat civilized country with lots of power poles and transmission lines.

More than that when we use them in north central Maine.

Flush

As others has mentioned, unless you are extremely lucky with good line of sight between where your two parties are, two-way radios probably aren't going to work at those distances

Assuming no cell coverage, the cheapest option (and it won't be cheap) would probably be satellite 2-way messengers.

You couldn't talk but you could basically send texts back and forth. 

Not sure how much you "need" this communication, but at 10 miles away in typical mountainous back-country terrain it's unlikely any radios are going to work and Sat. is probably going to be the only thing that reliably works. 

GSPpurist

It was for communication between me in my boat fishing for cutthroats and downstream at camp.  Multiple parties.  I just may use a flair gun.