OHhamster

Playing with a pointy dog

OHhamster

Anyone here work on your dogs point while playing fetch? My pups favorite toy is what used to be a stuffed animal moose. It’s basically a rag at this point. When I play fetch with her in the house, I’ll drag the moose around on the ground and she’ll go into a point. She’ll hold point until I throw the toy. I’ve been using these points to style her up. Anyone out there that does this?

OHhamster

Heres a pic. Just wondering (from the more experienced trainers) if this could somehow be a bad thing. In my head she’s learning patience and form.

FFD10764-A085-435A-8E00-6B6E5F2EF5CF.jpeg

Pomoxis

Get her on birds. Dont worry about toy moose. My 2 cents....

OHhamster
18 minutes ago, Pomoxis said:

Get her on birds. Dont worry about toy moose. My 2 cents....

I would love to but all the woodcock left town over a month ago and unfortunately there is no other birds in town other than blue jays. I plan on a preserve hunt in the next month or so.

doodlecrazy

The only thing I add in while playing fetch is a Whoa command once in awhile to serve as a reminder. 

bobman

Don’t worry about it, a point is just a part of a stalk and that’s what she’s doing when she’s playing with that toy

wont matter at all 

browndrake

I'm definitely a neophyte...Only have trained three dogs.  

My bias:  the point is a natural instinct and is a relationship between the dog and the bird. The dog will learn to hold point longer as the birds teach it, if we don't get in the way too much and mess things up. 

Style: I know little about it and don't really care about it much either.  If my dogs find birds, point until released to retrieve, and retrieve nicely to hand then I'm a happy man.

House/yard work is a great time to work on relationships with our dogs and teach obedience....come, whoa, down, or whatever commands you like/find useful.

Just my 2¢ and like I said, I'm just a beginner myself.

OHhamster
3 minutes ago, browndrake said:

I'm definitely a neophyte...Only have trained three dogs.  

My bias:  the point is a natural instinct and is a relationship between the dog and the bird and the bird.  The dog will learn to hold point longer as the birds teach it, if we don't get in the way too much and mess things up. 

Style: I know little about it and don't really care about it much either.  If my dogs find birds, point until released to retrieve, and retrieve nicely to hand then I'm a happy man.

House/yard work is a great time to work on relationships with our dogs and teach obedience....come, whoa, down, or whatever commands you like/find useful.

Just my 2¢ and like I said, I'm just a beginner myself.

I appreciate the replies! I trained her in the back yard with wings from a preserve, a bumper I’d throw once she held point,  and a cap gun from drug mart. I’m not huge on style either, just playing with the dog and trying to take advantage of the situation. This is my first bird dog. If she finds me birds(and she does), I’m a happy camper. 

406dn

Here is my advice, you MAY be inadvertently teaching your dog that when it points,, it is an expectation that it can see the object of its attention.

A pointing dog should be pointing based on its smelling a bird. The only visual stimulation compelling a point should be the sight of another dog on point. 

There are numerous things you could work on that will make for a better dog. You do not need birds to teach heel. Actually it is far better to teach whoa without birds, wings etc. You can teach the dog to handle without birds. You can teach the dog to come to you without birds. If you get all of these put well into place, they will be there more or less when you get the dog on birds.

OHhamster

That what kind of my concern based on reading previous threads here from the past couple of years. I don’t consider these training sessions by any means and I don’t do it all the time. We’re just playing. Please keep the advice coming.

406dn

You are training your dog anytime you are around it,,even if you don't realize it. It's better to realize it.

max2

8 minutes ago, OHhamster said:

That what kind of my concern based on reading previous threads here from the past couple of years. I don’t consider these training sessions by any means and I don’t do it all the time. We’re just playing. Please keep the advice coming.

This is what I came away with ^^^^^ Play'n and bonding are a good thing with any dog & not just gun dogs(JMHO) That said ~ A man said to me once when I got my first bird dog ~" You get him coming and you got it licked "  More true words have not been spoken. When we research and buy these prospects . Were buying their god given talents. We show them a good life and what we expect of them and cut um loose.  Then we get to see what  is in our little bundle of joy . Play ,   the sun rises and sets on you the trainer, get him to come when called  &    no    "just a minutes"    once they know what come means.    Basic obedience and let the birds bring out the rest.  It really helps if you have  stock pile live  birds at your  facility for training.   Good luck ! Have fun ! The both of you !    

OHhamster

I’ve grown up with dogs in the house. As mentioned before, this is my first bird dog. I always felt like I always had an understanding of how to love, respect, and get respect from a dog. But I have never had a dog that follows me around like this one does. It’s to the point of me standing in the kitchen and she lays down on my feet.?Might not be everyone’s cup of tea, but I’m loving the hell out of it! Needless to say, we have a bond. I don’t want to jump the gun and say “once in a lifetime”, but I’ve never felt a connection to a dog like this one. I get her out as much as I can and she’ll find them if they’re there. Honestly, don’t care if we don’t find a bird at all. I have no problem with a well armed walk in the woods. You get use to it quick being a bird hunter here.

SLR

I agree with 406dn's comments about encouraging sight pointing might lead to the dog crowding its birds. That is the conventional wisdom and I can't dispute it based on my own experience, because I didn't play those games with our dogs. I keep a flock of homers and work pups and dogs on hidden birds so they routinely point their birds by scent. Starting at 6 to 8 wks of age.  You will find out when you start putting your pup on birds if it is going to creep in on a scent cone looking to see the bird or not. Hopefully not. Which leads to the recommendation that you team up with another partner with bird dogs that also can supply some birds. An alternative is to trap or buy some pigeons.  Wild birds are best, but not available in numbers for most people starting a pointing dog. Handsome pup by the way.

Hal Standish

I do not believe that any good comes from sight pointing exercises. The nose knows leave it at that.