MSchafer

Very basic e-collar suggestions

MSchafer

Normally I would over think this and research it to death but I 'm in a time crunch, I'm looking for a simple collar for my lab I  really only want  a tone feature and stim the reason for the time issue is I"d like to have it by Friday. suggestions greatly appreciated 

MS

stripersonfly

I have the Garmin Delta XC.  It is very reasonably priced at $170, and I have been very happy with it.  It has tone, vibration, momentary/continuous stimulation options and 18 intensity levels.  Range they say is 1/2 mile. 

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/512224#box

If you have Amazon prime you could have it delivered by Thursday

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Delta-XC-Bundle-training/dp/B00V8ND7K8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1546973902&sr=8-1&keywords=Delta+XC

Mine has held up nicely, but I am a weekend warrior trainer training a sinle dog.  A FBEC.

Clueless1

I have the SportDog 875.  Seems to be ok for a lab, and I'm pretty simple. 

Zkight89
33 minutes ago, stripersonfly said:

I have the Garmin Delta XC.  It is very reasonably priced at $170, and I have been very happy with it.  It has tone, vibration, momentary/continuous stimulation options and 18 intensity levels.  Range they say is 1/2 mile. 

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/512224#box

If you have Amazon prime you could have it delivered by Thursday

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Delta-XC-Bundle-training/dp/B00V8ND7K8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1546973902&sr=8-1&keywords=Delta+XC

Mine has held up nicely, but I am a weekend warrior trainer training a sinle dog.  A FBEC. 

What kind of range have you tested it too? Especially in thick brush/ woods.

Scrappy

X2 on the Garmin Delta. It's cheap and mine has worked without any issue for the 5 years I've had it. I can verify that it works to at least 800 yards in open country.

MSchafer

Thanks to all of you for the input I have the X2 on the way for delivery Thursday and is what the "trainer" we will be hunting with Friday was going to loan me for the day. 

stripersonfly
18 hours ago, Zkight89 said:

What kind of range have you tested it too? Especially in thick brush/ woods.

Zkight89,

The farthest I have ever had to use it is maybe 250 yards.  Being a flusher, Sadie works pretty closely, and if she starts getting out there, I call her back in.  But even when walking her and I am less concerned about range, here in New England, we just do not have many areas where the dog is still in sight, and is much further away than that (especially when you are talking about a cocker).  For me, I cannot think of a situation where I would want to send a correction if I could not tell visually what the dog was doing.

Zkight89

That's plenty far for my purposes. Now and then my Lab insists on investigating something 100 yards out and my little yard trainer loses signal after about 30 yardsin brush. 

MAArcher

I've had two Garmin Delta upland XC's and neither worked.  Bark function didn't work and stim was inconsitent.  Push the button one time and you'd hardly feel the stim (testing the collar on your hand).  Push it a again on the same setting and it would buckle your knees.  Very disappointing.  Maybe the non-upland models are better.

stripersonfly

MAArcher,

Ugh, now you have me concerned.  I don't have the upland model with the bark limiter or beeper, but do not like the idea of variations in stimulus.  I have used the collar on myself (tested it at several times at several levels when I first purchased it) and never noticed any variation.  What sort of sample size did you need in order to replicate the variation in stimulation?

topdog1961

I've said it before, for a basic trainer the more recent model Sportdogs are excellent. I've sold a few Sportdogs as a side line to my underground fence business for 16 years.  Most were sold at my dealer cost to family and friends. The older blocky ones had issues with internal antennae breaking in the receiver, and batteries crapping out every couple years. But the smaller radius cornered ones they came out with about 3-4 years ago fixed those issues. They charge in half the time and stay charged twice as long.  

MAArcher
35 minutes ago, stripersonfly said:

MAArcher,

Ugh, now you have me concerned.  I don't have the upland model with the bark limiter or beeper, but do not like the idea of variations in stimulus.  I have used the collar on myself (tested it at several times at several levels when I first purchased it) and never noticed any variation.  What sort of sample size did you need in order to replicate the variation in stimulation?

Every time I tried it, it would be inconsistent.    What I can't figure out is how can it stim at a low, level, and then at a high level the next second?  And then one or the other a minute later?  I could understand if there was a recovery period so stimulations in succession got progressive weaker, but the other way around is mystifying.  

But if you have a collar that's working I'd guess you're OK.  My two collars were defective right out of the box, it wasn't like I had them for a while and then they stopped working.  I was only able to return one of them so I'm still stuck using the other.  Battery like on the collar sucks to.   Shame.  If everything worked as advertised it would be the best collar on the market for the money.

stripersonfly

OK.  The upland collar seems to have a few more bells and whistles, in addition to the bark limiter and beeper, it can auto adjust the stimulation levels.  I am wondering if it is the automatic adjustment that may be the culprit. 

MAArcher
14 minutes ago, stripersonfly said:

OK.  The upland collar seems to have a few more bells and whistles, in addition to the bark limiter and beeper, it can auto adjust the stimulation levels.  I am wondering if it is the automatic adjustment that may be the culprit. 

No, the auto ramp up feature for the bark function is the only function that seemed to work correctly.  Its manual set bark and momentary stim that's inconsistent.