whiskyjack

Blue Picardy's

whiskyjack

In my researching a pup, I have come across a breed I had never heard of. I fellow I know fairly well, but haven't seen in a few years posted a link on FB about Blue Picardy's.

The picture he included is of a very smart looking dog which is his. I haven't had the chance to message him as he is out of town currently. I got the impression he is looking into becoming a breeder, something I think he would do well at.

Anyway, until I can get in touch with him, does anyone know much about this breed? While I am still interested in a Brittany, I am intrigued by the Blue Picardy.

Jeff

GANGGREEN

Very small breed, very rare, at least on this side of the Atlantic.  I think Chiendog knows something about them.  They are pretty for sure and I had considered them for my next pup, but I guess I've decided that they're too "old world" in style for my taste and that the breed is too small to feel confident that there may not be some breeding issues with them.  Good luck and post your experiences as you research them.

Brad Eden

Here is a recent Topic on Picardys from someone very well versed in this breed and others:

polecat

I have been looking around for info on the Blue Picardy. Very limited breeders in North America.

chiendog

Blue Picardies and Picardies are related but separate breeds. 

Both are variations of the classic French Spaniel and both are from the northern region of France known as Picardy.

Picardies: Brown + grey coat with tan points. Recognized by NAVHDA but not by the AKC or CKC
Blue: Black + grey coat, no tan points. Recognized by NAVHDA and the CKC but not by the AKC

Both breeds are sort of 4x4 versions of setters. But Picardies tend to be a bit bigger than Blues and have a bit more bone and character (can take a bit more pressure, but are still on the softer side) Blues tend to be a bit lighter, faster and may be a bit bigger running (due to a bit more setter blood in them) but may not be as driven for water work...there are also a few non-hunting breeders of Blues both in France and in North America. All Picardy breeders (so far) are hunters. 

Blues used to be way less popular than Picardies..barely on the radar until the 1980s. But there was a big upturn in their population in the 1990s and a few folks over here in North America started breeding them. Since then, they have sort of plateaued and now the Picardy is on the rise. You can get pups from either breed in North America, but the only breeder of Blues that I know of focussing on hunting and field trials is Vince Aiello. He is in Alberta, Canada. Here is a link to the Facebook page for his kennel "Old Blue Jeans" https://www.facebook.com/Old-Blue-Jeans-Kennels-Blue-Picardy-Spaniels-800612146947825 

For more info on the breed, here is part of the chapter on the breed from my book: http://www.dogwilling.ca/dogwillingblog/2012/07/breed-of-week-blue-picardy-spaniel_17.html

600w

john mcg

A handsome dog that is.

DennisMcFeely

I love that blue roan coloring, particularly on cockers.  Pretty dog

Brad Eden
53 minutes ago, DennisMcFeely said:

I love that blue roan coloring, particularly on cockers.  Pretty dog

Yes, also the yellow roan on cockers.

whiskyjack
11 hours ago, chiendog said:

Blue Picardies and Picardies are related but separate breeds. 

Both are variations of the classic French Spaniel and both are from the northern region of France known as Picardy.

Picardies: Brown + grey coat with tan points. Recognized by NAVHDA but not by the AKC or CKC
Blue: Black + grey coat, no tan points. Recognized by NAVHDA and the CKC but not by the AKC

Both breeds are sort of 4x4 versions of setters. But Picardies tend to be a bit bigger than Blues and have a bit more bone and character (can take a bit more pressure, but are still on the softer side) Blues tend to be a bit lighter, faster and may be a bit bigger running (due to a bit more setter blood in them) but may not be as driven for water work...there are also a few non-hunting breeders of Blues both in France and in North America. All Picardy breeders (so far) are hunters. 

Blues used to be way less popular than Picardies..barely on the radar until the 1980s. But there was a big upturn in their population in the 1990s and a few folks over here in North America started breeding them. Since then, they have sort of plateaued and now the Picardy is on the rise. You can get pups from either breed in North America, but the only breeder of Blues that I know of focussing on hunting and field trials is Vince Aiello. He is in Alberta, Canada. Here is a link to the Facebook page for his kennel "Old Blue Jeans" https://www.facebook.com/Old-Blue-Jeans-Kennels-Blue-Picardy-Spaniels-800612146947825 

For more info on the breed, here is part of the chapter on the breed from my book: http://www.dogwilling.ca/dogwillingblog/2012/07/breed-of-week-blue-picardy-spaniel_17.html

600w

chiendog,

Thanks very much for the info. Very useful. 

Small world, Vince is the friend I referred to. I live about 3hrs from where he lives.

I'll be in his neighbourhood at the end of the month and will try and visit with him.

Meanwhile, I'll check out your book.

Jeff

whiskyjack

Thanks for the replies folks.

Lots of great info. They seem to be quite the breed.

Rare is one word to describe them!

Jeff

chiendog
1 hour ago, whiskyjack said:

Rare is one word to describe them!

Yes, the breed is relatively rare, but so is the English Setter..in England.

Here is an article I wrote on how the word 'rare' does not mean good or bad when it comes to gun dog breeds. http://www.dogwilling.ca/dogwillingblog/2013/01/rare-doesn-mean-goodor-bad.html?rq=rare

Brad Eden

Topic edited to keep it on track and not blow up. Questioning the viability of obscure breeds is certainly fodder for a separate Topic. Totally understandable that the moderating here is too strict for some.

Dogwood
21 hours ago, chiendog said:

600w

Wow that dog is so beautiful I wouldn't care if it hunted at all.  I want.  Does she have a sister?

Crazy Horse

Wow, handsome dog to say the least.

RuffChaser

There are very few breeds that could tempt me to wander of the setter trail. That is one that has some potential. One of the others is a long haired weimaraner. I have a thing for shags and apparently dogs that Craig has had or currently owns.