Dakota Dogman

Why I love my IH Scouts

Dakota Dogman

So a couple of weeks ago we got a bunch of snow.  MN cold, and I didn't have time to drive it for a couple of weeks.  Then I went to the cities and the Scout got snowed in... and plowed in twice. 

Fired right up, first try... 

Please forgive the format... my 14 year old didn't think to turn the camera.

And yes, I forgot and left the ebrake on.... 

God Bless, 

25/06

When I was in school, I got a job collecting soil samples in farm fields. When Jeep CJ I used burned down the guy I worked for bought a Scout very similar to yours.

It was a BIG improvement over the jeep for ride and would really go places. I enjoyed driving that Scout. Driving across a bean field back when they cultivated beans was not fun in

a C.J., the distance between front and rear axles was exactly 5 rows plus the stiff suspension, it was a rough ride. The Scout was like riding on a cloud in comparison.

I hope you cleaned the snow off the roof before hitting the road!

RookieEP

Me likes.  Quite cool 

Brad Eden

IMG_0256.JPG

Yeah. Beasts...wish I never sold mine a few years out of college. It would be a fun rig to have up here. (You got a burnt out reverse light...)

Dakota Dogman

Actually Brad I finally have 3 out of 4 working! 😁

Thanks all...

God Bless,

Brad Eden

Something viscerally satisfying turning those front hubs and shoving the lever into 4WD. 

WMassGriff

Used to own one with the V8 and saddle tanks. Gold with white top and wide stripes on hood. Traveled all over NEast with that one until commuting to college caused my gas budget to suffer and I sold it. A real tank with a Haywagon suspension!

fourtrax57

Can you even find them used anymore?

SelbyLowndes

I bought a green one new in 1972 and drove it until 1988.  No air conditioning; the driver side window panel was rusted out from my arm sweating in south Ga when I gave it to my FIL for a beach car.  Notwithstanding your video be assured you could get one stuck...SelbyLowndes

The Carryalls were pretty good cars as well; better than a Suburban I thought.

Make that Travelall, memory lapse.

Edited by SelbyLowndes
added last sentence

WyomingArt

Bought a well used 1965 series 80 with a steel top, crank windows, circa 1972.  It had no insulation, no headliner, no floor mats, 4.27 rear end,  drove it for years.  Replaced it only when the family expanded.  It was still around town decades after I don't know how many owners. Chained up all 4 wheels it was a beast.  Rarely had to get out the Handiman jack, shovel, cables and chains.

Miles per gallon was just a vague, wishful  concept though.

settem

Good looking Scout. 

They are cool old vehicles. 

Sounds like you have a collection. 

Got any 401s laying around?

mister grouse

My first was a '62.  Saw some rough, rough country.  Once in a very remote place, the left rear wheel fell off, partially pulling the axle with it from the rear gear case.  The resulting drop cut the left rear  brake lines  when the left rear wheel drum drug the ground, and the brake fluid all drained out.  Somehow I found the nut that held the wheel assembly  in place to the axle. .  I retrieved the wheel assembly from a creek where it had rolled .  Fashioned a cotter key from a nail I found  in the vehicle, and bent it up and inserted through the cotter key hole in the  axle in order to hold the nut that held the wheel assembly in place .  So with no brakes,  a wheel held by a bent nail that I expected  to fall off again at any time , and no rear drive power , I somehow locked the front hubs and used only the front wheel drive in the LOW range to get twenty miles home by never exceeding 15 mph and gearing down to first gear low as I approached any potential stop so I never really had to come to a full stop..  White knuckle would an understatement in describing  that ride.  So yes, I know about old Scouts.

Tim Frazier

I'm just jealous.

thirdbite

Had one of the early ones in the 60's.  Underpowered 4 cyl. - had a hill out of the river valley to get to the other side of town. Wrap it up in first gear, speed shift to second and hope it made it up the hill.  In deep snow, it would crawl up on the snow and then drop down and get high centered on the skid plates..  Finally, one day I started to go deer hunting and made it two blocks when teeth fell off the rear end gears and began to grind.  Sold it happily.

Dakota Dogman
2 hours ago, fourtrax57 said:

Can you even find them used anymore?

Yes, and even some deals if the right people know you are looking. I am going to have one for sale this spring. Guy knew I love them and needed cash. Want to do a spring over lift, got an old guy who does a great carbs job, and a couple of other things to it 1st. 

God bless,