bkelble

Do you need AWD/4WD?

bkelble

Would you say that you "need" more than 2wd to get to your hunting locations? I have owned an AWD or 4WD vehicle for the last 13 or 14 years, but I remember hunting all over Ohio in 2wd cars and trucks before that.  

chilly460

Yes.  Until this year I could've probably avoided it, but it's been so incredibly wet everywhere I've gone has been tenuous without 4wd.  Now, could I have parked smarter and struggled a bit and gotten away with 2wd?  Sure.  But, I like the insurance of having 4wd on my truck.  I'm headed out tomorrow with 6-10" forecasted starting in the afternoon when I'm driving 1.5hrs home, I like not having to worry about my route.  

SEPAlander

Probably not. Like previous poster, with some good judgement, could probably get away pretty easily with 2WD, and some could probably use a car with pretty low ground clearance. In all honesty, I have a 4WD car more as a matter of convenience than actual need. I probably have my car in 4WD less than 5 times a year. But when I use it, I do like the security and convenience. Don't do a lot of driving on that car (~6K miles/year) so the penalty in efficiency isn't a big consideration.

dogrunner

Yes, the last 2 years have been extremely wet both rain and snow.  Next year might need an Ark. 

Clueless1

I need it more for my driveway than hunting. 

MNice

Geographically speaking, yes. The only months I really don't need it would be June through August. My FIL was insistent for years that he could go anywhere with front wheel drive and good tires that any AWD or 4WD could and without fail, I pushed his stubborn arse out our driveway and up the hill almost every time they came to visit during the winter. Never failed, they'd show up at our door in the worst of weather. He now has an AWD vehicle not because he thought it was a good idea but rather a good deal.

We've had AWD or 4WD vehicles for thirty years and the convenience, security, and safety they provide goes without  question. Fuel efficiency is not a trade off, where we live.

oak stob

Yes, but I like 4wd for much the same reason as I like the Astro....for the one time it will make a positive difference.

I would say the same even if the process still required exiting the vehicle and a crescent wrench.

Tim Frazier

I killed more birds and hunted farther from home when I only had my Vibe.  I also never got stuck and as my girls used to say "dad takes his car where cars aren't supposed to be"  I put 1 1/2" taller snow tires on it and a hitch should I need a pull  but in general I went where I wanted.  Don't get me wrong, I walked more than I do now hunting out of a 4x4 F150 but as we all know, birds like the edges of those forest roads so who knows what I drive by now!

59f277c4aba07_image(3).thumb.jpg.0f4c11d2badc6730c3cd4cf0b9af89aa.jpg

martyg

I generally need ground clearance more than 4WD. I had my 4Runner raised 2" and put larger tires on it. I don't scrape anymore.

My everyday winter driver has been a FWD car with awesome snows on it.

kgb

Sufficient ground clearance and effective tires on a FWD would have gotten me through most of the places I've actually used the 4wd of my trucks over the years.  If a small SUV were on the slate I'd look at reviews of how necessary AWD is for those who own them.

oak stob

Just a note and opinion...one problem with ground clearance and tires as a solution is that, at times, maybe, one needs to get back thru a rough patch on a road.

The return is what often gets folks stuck....rough patches can get rougher.

Reverse or Park are both our friends.

ARKBRDHUNTER

Yes mainly because when I need it I really need it. An innocent looking mud puddle that suddenly is not. Frozen roads that thaw while hunting. I too hunted for many years out of a 2WD truck but the peace of mind of having 4WD is well worth it. 

MAArcher

Yup, the extra ground clearance is needed more than the 4x4. 

That said, my first car was a 1982 Dodge Omni bought for $600 in 1987.  I drove that thing down every dirt road in southern Maine like I was rally racing Paris to Dakar.  

Flush

Yes sometimes I need 4x4 to get to where I am hunting, or more importantly back out.

Sometimes, twice in the last year, I have needed chains as well as 4x4.

You could still do a lot of hunting with only 2wd in the regions I hunt in, but you would be limited. 

It always cracks me up when guys say "guys with 4x4 are just lazy, just park and walk the rest of the way in"

Ok yeah, just walk that last 20 to 30 miles. 

oldbird

Northern Minnesota, ya you betcha! The pickups rear end is light even with sand bags. Traveling with just the dog  as a partner, 20" wheels and 4 WD takes some of the difficulty out.